2008 FJ

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If you want a true low mileage unit that is garage kept and only driven in the rain twice, I have a 2012 with 5K miles on it. 45k and its yours.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Well, allow me squeeze in here for a second.

I've owned a 07 FJ since DEC06. It's done so many big named trails from the Rubicon to Tellico (when that used to be open) and everything in-between. Its been my daily driver, and wheeled very hard. It was originally built for tough rock crawling but also to drive across country to get to these trails, but now that I find overloading my new passion, I've rebuilt it for that.

No rust, no frame failures, no inner fender apron tears, no axle problems (and I'm not even running the 29 spline pinion in the rear, but the older 27).

But with all that said, every company makes some bad eggs, every company. And I would still tell you to shoot for a 10+ due to the use of the prado 150 frame over the 120 in 2007-2009, and the 8.2 rear axle vs the older 8" (its not a big improvement, but and improvement none the less).

^^^The post most worth reading here so far^^^ :beer:

To answer the OP - I have an '08 (purchased with 12k miles in 09/10) that is still stock basically, probably 90% pavement-driven as it is my commuter and only vehicle. No Rubicon/Black Bear Pass to overcome in flat South Texas, but it has taken me down Padre Island National Seashore multiple times. That can be a pretty rough slog, but no Baja run. As such I have no inner fender damage, no frame oddities, and I laugh every time the driveshaft slip joint gives me a bump when I come to a quick halt. If I had family/kids I would have bought something with four full doors and more cargo space, but the FJC still suits me fine at 126k miles and rolling. It's only taken regular oil changes and a new set of tires and brake pads to keep it on the road. And because I still run a stock, lightweight truck on ~42-43lb/ea stock-size tires I still get 17-19mpg in my combined daily driving.

As for the quality of the aftermarket parts in question, a couple of pictures would go a long way to help identify their origin. :safari-rig:

Thoreau

The axle and frame changes are definitely worth consideration in the newer years. Supposedly part of the 150 change was related to the motor mount horn issue, although that issue tends to be 2006 to 2007 production.

Same with the exploding rear diff issue... usually the early production ones.

That said, about the only real issues (if you can call them that) with the 2010+ models are...

Oil filter.... very lamesauce compared to pre 2010.
Washer fluid reservoir location could be an issue with an aftermarket bumper, requiring relocation.
Prices are higher.

Given my issues with my 07 (early 07 build date) it'd be a tough choice, but id probably feel more confident in an 08 or 09 overall. Wouldnt get an 07 again, thats for sure.

Grouper

Observer
Well, allow me squeeze in here for a second.

I've owned a 07 FJ since DEC06. It's done so many big named trails from the Rubicon to Tellico (when that used to be open) and everything in-between. Its been my daily driver, and wheeled very hard. It was originally built for tough rock crawling but also to drive across country to get to these trails, but now that I find overloading my new passion, I've rebuilt it for that.

No rust, no frame failures, no inner fender apron tears, no axle problems (and I'm not even running the 29 spline pinion in the rear, but the older 27).

But with all that said, every company makes some bad eggs, every company. And I would still tell you to shoot for a 10+ due to the use of the prado 150 frame over the 120 in 2007-2009, and the 8.2 rear axle vs the older 8" (its not a big improvement, but and improvement none the less).

This.

I have an 07 with 120k on the clock. I have wheeled it regularly for the last four years as well as driven half way across the country and back. No jumping but lots of moderate rock crawling. I have replaced many items due to trail damage but no fender bulges or frame issues to speak of(to be honest this is the first I have heard of the frame issues). I would also recommend a 10+ however. I think the 8.2" rear is worth it. I replaced my 8" with an 8.2" awhile back just because I was seeing the 8" break pretty regularly on other early model FJCs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94