your thoughts on these batteries please?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Vmaxtanks AGM from http://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vma...&qid=1441232482&sr=8-11&keywords=vmax+battery QTY 2 Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr155 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 310ah total at 12V (155ah ea)

Seems like a decent deal with free shipping...

I was aiming for 200AH but for just a few $ more these two have 310AH.

Your thoughts on these?

Thanks

vmax.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was looking at that brand on Amazon. Most had lots of reviews which seemed like a pretty good source of info. I ended up with a no name battery no fancy graphics but it probably came from the same supplier for half the cost ;-) So far its been good no complaints quality seems pretty decent. Though mine is just a small 18ah battery stuffed in a 50caliber ammo box with a simple 20watt solar set up. Were just running a few LED lights and small 12volt charging hub off it. Works great no complaints I have about $200 tied up in the whole set up lights wire and power system.

baphenatem

It's tough to give you an answer on this since the product only seems to have been on the market for two years. The reviews seem positive thus far, but it's in about year five that the flaws will start to show up. On the other hand, you can't beat the price.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Ive seen them around but I dont see a reason to try it when you can get with a top of the line brand like trojan
or crown and have the proven quality to go with it.

228B

Observer
Just one of those VMax 310Ah AGM weigh 185 lbs. Discharging to 50% leaves you with 155Ah.
Two Group 31 100Ah Odyssey (weighing 75lbs ea, or, 150 lbs for the pair) discharged to 50% leaves you with 100Ah but for more money. Sears DieHard Platinum, if you can still find them, are $300 ea and Odyssey Group 31s sell for almost $400. They're the same battery, according to Odyssey/EnerSys.
The weight of each brand (lead content) per their amp-hour rating are in line with each other, so, if you can find some solid info on how these like to be charged, then create a charging system (I assume you're using these for a solar setup) that charges them properly then I'd say they'd be worth trying.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
The charging info from amazon

CHARGING CURRENT: 35A MAX. CHARGING VOLTAGE: 14.7V RECOMMENDED: 15A, 14.5V CHARGER: SMART/MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED CHARGER

zelatore

Explorer
Recommended at only 15 amps charge rate? That seems pretty low. Correction - very low! Might be fine for a solar setup that doesn't produce much power but a typical inverter/charge is usually around 100 amp output. What am I missing here?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Recommended at only 15 amps charge rate? That seems pretty low. Correction - very low! Might be fine for a solar setup that doesn't produce much power but a typical inverter/charge is usually around 100 amp output. What am I missing here?

My boat shore power is only a 15amp charger I don't see that being abnormal.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader

Thank you for your suggestion,
if I can ask you a question other than the downside is one battery doesn't work I don't have any 12 volt what is the positive side of connecting two 6 volts do I actually double the amp hours compared to two12 volt batteries?
I'm not sure if I said that correctly please bear with me thank you

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I understand!
thank you.

so two 12v batteries in parallel will double AH
two 6v batteries in series will double volts.

Two 6v batteries will be longer lasting/ durable, how so?

228B

Observer
Too, remember that "back in the day", consumers' options for deep-cycle batteries were limited. Good 12V deep-cycle batteries had yet to appear. AGM battery tech was in it's infancy just 30 years ago. What WAS available were, simply, electric-cart batteries. Golf cart batteries. Big, reliable, 6V units. Old habits die hard. Granted, AGM costs more. And LiFePO (not lithium polymer, but rather lithium iron phosphate)? Three times more $ than AGM!
The fact remains that even today, the best bang-for-your-buck deep-cycle storage batteries are the big 6V cells (three 2-volt cells). If you don't need to protect surrounding gear from off-gassing hydrochloric acid fumes, and you don't mind using a battery electrolyte hydrometer, then you may not want to spend the dough for AGM batteries.
I like AGMs. They're DOT "non-spillable", sealed, and able to be mounted in nearly any orientation except inverted (save for Optima).
One question I have, however, is how do you plan on moving that 185-lb battery around? Are you on the World's Strongest Man AAA team?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Two 80ish lb batteries easy to move around, not sure I'd want to mess with a 130lb sucker...

Im slightly lazy so I'll be getting agm batteries; )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94