Another mysterious DII CPS topic

I've changed my CPS twice and I think I'm about to do it again. The first time, it stranded me and I was towed to an independent Rover shop. This was 7 or 8 months after I bought the DII and they screwed me I'm pretty sure. Since then I've learned a lot. They replaced the starter and the CPS. In retrospect I bet it was just the CPS. In January or February of this year it stranded me about a mile from my house. I had it towed to my driveway. After a couple of hours it started just fine. I replaced the CPS and it's been fine until last week. Now it has stalled a couple of times at stop lights, but restarted just fine. Thursday last week it wouldn't start after driving a couple of miles. I waited and it restarted. The day before yesterday it wouldn't start and frustrated, I poked at the CPS connector with a long screw driver, got in and it started right up. During this time period it has had a couple of strong hesitations while driving accompanied by a very quick on/off once flash of the Service Engine Soon light, but with no recorded codes. Yesterday morning it did that and it went into limp home mode with the transmission mode lights flashing. That cleared after stopping and restarting. I did have an 1174 code but that went away after I discovered the oil filler cap wasn't on. I'd added a quart of oil and left the cap sitting on the under-hood fuse box. Aside from the 1174 code, could this all be from a CPS going bad or is there something more sinister going on? The CPS that is currently installed is the Bosch OEM replacement part from Advance Auto Parts. Why would it start to die so soon? What kills the CPS on the Disco? This seems to be a pretty regular thing and really shouldn't be. The Rover has only stranded me twice in the five years I've owned it and both times it was the CPS. I did have a pretty good crack in the brittle plastic SAI flex hose that I have wrapped with electrical tape. I'm pondering a hack to replace the brittle plastic part of the flex hose with something more durable. Thanks.

99Discovery

Adventurer
I have not dealt with the CPS yet *knock on all the wood within 50 miles*, but what usually kills them is water ingress. This almost sounds like a bad connection, like the wire harness was damaged when installing the CPS. Or maybe you got a bad CPS out the box?

My dad got two bad transfer-case encoder motors for his H2 in a row, so stranger things have happened.

Well if it's potentially a bad connection, I'm going to cut the double secret left front wheel well access panel. I've thought of doing this for a while. I found it on one of the rover forums. I hate being on my back and reaching up through there to get to the connector. The two times that my CPS just failed outright, I had driven through deep snow. I thought it might be from snow getting packed in around the CPS. It can't be snow right now.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Are you registered on Landroverforums.com? It seems to be the most trafficked D2 mechanical forum. Guys on there will have dealt with various CPS issues and will help you out, that is where I"ve done all of my CPS research.

I have a mind to buy a sensor, cut out my fender well, and mod some needle-nose pliers "just in case" I have to do it in Moab....but I'm too cheap and haven't gotten around too it.

KyleT

Explorer
Non dealer Bosch parts are beginning to be junk. They have two distinct lines, factory and oe like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spoke with a service advisor at the Land Rover dealer. He said there are also wiring harness issues with the CPS in the Disco. Has anyone heard of this before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online