Anyone used Silla or Spectra radiators?

I ordered a Silla radiator for my 97 SR after the CSF I had just bought got a leak. I went to mount it and the passenger side mounting holes wouldn't line up, I noticed the bottom tank was hitting my trans hardlines, and the lower pass side of the radiator was hitting my frame rail. I contacted support and they confirmed it's the correct radiator for the vehicle, but it's not even close to fitting. Anyways, I noticed the OEM and CSF radiator edges are tapered, but the Silla and Spectra's are pretty angular, and that's the part that's making contact. Even if I redrilled the holes and dropped my trans lines, it still would be shifted enough to clear the frame rail. I'm trying to shop for a new radiator, but am afraid of purchasing one that has squared edges in case it fits the same, wondering if anyone here has good experience with any radiators. Pic shows edge difference.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I believe so, the parts where the black is worn off look copper. It's a Denso unit, marked 422130-8181.

So why don't you simply take it to a radiator repair shop and have it cleaned and soldered? I had mine repaired a few months back and is better than any aftermarket unit available, you couldn't pay me to ever install a plastic tanked radiator in any of my vehicles because they have a higher failure rate. Not to mention copper is superior for heat dissipation and can withstand a dent from a kicked up rock better than aluminum without cracking. Do some research and you will see for yourself. I may even have a spare OEM radiator in the garage I could have tested and ship out if needed.

So why don't you simply take it to a radiator repair shop and have it cleaned and soldered? I had mine repaired a few months back and is better than any aftermarket unit available, you couldn't pay me to ever install a plastic tanked radiator in any of my vehicles because they have a higher failure rate. Not to mention copper is superior for heat dissipation and can withstand a dent from a kicked up rock better than aluminum without cracking. Do some research and you will see for yourself. I may even have a spare OEM radiator in the garage I could have tested and ship out if needed.

My OEM is pretty badly rusted out and corroded, no amount of flushing could clear it. Unfortunately there aren't any radiator shops where I'm located unless I drive 4 hours or so, plus I sort of lost faith in the CSF. I was using pliers and slipped, they glanced the radiator and it started gushing coolant. If you do have a spare radiator in good shape, I'd definitely buy it off you. Please let me know, I've got a trip planned on the 18th and really want to get the montero back up before then. Thanks.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My OEM is pretty badly rusted out and corroded, no amount of flushing could clear it. Unfortunately there aren't any radiator shops where I'm located unless I drive 4 hours or so, plus I sort of lost faith in the CSF. I was using pliers and slipped, they glanced the radiator and it started gushing coolant. If you do have a spare radiator in good shape, I'd definitely buy it off you. Please let me know, I've got a trip planned on the 18th and really want to get the montero back up before then. Thanks.

So your hand slipped and busted your new radiator, how was that the fault of CSF? Or was there some other issue with it? If you are interested in the OEM copper radiator I have feel free to PM me.

So your hand slipped and busted your new radiator, how was that the fault of CSF? Or was there some other issue with it? If you are interested in the OEM copper radiator I have feel free to PM me.

I'm not blaming CSF, I took the $250 hit, it just seemed a bit weak. My OEM is covered in knocks and bent fins, I've bumped it with ratchets/wrenches and still doesn't leak a drop. I'd rather not repair a radiator that I'd be constantly dancing around accidentally touching while doing repairs.

PacS14

Adventurer
I bought the Spectra from auto zone and it does have the angled corners at the bottom, although in their description it says the core is copper the one I received is clearly aluminum. Price is way cheaper than what you paid for the Silla and if you order online shipping is free and they usually have at least %20 off on most items, I think they only offer %10 off on this radiator though.
20150904_181358.jpg

At this moment still sitting in my garage I might get time to install this weekend though, I will update you if I do.

TheMole

Adventurer
I bought the Spectra from auto zone and it does have the angled corners at the bottom, although in their description it says the core is copper the one I received is clearly aluminum. Price is way cheaper than what you paid for the Silla and if you order online shipping is free and they usually have at least %20 off on most items, I think they only offer %10 off on this radiator though.

At this moment still sitting in my garage I might get time to install this weekend though, I will update you if I do.

Did you ever get this installed? Just want to check if you had any reliability issues.

Just Prestone 50/50 from O'reilly's. I also have a big Volvo high output electric fan mounted to the radiator with mount tabs running through the rad fins, still no leaks or anything. Honestly the CSF seemed more fragile than the Spectra, I remember the fins bending very easily on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior