2011 Outback - Off road/ camping build

cstaikos

Observer
This is going to be a log of all the things I slowly do to my 2011 subaru outback. I am only 17 so this is technically a car that I share with my parents, but luckily I can do some modifications. This build will be updated as much as possible, but will probably move pretty slowly given that I have school to worry about and only a part-time job to fund it.

All I am looking to do with this is make it more capable on the trails and more comfortable for some overlanding or camping with friends. Grant Wilson's build is a big inspiration for this so there might be some things that are based off mods that he has done.

If you want to see all the modifications that I have done and their prices check out Offroad Subaru

Last edited:

cstaikos

Observer
I know! figured there werent really any gen 4 threads out there doing anything too crazy. I need to convince the parents to let me replace the tires next. That will probably be a huge setback for a while

cstaikos

Observer
aadcccd53a3c4009be1c9ab8f3c9b1b9.jpg

Actually using the load warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstaikos

Observer
Got an email that my skid plats arrived! I will be installing them this afternoon and documenting that process

real3175

Observer
Very cool, do you plan on sleeping in the Outback? Just curious because my wife is thinking about upgrading to an Outback from her Crosstrek and would be curious to see the length/setup.

cstaikos

Observer
Very cool, do you plan on sleeping in the Outback? Just curious because my wife is thinking about upgrading to an Outback from her Crosstrek and would be curious to see the length/setup.

It's doable for sure but personally I would just go with a tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I've spent many nights in my WRX wagon without any problems. Made a 2-piece curtain set so I could easily block the side and back windows. I was able to fit a regular twin-sized inflatable air mattress between the shock towers. The only "modification" made was to flip the headrests around backwards and lay a 8" x 48" board across them to extend the bed slightly. Two could be cozy, but doable. Biggest complaints were (1) headroom and (2) Egress in the morning. If I were going to be sleeping there more regularly, I'd have got/made a foam mattress instead of the inflatable, so that would have saved me several key inches of headroom. To fix the egress issue, I added a pull so I could open the rear hatch from inside the vehicle so I didn't have to try to sneak out through the side doors.

An outback is sufficiently larger that two cozy people should be fine, so long as you don't build up the floor height too much. Keep your gear in the footwells and front seats, or better yet locked in a roof basket/box, and you'll be fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed its possible but not exactly roomy. Far more roomy than sleeping in the back of a 2001 VW Jetta sedan with the seats down LOL. Ive done that on a quick solo trip. Our OB would be down right luxury in comparison but not exactly roomy. I'd opt for a tent also unless weather is expected to be crummy or its just me and the trip is a really quick one with no need to make a big deal about making camp etc.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Well, cramped is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not going to argue with anyone about their personal preferences, but sleeping in the back has been my focus from the beginning for a variety of reasons and I will say it has worked out extremely well for me so far. A 4" memory foam mattress was the ticket for me.

I can't seem to get pics from last weekend to upload to the forum today for some reason, but 6'2" of me fits nicely back there with the Edgestar frig, some drawers and the mutt in the passenger seat with her bed. As was mentioned, having the electric rear hatch and the remote button is nice, but I will say most of the time I do a little barrel roll out the side door. You aren't really going in and out of there over and over again anyway, in to go to sleep and back out in the morning (with maybe a rest stop along the way), so it's really not a big deal. And this is coming from a 48 year old with 3 back surgeries in the past.

Happy travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles