Still on the hunt - looking to buy

Ultralite

Adventurer
Several months ago I posted on this forum and got great advice, again it is much appreciated: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/138165-Is-it-really-that-bad

About that time I put my Sportsmobile up for sale. I knew it would be a long process and I can be a patient person when it comes to money. Well it sold last week. In the intervening months I continued to lurk on this forum and go camping with my son (every month this year so far) in our '69 VW and the '99 SMB. Point is I continued to think about my rig desires while I dialed in the Westy which I knew I would be keeping.

I've got the Westy as in good a shape as I can get it camping wise. (We won "Best Camper" at a big show this spring after restoring the interior over the winter). But, I can't use it for "semi daily service" because I have it insured through Hagertys where I have a limit in mileage per year.

The SMB taught me that I don't need or want that big of a rig. I live in an urban environment. I have a parking garage at work and have to park in many during the week. And as indicated by my handle, the type of backpacking I do, I don't pack a lot in my vehicles even when I'm adventuring and backcountry camping.

So I'm trying to hit that sweet spot of daily driver capability and camp ability. A "station wagon" with height is what I believe I'm looking for. While at camp I spend most of my time outside of course. But being in the east and in the mountains for camping I'd prefer to sleep inside in a bed in the back as I've been caught in a lot of unexpected bad storms.

Also, most of my camping is just me and my son so I only need to sleep 2. And, apart from my SMB which didn't work out, I tend to be a "buy and hold" kind of person when it comes to camping. So one day years down the road, it'll just be me sleeping in it. And sometimes I go out solo now.

Ideally I think a Defender is what would suit me but man those prices. I see that a Discovery has a jump seat in the back as an option, in a minimalist set up, I wonder if I could sit in there and wait out a storm in a pinch? And maybe cook something back there if I build a small shelf set up?

I have a budget of about $20k to work with now. I could build that up over time as I wait for the right rig.

So do I have this deduction right? Defenders are out for that budget. Range Rovers could provide a sleeping platform but seating in the front seats only. And a Discovery may provide some cargo height but be limited on sleeping length, correct?

Ray_G

Explorer
There is a fair amount out there depending on where you want to go. Defenders can be expensive, but take a look around Defender source (http://www.defendersource.com/) there are some decent deals to be had if you are looking for a basic Defender that meets many of the capabilities you're describing, albeit with some compromises on comfort. Then again if you camp ultralite perhaps relative comfort isn't your thing. :)
This truck, for example, is within your budget: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64596&referrerid=3503

In terms of the rest of the platforms you are talking about, much depends on how tall you are. You can sleep in a D1, but it can be cramped unless you are like me (5'5"), DII is a little longer so that's a little more feasible. RRC has less height but with the LWB there is some potential if you build out the back into a platform.

Personal opinion: go find a nice used LR3, fold all the seats down, and think about the comfort of driving to/from hikes in that. World's apart from the Defender in terms of on road performance, more than capable offroad, great all weather, low driver fatigue by comparison, miles of space inside. For your application throw a micro-start in there just in case the battery died down somewhere remote somehow and if its maintained, I think you've got a great compromise platform that works exceptionally well in the day to day.

But I'm biased!
r-
Ray

zelatore

Explorer
If I were on a $20K budget, looking for a combo driver/camping rig in the Rover family that could sleep 1 or 2, I'd say find the best LR3 you can lay your hands on and use the left-over funds to base line it and do some simple upgrades like tires, sliders, roof rack, and fridge. They are among the most reliable platforms from Land Rover and with the fully flat rear cargo area have plenty of room to sleep. You could build up a platform to accommodate the fridge or do like I've done and copy the ExPo LR4 and mount it where the stock middle 2nd row seat normally goes (very easy to do) then build a platform around it either from scratch or use the AT stuff like they did.

$15K will buy a very nice LR3 in any part of the country. They can be had for much less, but if you have the budget take some time and find a really good one with good records. You could get into an LR4 (or even a Range Rover) at the $20K range as well, but honestly it's not a better off-road rig so much as a better on-road rig with more power and a nicer interior, but the bigger brakes make it tougher to fit decent wheels/tires and the younger age means a higher entry point so I'd still stay with the LR3.

rlynch356

Defyota
if your looking for a Defender in the 20k range, head over to defendersource.com for some options.
Plenty of trucks in that range of varying configurations.
$20k is going to be a Rest Of the World (ROW) import, most likely in right hand drive, and a 19j turbo diesel (or NA Diesel depending on year) or a 3.5 v8 petrol motors.

sydneyman

Observer
Im a little biased but what these guys are saying about the lr3 make a lot of sense. They are hitting a sweet spot in value and modernity at the moment.

That being said I obviously chose the Range Rover route. My classic is just... classic. To me its got all of the attributes of a modern car which are disc brakes, good power, and heating and air but way more civilized on and off road compared to a defender. Its also just about as recognizable in the wild as a defender or series which was important for me. (something my p38s never could do...)

and the LWB has 8 more inches of length compared to the D1 and SWB RR. Its all in the rear footwell though so just build a low platform in the rear that matches the height of the half folded seats in the rear. (as opposed to fully folding the seats which means they would be upright against the front seats) and fill the footwell with boxes/blankets. This allows you to easily transport 5 people where you want to go. Plus you can still store things underneath your "platform".

Ultralite

Adventurer
Oh wow, just saw another LR3 thread on towing. I could tow the travel trailer with that, that's fantastic news.

As much as I would love for my family to ask me to find a Defender with Dormobile roof, it's probably not going to happen. Oh well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz