Gen 3 Pics help

The Viper

Adventurer
So I might be buying a nice gen 3 next week, I had the dealer send me some pics of the underbody...can some of you guys take a look at the pics and see if you see any potential problems? Vehicle has 117k.

Attachments

• 1812.jpg
    1812.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 61
  • 1825.jpg
    1825.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 61
  • 1826.jpg
    1826.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1827.jpg
    1827.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1830.jpg
    1830.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 66
  • 1891.jpg
    1891.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 1892.jpg
    1892.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 1894.jpg
    1894.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 59

The Viper

Adventurer
the only picture that has me anxious , is the shot of the front, the lower right (where transmission line are???), its seems really corroded, possible from an impact to that area?

nckwltn

Explorer
the only picture that has me anxious , is the shot of the front, the lower right (where transmission line are???), its seems really corroded, possible from an impact to that area?

there is a crunch there for sure.... there should a large metal shield bolted in the front to protect that area, and prevent you from seeing it... whatever caused the damage to that area probably trashed the shield and possibly made it impossible to blot back in place.

battery looks like it needs some attention as well

wheels don't look stock, they might be cool looking, but being low profile like that gives you less room to air-down on the trail.

miles are pretty low, so that's a plus.....

might not hurt to have alignment checked to make sure it isn't off due to whatever happened there.

The Viper

Adventurer
yeah the tires are horrible, previous owner had no interest in trails only "flash"...i wont be using mine for alot of offroading, only camping excursions, maybe some dirt roads.

I dont suppose you have a pic of what the area should look like? Is it possible to get that shield from the junkyard (its simple bolt on?)

EDIT: oh yeah there was history with a right front impact with a parked vehicle...i figured it was a low speeds parking lot incident and not much to worry about

The Viper

Adventurer
Heh Peter, (its Ethan)

Id like to buy one out of the rust belt, this monty has spent its whole life in New Jersey...they use salt very sparingly in NJ (have family down there)

montypower

Adventure Time!
Hey Ethan! What the heck are you doing in NY? What did you do with your Gen2 Monte?

That truck has way, way too much rust / corrosion or whatever you want to call it. I'd avoid rust like the plague.

The Viper

Adventurer
Heh Peter, moved back to NY a couple years ago to be closer too family (now we're to close) I'm selling my gen 2 tomorrow. As far as the pics, you really think there is a lot of rust, with the exception of the lower front right, it seems pretty decent

I wish I had the time or money to be searching on the west coast or the deep south, but with one kid starting school and the other is only 5months, I simply can't make the time frame work :(

Porvalsh

Observer
I feel like there's too much rust as well. Only observable rust I had on my rig was on the exhaust.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

There's a 20th rig in Bend, 117k, looks in decent shape. No shots of the undercarriage though.

The Viper

Adventurer
I wish I could find a vehicle without rust, I know they are out there (in my neck of the woods), people bring west coast vehicles here (I did)...but that would involve a long patient game...this vehicle is in NJ, where they dont use alot of salt...it has rust, but the frame itself looks straight.

Eric M

Adventurer
this vehicle is in NJ, where they dont use alot of salt...it has rust, but the frame itself looks straight.
That's wrong, run the hell away from it if you are looking for less rust. Salting is crazy here. For 5 months the roads are basically made of salt.

The Viper

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all your help... I think I'm going to pass this Monty up. Overall I don't think the rust is bad, and I consider myself an expert in this as I've lived in Oregon (salt free) and NY (salt, salt, salt)

The problem is underneath the front bumper, it's missing the entire skid plate (it looks like it's been sheared off) due to a front impact collision, and that collision has caused excessive corrosion to the front right part...it wouldn't take much, driving on the free way for something hard to fly up in there and damage those lines or the transmission cooler.

The Viper

Adventurer
Heh guys, is that skid plate in the front standard on all gen 3 monteros, I just saw another gen 3 (2003) that was missing that skid plate and had no apparent damage in the front

also, where can you buy one of those front skid plates other then pulling one from the junk yard

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yes, all of them have the skids. People don't put them back on after oil changes (hassle) so they go missing.

Rust = if you see any visible rust there is 100x more you don't see.

The time you'll spend dealing with rust is way more than a short flight and drive back (easy weekend trip).

The Viper

Adventurer
Thank you guys for your persistence on persuading me to buy a rust free vehicle, I did find one way down south...flying out this friday to purchase...20th anniversary edition...it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line

Attachments

• 1440882471975.jpg
    1440882471975.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1440882489760.jpg
    1440882489760.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz