Input Please: 100 Series vs GX470 vs ??

Climbermac

Observer
Well it certainly sounds like the 100 is the crowds' choice. I got a chance to drive a GX on Saturday and was not overly impressed. I think I am definitely in the market for a 100 at this point. Is there a compilation of the year by year variation on fit and finish, interior changes, options and so on out there? Lexus cross reference? I read the basic breakdown on Slee's website, are there other resources: here on Expo or on MUD? I already have my eye on an '07 I may be able to go take for a spin later this week. Are there know needed services that I should be looking at with respect to mileage: timing belt, etc...

As far as gear storage in the 100 goes, I do actually already have a military trailer project on the sidelines that would work perfectly but honestly I don't think it fits our travel style, which may be why I've never built it. We typically take long roaming trips and wheel camp to camp, so everything moves every day (or every move). I know I can build the trailer to take trails but even built it's just that much more gear, that many more tires, that much more to spot and possibly break and that much more fuel consumption. My wife and I were talking about it and I think the solution is to ditch the RTT until the kids are older. While they are small and need lots of extra gear: we can just have an empty roof rack to load up and camp in a ground tent. Once they are a bit bigger and need less specialized gear we can get a RTT again and leave the kids in the ground tent. This also opens up that once the kids are bigger we can take trips sans kids occasionally and the RTT will make it super simple to jump in the rig and run. I think that could be the ticket to the smaller cargo area of the 100.

THANKS!!!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 100 is wider which if kids seating especially 2+ is a concern the GX is narrow not as stable also. 100 is wide and really stable at speed etc. Think LC vs 4runner basically

Jwestpro

Explorer
.... unless you're like me and can't abide the GX's side-hinged--and the wrong side for North America, no less--rear door. ....

The right hinged full door never bothered me on either of my Land Rover Discoveries even though it is on the "wrong" side like you said.

While I love having a split tail gate on my LR3, kind of like a Land Cruiser except mine is shaped funny, there are pros and cons between "swing door" vs "flip up hatch".

The obvious nice aspect of the hatch top section is the instant rain coverage. Really, that's it I guess. Splitting it to create a short tail gate is an added bonus but then you start to loose rain coverage and create a distance to cargo space issue when reaching in. Yet, we all still kind of dig this design don't we.

Considering a full door swing design though presents other pros and cons:

Pro: when open, you can build a fold down work table/ cooking surface right there on the door. Super convenient in some ways, just swing open, drop tray, get to it with your cook kit on the left in the cargo area and easy to reach because you're not stretching over a little tail gate. But you are leaning on/over a potentially very dirty rear bumper. When clean, or with something rolled over it, that little bumper is almost like a tailgate. At least on my 2004 Discovery it is due to it's depth and flatness.

Other pro- if you like to have either a roof tent or rack mounted rear awning, the side swing door works better, particularly in a layout with the root tent flipped open over the rear. The tent floor then becomes a roof over the rear area for cooking or other uses if you have a lower annex connected.

Another plus for the swing door is it being a tire carrier already where a tire belongs. On the LR3, or Land Cruiser, you have to leave a smaller one underneath or invest in a bumper swing arm carrier which ads one more step/action to access the cargo area.

To me the worst thing about the swing door though was in rain and snow. There's just no quick way to utilize the cargo area without letting in rain, especially snow drifting around, even in just a couple minutes so if you have a sleep area set up there, your bed basically gets wet if you haven't prepped for the weather.

To build back in some of the benefits of the swing door but onto my R3 with the split hatch design, I did install a Kaymar rear bumper with dual swing arm carriers and customized the tire carrier arm to also accommodate a 2" receiver specifically, and only of course, a bike rack. This actually works fantastically because the bikes are roughly 48" off the ground when off road and are higher than the departure angle line off the underside of the rear bumper, such that you'd have to really get into a gully or drop ledge to risk dragging the rack itself, above which are the actual bikes. This also removes all issues associated with bike racks in towing receivers which always get in the way of using the rear area.

I suppose, overall, I really prefer the split tailgate but would choose a full lift hatch next, with swing door last now that I've lived with all of these designs over the years in different settings. The only full hatch design I've had has been on my BMW wagon but I have camped out of it a lot as well and do find the larger instant rain cover to be nice in that specific situation. In the BMW though, with less rear cargo area after the full size spare takes it's own space, I place the ARB fridge behind the driver seat and access it through the side door leaving more room at the rear for the "kitchen bin" or mtb gear bag, etc.

For me, the GX would be way too small but I don't travel light. Just the cargo space alone is what drew me to the Land Rover Discovery 1 in the first place with nearly 48" floor to ceiling and 72" door to seat backs. Later I briefly had a LC 100 series and found it to be a very nice size overall as well after removing the rear seats. It was wider and longer but the Land Rover being taller inside worked better for my way of living.

The LC100 also just seems so easy in terms of aftermarket. Plenty of choices and kind of unlimited too. Maybe you wouldn't get the 2nd fuel tank, but it's cool that you could choose from a huge fuel tank, or just a small one above the spare, or a water tank too. I like those long term options without having to go full custom for everything.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
First off let me say my opinions will be far different than the typical Cruiser head, no need to start a pissing contest i just want to share my experience and thoughts with you.

Coming from the Montero world, i like the GX it feels like a cheap knockoff of the Montero. For me the rear door was a huge plus, i don't like hatchbacks on SUVs. I can have my boat on the roof and store things in my rear door as well as add a filing table to the rear door (Usefull as ****@$). Being useful is the most important feature to me in a vehicle, my question is always "can this do everything i will ever need it to do?". The only reason i started looking at LC's was that the Montero is no longer sold here in the states and they went unibody in '01 anyway <starting to be more accepting of this actually.

The GX for me had a similar size and feel as the Montero, more luxurious (Meh) but cheaper interior. I wanted something for my light duty wheeling, camping, road trips and to replace my Monty as my daily driver. I like the 5 speed and i like the V8 power pulling up hills loaded, one thing i don't get is that this rig has 75 more horsepower and is a bit lighter than the Monty but it's not as quick. My '07 GX is stock and my '99 Montero has 35" Toyo M/T's, yeah the GX will take a hill no problem but the Monty might as well be a race car in every other scenario (Even up hills it holds it's own but at a much higher RPM). Offroad, obviously there is no faster SUV offroad than the Montero so i got into the LX and GX market knowing this and not expecting either to shine here. All in all the GX is fine, it does the light duty job but it can't replace the Montero for going fast offroad or moderate rock service (Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy Ershim, etc)

The reason i passed on the 100 series (LX470) was that it was bulky, slow, had a hatchback, 5 lug wheels (can't share spares with the rest of my fleet) and they just feel lazy. When you put it to work it was like a fat person at the gym, it just takes so much energy to do so little. They are not fit vehicles, the moment you start running it ragged it drops near single digit MPG's on stock tires. The interior and the quality was meh, about the same as the GX maybe somewhere they installed some slightly better switches and panels MAYBE. The body felt more solid on the 100 for sure, I like things like heavy doors that even when you slam them they are so well sealed it actually buffers the aggressive door shutting. I think the 100 would be better for moderate rock service, most people don't think about it but having a solid body means a longer service life even if you never experience body damage. Constant suspension cycling and wheeling while overloaded with gear takes it's toll, some rigs can take it and others can not. The 100 series will take abuse for a long time, much like the Montero you can wheel a 100 series for weeks of brutality and when you finally hit pavement for some 1500 mile drive home it's going to be smooth and quiet just like you remembered it being.

Both have undercarriages stupidly arranged, vitals screaming "crush me" but all in all i think they are 2 of the best 4x4's available within the past 10 years stateside. I don't think you can go wrong with either it mostly depends on your planned usage and driving style.

Anthony Cole

Things I like about GX470
- Rear door which are easier to use for loading/unloading.
- The size are better for everyday use if you dont use the 3rd row seat. The 3rd row are a joke on GX470.
- Available Kinetic suspension which would help articulation a lot.
- Came with torsen diff.
- Better departure angle
- Better fuel economy

Hope this makes some sense
http://codeandco.ae/
Anthony Cole

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up a GX460 about a month ago and love it. I started looking at the LCs and after I picked my jaw up off the ground because of the prices people were asking I started considering other options. I first started looking for an 2008/2009 GX470 with KDSS and sports package but everything I found was up in the GX460 price range. I ended up finding a sweet 2010 with lower miles and great service history for about the same price as an LC that was 8+ years older with 5x mileage.

Yes, I understand it is a "Land Cruiser Lite" and I'm ok with that. It's got all the luxury of a LC and Lexus and built on the same platform as the 5th gen 4runner. So whilst it may get beat up more on African roads than a 100/200 series, it's a nice compromise for my needs.

But yes..... the back door sucks......

Climbermac

Observer
"Land Cruiser Lite" is a relative term...it's still a Land Cruiser, that is a LOT tougher than a lot of what's out there.

I bounced around on the 470 and 460 a good bit. The 460 to me is almost a hybrid of a 200 series, very nice. I dislike my rear door, but so far not as much as I thought I would, but time will tell. The 460 at least has the glass hatch! My wife digs my 470 enough that I may have convinced her that a 460 should be her next toy, then I can have that in the wings for later!

SnoViking

Adventurer
I was shopping for a 2M awning before I picked up the GX but now I'm considering a 270 degree awning like the batwing to get some coverage over the back.

I'm still adjusting to not having a place to stand when it's raining and I'm loading/unloading groceries......

Arktikos

Explorer
The reason i passed on the 100 series (LX470) was that it was bulky, slow, had a hatchback, 5 lug wheels (can't share spares with the rest of my fleet) and they just feel lazy. When you put it to work it was like a fat person at the gym, it just takes so much energy to do so little. They are not fit vehicles, the moment you start running it ragged it drops near single digit MPG's on stock tires.

LOL. Careful, there may be some forum prohibitions for ridiculing the obese.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94