Extending the range ..... bonnet spare on a Disco?

Has anyone put a large fuel tank in a D2?

the 4.6 only gets 300 miles to the tank and I'm not fond of putting fuel on the roof

odd question: has anyone put a spare wheel on the bonnet of the D2?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The one thing I found is to really review where I was going, and whether I would ever be out of range of fuel stations at 300 miles. My FJ80 used to get about 240 miles per tank, and even in remote Baja, where I carried 2 NATO cans of fuel, I never really needed 'em.

In the most recent Mexico trip, the FJ45 was only once under 1/4 tank between stations, and we could have found fuel, albeit expensive, at a ranch or two we passed.

I guess what I'm saying is that extended tanks are usually pretty expensive, given the number of times they're really needed. If you're also looking at relocating the spare to the hood, add in the costs of bracing the hood and re-engineering the hood supports, and it's tough, at least for me, to really justify the expense, when a good NATO gascan will do the job for $40...add a high quality Expedition Exchange holder for another $100 or so (2 can carrier) and for under $200 you can have 10 extra gallons...

HTH

-H-

good review Hltoppr

the bonnet spare is a must for as the roof rack wont be an option and I'm just not that comfortable with one spare and I don't want to put 2 spares on the back as I've seen in the UK/Africa

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
If you aren't racing (time considerations) and have tires durable enough for the terrain you're traversing, I question the absolute need for multiple spares. An excellent tire repair kit, a compressor, and a lttle experience weigh a lot less and will get you much farther. If you can destroy two tires in the course of the trip (the original and the spare), you can certainly destroy three.

There's always the front bumper...

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Z O O R O P A said:

the 4.6 only gets 300 miles to the tank and I'm not fond of putting fuel on the roof?

Places like Front Runner 4x4 in South Africa and Long Ranger in Australia make aux fuel tanks (which are sold by ARB, but not in the U.S.). I had also seen a tank on eBay for $400.

Z O O R O P A said:

I can understand the want for two spares but I have yet to use the one I have so I have never seen the need.

That being said, Murphy's Law dictates that I will probably run out of gas on my next trip and blow holes in all four of my road touching tires while pulling over. Only to discover that all of the fuel in my NATO cans had been siphoned out of them the night before while I was sawing logs in my tent.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Z O O R O P A said:

I haven't but I toyed with the idea of a long ranger tank which can be found on the bay for $400... keeps the weight low.

the 4.6 only gets 300 miles to the tank and I'm not fond of putting fuel on the roof

I can understand not wanting to put fuel on the roof but it can be done and i don't feel much of a negative effect from this.

I have never put the spare on the roof or seen it done but i think a kay-mar dual carrier would work if you feel you need 2.

Did you pick up a Rover?

:box:

afirover

install on of these in to your rack and plumb it in to your fuel tank only so it can not be swipped and all you need to do is open a valve on it will flow it to your tank when needed.. If doen right it could be mounted on the roof with the lowest COG POSSIBLE and you will loose no "load " space because you can pac "junk over the top of the tank ...... just remember to disable the rear sun roof

the "hood/bonnet "on a d2 is not strong enough for a spare get a safty seal kit and a comp and go on
just my $.03

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21986_21986

yeah the bonnet would certainly need reinforcement

we found a really nice 04 HSE7 with 48K right down the street. This will be my 3rd Disco. We are going to wait until July I think to buy it. We really want it and only one other person to date has checked it out. The price is a little high in my opinion

In the mean time I am looking at a 1985 130 in the UK and keeping an eye out for a nice 1983/-85 110 with a 300tdi. I have made plans with friends in the UK to store a rig if I find a nice one

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'm no expert, but I have seen a few rigs around with one mounted spare and one unmounted spare.

Given that you feel you need a second spare, are you sure you need it to be mounted? The chances of ruining two rims is slim, and a rim weighs a lot.

Just a thought...

dlbrunner

Adventurer
Two spares is a really good idea. I have needed both on several trips. most flats I have had in the field would not have been repairable with a "plug" patching kit.

On overnighters, I don't carry the second spare, but on multiday trips, second spare for sure. I usually throw it in the back of the 4runner.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have needed a spare on several trips. I would caution on carrying spares on the roof rack unless absolutely necessary. Roof racks should be used for lightweight items. Keep the weight low. As for hood mounted spare? I have my spare on the Defender mounted on the hood and it's something you just get used to. Obviously if you can avoid it you should. If you must I would use the skinniest tire possible. I have a 235/85/16 and would not go any fatter than that.

Kelly how about some pics of your rig?!

I've got my eye on a nice 130 in the UK right now that is an '85. I am considering it carefully as I have amigos in the UK where I can store until export

I have no issues with a spare on the bonnet. I think it is bad *** looking. The Disco bonnet is a beautiful thing but not sturdy at all so it will be reinforced. I'm saving the roof for a magg. tent

I suppose some experience is going to be required as far as long range goes. I hate stopping for fuel myself but I have no knowledge of how much is required for a week trip off the pavement.

perhaps this is where I consider a trailer. I know loads of people have put fuel on the roof but I don't like the smell after the first whiff and I don't like the idea of being around a large portion of fuel where I am camping but it has been done across the Sahara for years so I'm sure it is safe as long as you are considerate of it.......

besides you never know when you might need more fuel for things unplanned

:archaeolo

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I had a custom tank built for the Defender to get the fuel capacity and mileage range up. It led into some other issues as I had to re-route the exhaust and pushed the rear axle further back to create more space. The tank ended up being pretty expensive due to the design time and to pay for a certified welder. In the end it has been well worth it, but what a headache during the build!

I do not have a spare mounted on my hood, but know that the hoods for the Defeneders are pretty well braced for such an application. In addition Kelly has already pointed out that you need to keep it narrow to minimize the visual affect. Also, accessing the engine compartment will require you to eat a bowl of wheeties prior! :REExeSquatsHL1:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Z O O R O P A said:
Kelly how about some pics of your rig?!

I've got my eye on a nice 130 in the UK right now that is an '85. I am considering it carefully as I have amigos in the UK where I can store until export

:archaeolo

Here are a few random shots taken in the last few years. I absolutely love my 130. I actually look forward to driving it, even if it's just picking my kids up at school. I don't know what configuration you are leaning towards but I can tell you I have really benefited from having a shell on mine. I use it to sleep in if out by myself and have cooked in it on snowy trips when it was just too darn cold to cook outside. The shell also allows a full length roof rack which can add to the versatility, but you should never have to load the rack up with all the cargo room in the truck bed. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
NICE!

I'm exploring options right now as far as Defenders go but I am very interested in both possibilities. I have my eye on this 1985 127

http://www.mrmlandrover.co.uk/MRMsales.asp?type=4x4

and I'm talking with a few of the gentlemen over at D-90 Source to learn from their experiences.

GJackson has also offered a great deal of wisdom and left the door open

I like willies cabs for the 130s and I think the only way to go is a full hannibal or the like rack. I'd throw 2 magg. roof top tents up there as they are so aero and seem more durable from reading lonewolfs exploits. You have all the room for food, medicine, etc etc and I'd feel fine storing fuel on the back of a 130! instead of over the heads of any occupants.

check the botton of this site

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...defender+130&start=36&ndsp=18&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

I'm holding out for something close to the right truck since the Defenders will only get nicer as the years go on for import

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles