HAM Antenna placement?

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Heya all,

Maybe it should be in the other subforum related to this. Since I recently managed to get my Technician license, I am looking to install a ham radio in my Gen 3 (current deciding between a Kenwood TM-V71A and the ICOM IC-2730A), and I was trying to get some inspiration on antenna placement.

I am somewhat leaning towards a fixed antenna, but where to mount it is a bit of a question. So for those of us that do have a ham license, what type of antenna do you use and where have you placed it?

Thanks!

SirFrancisDrake

2002 Montero Ltd
From my understanding the best signal would be roof mounted, but that's not practical for everyone. I was considering one off the rear bumper somehow. I found this pic randomly on google for inspiration
edit link: http://n6pet.com/going-mobile-220-mhz/
Mobile_antennas.jpg

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I considered this for a while before deciding. Of course, the best place from a radio standpoint would be the center of the roof. I ruled out a low placement (bumper, hood lip) for performance reasons. By the way, the rig pictured above is sporting a HF whip, which makes placement and performance even more challenging.

I decided upon roof placement and ruled out a magnetic mount. I'm not sure what the difference in performance would be...not a great deal...but I wanted to optimize it and wanted a cleaner look, too. The center of the roof is out...it blocks the use of a roof rack and that space is occupied by the sunroof. Forward of the sunroof is occupied by the sunroof motor, plus it would block longer loads like a canoe.

I finally settled on an NMO mount above the driver's head, off the centerline.
20932238036_e24869e94f_b.jpg
20339081434_6aa23e090e_b.jpg

I mounted a Larsen NMO 2/70 dual-band antenna. I'm very happy with this arrangement. Though it does increase the overhead clearance needed, I'd do it this way again.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Thanks. The first pic by SirFrancisDrake does look like it's a HF one. I have googled around a little before, and I saw some pretty extreme setups, definitely beyond my newbie knowledge.

My main concern with antenna placement on the roof is clearance, but perhaps a detachable or magnetic base is the way to go. Or perhaps on a spring.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...My main concern with antenna placement on the roof is clearance, but perhaps a detachable or magnetic base is the way to go. Or perhaps on a spring.

The magnetic mount, though never meant to be for permanent installations, is often used for this purpose. However, it's ideal if you want a roof mounting but the truck lives in a garage. Don't rule out the mag mount!

Mine is very springy but it does get bent on tree branches. I tested it out once at a parking garage at the hospital where I work and it was unpleasant listening to it banging along under the low concrete beams.

I carry a spare whip, the appropriate Allen key for quick removal of said whip, and a screw-on NMO blanking plate...just in case.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
True, that may be an option but not sure how happy people will be if you randomly jump out when in a line of cars to get your antenna off ;)

Are there any mounts that allow you to put your antenna horizontal for when you don't use it?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...Are there any mounts that allow you to put your antenna horizontal for when you don't use it?

Sure. Most of them are for lip-mount or deck-mount applications, but that just means that you have to use a bit of ingenuity. The following pic, while not of a Montero, shows how one guy used such a folding mount. Note that he fabbed a little metal plate to attach it. Unlike the standard NMO roof mounts, most of these things are lip-mount (as is the one below) or else they mount by screwing them down onto a sturdy surface.

explor12.jpg

EDIT: Hey! Look what Google just showed me:

K515SNMO.jpg

Last edited:

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Thanks! I'll look a bit more into those, they may be interesting. Although the rack mounting may come with a grounding issue, but that isn't too hard to overcome (I hope)

Doorplease

Explorer
Not a ham user (yet) but with cb I use a magnetic mount and am very happy with it. In parking garages I just stop and lay it down to avoid the clanging/smacking and when I leave just pick it up and it's a strong mount.

Bottomfeeder

Observer
I have installed mine yet. I have a mag mount for my CB and decided that would be the way to go for for my HAM as well since I've done enough offroading to rip off my radio antenna. I had a fire stick mounted on my spare tire carrier. It flexed back very far, on one trip, I thought it was going to shatter my rear window when it whipped back.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Sure. Most of them are for lip-mount or deck-mount applications, but that just means that you have to use a bit of ingenuity. The following pic, while not of a Montero, shows how one guy used such a folding mount. Note that he fabbed a little metal plate to attach it. Unlike the standard NMO roof mounts, most of these things are lip-mount (as is the one below) or else they mount by screwing them down onto a sturdy surface.

explor12.jpg

EDIT: Hey! Look what Google just showed me:

K515SNMO.jpg

There is also a motorized version so you can raise and lower it as needed from the comfort of the drivers seat. I LOVE mine!
http://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000lrm.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior