Salt Wash Road

hatchcanyon

Lancisti
May 2013!

Coming from the Goblin Valley area over Clay Hills Road we reached the point where this road intersects with Coal Mine Road on Factory Bench. (Utah, Emery and Wayne County). At this place (12S 0506411 4261697) a third road goes the the southwest skirting North Caineville Reef. This one is said to be a dead end but this might not be true. Rumors are that there is an old connection to Last Cahnce Wash between Cathedral Valley and I 70 to the north. We found some mostly short spurs leading into nowhere. Years ago driving into Salt Wash Canyon was possible up to some springs but we decided to turn around at this place.

The trip started in the early evening around 6 pm. Wonderful evening light for colorful rocks.

DSC00761_12.jpg

The road starts here, but the one seen on the right side is Clay Hills road

Salt Wash Road descends from Factory Bench into a shallow valley south of North Caineville Reef. Reaching the Reef it turns to southwest. At a first glance it is a lifeless place - but it isn't!

DSC00762_12.jpg

Along the Reef in southwestern direction

The land is dark grey to black with white patches. This must be minerals. Another thing to find is brown gravel. No gravel at all, these are Billions (?) of petrified mussels.

DSC00763_12.jpg

On the left the rim to Factory Bench. Again North Caineville Mesa

DSC00766_12.jpg

Impressing landscape

After a little more than a Mile the road switches trough a gap onto the opposite side of the Reef.

DSC00767_12.jpg

At this point the road turns right

It is not only a switch of the side it is of switching colors too. The other side is red.

DSC00768_12.jpg

Red

Now we are there where Salt Wash is flowing in a northern direction to discharge into Muddy Creek.

DSC00770_12.jpg

Salt Wash Road. North Caineville Reef is now on the left side.

DSC00771_12.jpg

Salt Wash Valley in northern direction

DSC00772_12.jpg

The road crosses flowing Salt Wash for the first time

DSC00774_12.jpg

Another cliff line to the west

The incline of these layers is caused by the rise of the San Rafael Swell. Bedding goes up to the west at an angle of approximately 25 degrees.

DSC00775_12.jpg

From Entrada (bottom) to Mancos Shale

DSC00776_12.jpg

Evening light

A second ford through Salt Wash where it comes out of a slightly deeper canyon. There we drove in 20(?) years ago.

DSC00778_12.jpg

Wood Bench in the south

DSC00779_12.jpg

Deep red coused by evening light

DSC00781_12.jpg

Gray North Caineville Mesa

The road climbs up onto a hill.

DSC00782_12.jpg

Looking back to Salt Wash

DSC00784_12.jpg

Remains from Salt Wash

DSC00786_12.jpg

This seems to be the reason for building the road.

DSC00787_12.jpg

Factory Butte

Not far away from the drill hole the trail ends above a tributary of Salt Wash, dry at the time. We noticed some ATV tracks going down into the drainage.

DSC00789_12.jpg

Road end

DSC00795_12.jpg

Wood Bench Rim

The rim of Wood Bench looks similar to Cathedral Valley. No surprise, it has more or less the same geological structure.

Time to turn around! We are heading back to Coal Mine Road.

DSC00797_12.jpg

Near Salt Wash

Once again going through North Caineville Reef and its color diversity.

DSC00798_12.jpg

Red North Caineville Reef

DSC00799_12.jpg

Gray part of it

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
I love the photos and the comment "At a first glance it is a lifeless place - but it isn't!"

Also the comment about the drill hole being the reason for the trail. I find it ironic/interesting that many of the great offroad trails we enjoy were built for mining / drilling some 75-100 or more years ago. I was thinking about this on that San Juans trip I just completed - the post of mine that you just commented on. I imagine that if some company proposed similar trails today, the proposal wouldn't survive the environmental impact statement. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm glad that they just blasted them in back in the day so we can get out and get away and explore these remote areas today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles