Winch Cable repair - Michigan review

uberhahn

Observer
Recently, I posted a need to repair my winch cable (steel). The original Warn cable was simply a swaged loop-back with no thimble. Frayed to the point where i wanted a proper repair.

I didn't want to use cable clips (saddle) as they get hung up on the bumper, and are not "neat" as my OCD would take over.

Similarly, the rest of the cable was in excellent condition.

I was directed to AAA Wire Rope & Splicing. I phoned them, stopped in, and they performed a very professional job.
AAA is a true rigging shop. They make cables for cranes, tow trucks, bridges, etc. My 5/16" line looked like a toy compared to some of the heavy cables lying around.

In any case, I now have a proper Flemish Eye, heavy duty thimble, nicely swaged in a hydraulic press with the correct die-set.
They also have a wall of Crosby shackles and hooks that would make your head spin.

I called them, walked in with my cable, and 10 min later was out the door $10 lighter.

Those guys are great, and they know what they're doing. If you're in SE Michigan, or want to order special cables (chokers, logging, etc), give these guys a go.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer

http://www.aaawirerope.com/

uberhahn

Observer
Here it is. It'll take me a few days to get home and take a pic of the section with the loop-back, but you get the idea. From a cost perspective, I'm sure its cheaper to do the loop-back.

Pic as requested. The white material on the swage is the grease used to lube up the die-set.

Remember, the flemish eye is is a re-braid mechanically locking the individual strands. They are not side-by-side as on a loop-back.

Flemsh Eye.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior