1995 Suzuki Sidekick Tinker Toy

Ponda

^ Thanks! I was a little shocked, too. The front had a strut spacer and spring spacer. The camber bolts may have worked for me if I ran them on the bottom strut hole and kicked the tire outward to true it up. There just wasn't any room for the spindle to move inward because it hit the strut. Who knows...glad it's over with and I can move on to other projects.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Yeah, it's hard to dial in the camber on these. I should probably slot my sturts, but my camber bolts are doing an ok job.

Looks great, by the way! What brand of tires are those? Accelera MT-01? What'd they run you, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, are those just the stock wheels? They look great!

Ponda

I may end up buying a set of camber bolts eventually...I've got just a smidge of negative camber I'd like to get rid of now lol.

Correct, those are Accelera MT-01's. Total cost, including mount/balance, was $392.

Yes, stock Samurai wheels. Need some TLC but thanks! :)

Singlespeed92

Observer
Loving the build,my friend! That gen 'Kick is on my short list of "wish I had one" and "next time I'm buying a ride". If you don't mind my asking,where'd you buy the bike rack,and how much of the $150 was it? Since selling my old Jeep and it's hitch rack along with it,been hauling our (my son's and mine) bikes in the back of the FJ,which has a hitch. Where you ride at? We're only a few miles from Steele Creek park here in town,so we're there most of the time,but hit Warrior's Path too (it's been a while though). Nice to meet you neighbor,and looking forward to watching your build :)

Ponda

Thanks, buddy! Here is the link to the rack I bought: eBay Rack

It's still holding up nice but I'll eventually have it powder coated...once you scratch the factory coating, rust sets in quick.

I haven't rode Steele Creek but I've been meaning to get up there. I do ride Warrior's quite often but I'm a little spoiled being a few minutes from the ETSU trails. That's where I ride most of the time. If I'm lucky, I get to escape to Pisgah or Beech Mountain every once and a while with a buddy of mine. Dupont and Kerr Scott are still on my list to hit (I have heard that's some of the best riding on this side of the country).

If you Strava, give me a follow! Maybe we can get together sometime. STRAVA PROFILE

Singlespeed92

Observer
Cool,thanks for the link,my friend,I "saved to watchlist",we'll see what next month's budget looks like :D Here's my old rack,I sold it several months back when it was looking like I might not be riding so much for a long time (not looking like that now,thankfully)...

I (literally) just signed up to Strava late last night,as I had a Lezyne Mini GPS show up for tinkering with while riding last eve (LOVE Brown Santa,LOL),so I haven't been on it enough to know what's what on there yet,but I'll find you on there :) I haven't ridden much this year (like...>100 miles for the year),had lots going on and some issues with some old spinal injuries,but have been working hard all year on that (spinal injuries),to strengthen things up,at least enough to get back to work (been "legally disabled" since 1-09 and on that fixed income since 4-11,injuries are from 2001),but looking to do some short easy rides (no singletrack,sadly...but soon) around town o rhead down to the VA Creeper or similar with my son. Last year,I rode almost 1,800 miles,most of it dirt for contrast,LOL!

I haven't ridden any of the trails around ETSU,haven't been to Bays Mtn yet either,and we've lived here since '11,I need to,LOL! I haven't made it out to Warrior's Path since March either...hoping to be back to normal as for riding soon,and ride lots (including some dirt-touring/bikepacking) all of '16. My son's moved up to 26"ers this year,but since I haven't been riding with him,no trail pics of him on it,but here's a couple pics of us,one at Darwin's Revenge at Warrior's Path last Fall,the other at Steele Creek (my son looking back up/contimplating the hill he nearly wiped out on going down,LOL)...

Yeah,when I get back able to get to riding,we orta (get together sometime)! I sold off several of my bikes (to finance some Axial rc rock crawlers...which I've since also been selling off,LOL),but I still have an Origin 8 CX'er and Surly Troll :)

Ponda

Wow. Back injuries are tough. Good to hear you'll be back to riding soon, though! I only discovered the joy of riding just over a year ago when I moved to JC. I've been flat out addicted ever since...wish I would have found it sooner. Very cool that you're introducing it to your son at an early age. I took my wife to Darwin's last fall and she was crying 5 minutes in at how rough it was. Kudos to your son! LOL

Hang in there! Maybe we can get out soon!

Singlespeed92

Observer
Yeah,they can be (tough). It's primarily a twice broken neck (C2 and C4),but there was also damage in th eback from the C-spine all the way down...seems a lifetime ago,despite flare-ups in recent years,LOL! I've been mtn biking a day or two longer...I was racing motocross as a teen in the 80's,and the month that Mtn Bike Action came out,I thought "That'd be good cross training,and looks fun!",LOL,but there have been a few years strung out between then and now I didn't ride much. You're very correct,it IS addicting :D

LOL (on your daughter),yeah,Nick complained a bit during some parts of it (mosly at having to push through the small drops adn anytime we had to climb ANYthing :p ). I hate that because we turned in our rented shed when we bought a new camper last year (used it 1 time over the July 4th holiday,it was parked until sold this Spring,LOL),because we've had to park our bikes (all but the 2 dept store bikes of his,the Schwinn chopper bike and his BMX) at my dad's 16 miles away in VA--including his 26"er,but we've had them here this past week parked in the dining room (much to my wife's dismay,despite that it's never "dined in"),LOL!

Did a few short rides this week,around the dirt path at Steele Creek a couple times and a 16 mile road ride on 394. Made my butt hurt since I haven't sat on a bike seat for so long,LOL,but I got 36 easy-effort miles in to get me back to rolling. I'd intended to take my daughter to Steele Creek for a path ride today (she's not as into riding as my son and I,has no interest in trails at all ;) ),and the wife drove the car so I'd have the FJ to haul the bikes in,but it looks like it's going to be cool,breezy and raining today so she doesn't want to go. Maybe tomorrow or next week,LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne