Coleman Taos build

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not please let me know or move it to the right one.
I had been thinking about building an adventure trailer or a small pop-up to modify for off-road for sometime, to ease my wife's fears of sleeping on a ground tent on the remote places we camp (she's scared of snakes and bears haha). if it was a pop-up; I wanted something like a Fleetwood neon, but after a few months of search, I could not find one nearby, I found instead a 2000 Coleman Taos, and because of it's great price, shape and small size, I decided to pull the trigger.
As soon as I got it home, I started planning what to do with it and started collecting my left over metal from past projects to see what was useful and what wasn't etc.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
First thing I didn't like was the flimsy axle and suspension system, so I decided to try a pair of Jeep XJ springs I had to replace the small and stiff oem springs.

I chose to go with a new 3,500 square tube axle.

And I went soa.

Shock mounts

Painted it.

Then the new hubs, 5-4.5" BP.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Nice work so far. Good choice of hub. Interested to see how the XJ springs work
Thanks! I had a hard time deciding to install hubs with brakes or not. This camper will weight about 1200 lbs. when I'm done with it, about 1400 lbs. loaded with stuff. I guess I'll have to try it and add them later on if I see I need them.
I tested it with the springs and it worked wonderfully, but now I've installed coilover shocks and have yet to test it, I'll post later on and let you know how it does with them.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks! I had a hard time deciding to install hubs with brakes or not. This camper will weight about 1200 lbs. when I'm done with it, about 1400 lbs. loaded with stuff. I guess I'll have to try it and add them later on if I see I need them.

We pull a similarly sized Rockwood pop up with our 2005 LJ. Just recently completed a 1200 mile trip with many winding, steep mountain roads. Our trailer has no brakes and I never felt the need for them. I think you just have to be cognizant of the weight back there and adjust driving styles accordingly.

Nice project. I am envious of the extra work you are doing. If I had to start over with a pop up I would have stuck with a coleman. The rockwood quality of build and durability pales in comparison to the 2 coleman's I have had in the past.

fjtoyman

Very cool, this kind of project is on my mind as well. Did you feel the need to reinforce the frame at all? In addition to more clearance, I plan to build an extension to carry my dual-sport bike. I'll keep watching. Good luck.

Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Thank you all.
I fabricated a 3" C-channel sub-frame, installed spring hangers and way back shackle hangers, welded it to the stock frame with reinforcement DOM tubing cross members and gusset plates.

Got the leaf springs rebuilt. I took them completely apart, cleaned and painted them and installed new polyurethane bushings.

fjtoyman

Do you plan to use those same tires, or will you size up for < whatever reason >? That might be more clearance, more weight capacity, looks... That's my thought, at least the first two :) I suppose the clearance to the body would become an issue. Sorry for all the questions, you will solve all my problems before I get to them !

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Do you plan to use those same tires, or will you size up for < whatever reason >? That might be more clearance, more weight capacity, looks... That's my thought, at least the first two :) I suppose the clearance to the body would become an issue. Sorry for all the questions, you will solve all my problems before I get to them !

Yes, I've already done it. I bought 15's. They're like 29" high only but that's what I could fit after trimming the wheel wells all I could.

Here's a picture for comparison.

Here with the springs and tires installed, but still with out the coil over shocks.

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Multi axis hitch

I decided to build a multi-axis hitch myself. First, because of the high price of the ones out there in the market and second, because I already had most of the parts I needed, leftovers from my other jeep's past projects.

Modified a pair of under frame spring hangers.

Fitted the 1.25" chromoly Ballistic joints to the 2"-1/4" square tubing.

Spring hangers and tube adapters welded.

Assembled.

fjtoyman

Haha, now you're solving problems I didn't even know I had! Thanks for your creative process and sharing it with us. Now I must build.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Next, the tongue....
In order to be able to swap couplers, highway vs. off-road; I had to remove the existing A frame coupler and install a receiver instead.

This is what it had.

This is what I installed.

With the regular highway ball coupler,

With the off-road one.

Now wait and see how they both work, I can easily make them longer or shorter as needed, just by changing the 2" square tubing.

97kurt

Adventurer
Thats the simplest multi axis I have seen yet, I like.

But... are you going to keep one of the jam nuts loose for the twisting action of the trailer? Or will the bushings take care of that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94