Tuner for V6 Tacoma

Bugslinger

Adventurer
Anybody have any experience using programmers/tuners on a V6 Tacoma? Are they worthwhile? I would be looking for better mpg on the highway and a little more power towing. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

bkg

Explorer
I think the only "tuner" currently available is BullyDog. Saw a "documentary" of sorts on how much effort it was to "hack" the Toyota ECU encryption. The rest that I've seen - chips, mostly - that have been around for a while - I've never heard of them working.

Taco2FJ

Observer
URD UCON-EMS

It also comes with exhaust timing gears that hold for 3 more degrees and a 10 degree cooler thermostat.

It absolutely made the very heavy FJ I have much more "spirited" to drive. I think the biggest advantages was the transmission behavior was vastly superior, with the engine just being more efficient with what it had to use. No dyno is going to help you determine midrange highway cruise power, but I can honestly tell you I saw exactly 1 mpg improvement. That is 80,000 miles average without, and 40,000 average with.

Plus I can attach my computer and see every little detail about my truck while I drive. The UCON is how I found out my Mass Air Flow sensor was reading improperly, but not enough to through a code yet. Its really amazing when you learn the incredible detail of a vehicle, and not just go off of "yea it feels better".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior