2005 2nd to 1st gear shift?

suthyg

Long time reader, first post. I'm about to make an offer on a 2005 fg. Getting mech inspection done right now. My question is about downshifting into first gear, anything above jogging pace it grinds. Walking pace it still makes a noise and is difficult. Does the '05 have a 1st gear synchro? Should I be able to downshift into first at 5 or 10 km/h ?
Thanks for any input. Currently thinking about bigfoot/escape trailer versus custom cabin. N. America, europe, asia... in the plans. Have travelled much of S. America on the cheap.

suthyg

Wow. biggoolies and skifreak, thank you for your replies. Two techs drove it today, one thought the grinding into first was a dragging clutch the other thought a worn synchro, should have come here first. Thank you.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Double clutching under load can often get you into 1st without grinding (yes at walking pace ) but most times it is a full stop.

Dan.

westyss

Explorer
When I drive off road where there is a need for first gear I find it much better to use 4 low, that way gear selection is easy, obviously that does not allow you to throw it into 1st gear but second or third etc are in the range of 1st gear high.
I use 4 low even when the conditions really dont warrant it simply for ease of shifting and to ease the strain on the drive train, with a lighter truck it would be no problem but when fairly heavy and in rough terrain sharing the load with all wheels really feels much better.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Wow. biggoolies and skifreak, thank you for your replies. Two techs drove it today, one thought the grinding into first was a dragging clutch the other thought a worn synchro, should have come here first. Thank you.

Sounds like you have found a good way to test the competence of your local mechanics. It's not an unusual thing for a truck to not have a synchro on the first gear.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I often am looking for 1st gear low range so I am all ready at the bottom of the gear selection. And yes often running in low range on tracks and gravel roads.

Dan.

suthyg

Double clutching under load can often get you into 1st without grinding
Aussie Iron - I have never tried double clutching, but was curious about it, especially in that scenario when you are going up an increasingly steeper hill and have to go to first. It's always a pain when a truck in front of you has to stop to change gears, didn't want to be that guy....

When I drive off road where there is a need for first gear I find it much better to use 4 low, that way gear selection is easy, obviously that does not allow you to throw it into 1st gear but second or third etc are in the range of 1st gear high.
westyss - This makes a lot of sense for the ever-steeper hill scenario. Instead of stopping twice, ( 1st High then 4-Low ) - I hadn't considered the overlapping gear ratios.

Sounds like you have found a good way to test the competence of your local mechanics. It's not an unusual thing for a truck to not have a synchro on the first gear.
pugslyyy - I had rented a large moving truck once without a 1st gear synchro, but that was many years ago. My bad for assuming an '05 would have it. Unfortunately, I don't think the dealers here see many FGs - mainly 2wd delivery trucks. I didn't think to ask if the FE has a 1st gear synchro - but 3 out of the 4 techs I spoke to thought grinding into 1st was bad on the fg.

Thank you all again for setting me straight on the 2-1 downshift. You and this site are a valued resource, and a great place to while away the hours dreaming.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
pugslyyy - I had rented a large moving truck once without a 1st gear synchro, but that was many years ago. My bad for assuming an '05 would have it. Unfortunately, I don't think the dealers here see many FGs - mainly 2wd delivery trucks. I didn't think to ask if the FE has a 1st gear synchro - but 3 out of the 4 techs I spoke to thought grinding into 1st was bad on the fg.

As I understand it, a non-synchro gear is stronger because it is full width (not shaved to make room for the synchro).

It's a tradeoff between strength and convenience. The assumption is that you only need first for starting from a dead stop, so the synchro isn't needed.

I know in real life it isn't always the case, but I think that is the thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior