Towing capacity

mburklu

Observer
I have a '98 ford Club Wagon, 7.3 Diesel, 12 passenger, with Quigley conversion. Anybody know what the towing capacity is with the conversion?

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
Best I could find is 10K max, but that is likely for a light e350(assumption). Vehicle weight and gear ratio change the tow capacity. Quigley may be able to tell you.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Has nothing to do with Quigley. They do not set such ratings.

Depends upon gearing first and foremost. Curb weight second. Being a conversion van it will weight more than stock, so this detracts from your payload capacity and tow capacity.

The E350 should have the same GCVWR as the F350 of similar vintage.

3:55 geats = 16,000 max GCVWR
4:10 gears = 20,000 max GCVWR

So take one of those numbers depending upon your gearing, and subtract your curb weight. Say your van weighs 10,000lbs and you have 4:10 gears, then you have a 10,000lbs tow capacity.

With that said, if you need to haul anything with more than a 500lb tongue weight (5,000lb tow) you will need a weight distribution hitch to so it safely.

The only way a E series can tow its max rated tow capacity is with a WD hitch.

mburklu

Observer
Thanks IdaSHO, just the info. I needed. I figured the Quigley conversion would come into play more than just weight. Thanks again!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Has nothing to do with Quigley. They do not set such ratings.

Depends upon gearing first and foremost. Curb weight second. Being a conversion van it will weight more than stock, so this detracts from your payload capacity and tow capacity.

The E350 should have the same GCVWR as the F350 of similar vintage.

3:55 geats = 16,000 max GCVWR
4:10 gears = 20,000 max GCVWR

So take one of those numbers depending upon your gearing, and subtract your curb weight. Say your van weighs 10,000lbs and you have 4:10 gears, then you have a 10,000lbs tow capacity.

With that said, if you need to haul anything with more than a 500lb tongue weight (5,000lb tow) you will need a weight distribution hitch to so it safely.

The only way a E series can tow its max rated tow capacity is with a WD hitch.

I wish that was true, but the E series doesn't have anywhere near the towing capacity of a F series.

RickM

Observer
Speaking of towing, or even hauling for that matter. I have a 5.4 gas e350 12 passenger. I am towing a trailer occasionally with a rather heavy tongue weight. I gutted the inside of my van and did the sienna seat install. Just yesterday, I wound up picking up a Honda Eu3000is generator yesterday, and I noticed, with it just inside the doors, that my suspension felt different. I would imagine with the seats gone, this is what it would feel like loaded down, but when towing my tailer, the van just does not handle the way I would like, and the back end drops more than I would like. I am running a WDH system now, but have any of you found ways to improve handling while towing without completely messing up ride quality while not towing? I have been considering adding a leaf. I would rather not bag it, as I don't want to have to constantly check air pressure.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Do you have factory upper overloads?

Like this?

superswaystops_drawing.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior