Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat cover Review

Lynn

Expedition Leader
kjp1969 said:
One killer improvement I could think of would be to make the seat back seperate from the seat and double as a bug out bag.

You know, these are based on the military MOLLE gear, which is the latest generation of WEB gear.

The system was designed primarily for GIs to carry gear. The base for the system is usually a vest or belt/suspenders (harness) setup.

strike-lbe-2.jpg

The reason I mention that is that if you wanted a bug-out version, you might be able to take one of the vest or harness setups and figure out a way to strap it to a seat back.

That way instead of carrying the seat back you just undo the vest or harness and strap it on your body.

Just a thought.

Superu

Explorer
Nice write up.

Enjoy them while the little one is unable to get at 'em! :)

Once that happens, the "gear" may end up being Elmo, sippy cups, pull-ups and wipes! :wavey:

Moody

Needs to get out more
I really like those. thanks for taking the time to post some pictures. If they make some that cover the entire seat, I will be all over them.

One quick question, are the back of the covers coated (like a tent floor or something along those lines) as to inhibit breathability?

I would like to see them make something like that to go over the back seats, and make it accessible with the seat folded forward...

FlyingWen

Explorer
Miss R2FJ said:
Very nice, I only wish these would work on the FJ because we could really use the storage!

We have sold these seat covers to several FJ owners and have not yet had any returns. Maybe that mean that they are adjustable enough to fit the FJ, but I can't say 100%.

They sure are made of some heavy duty material, that's for sure!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
G.E.A.R. Seat Covers

Nic,
Good review. I've been satisfied with my GEAR seat cover thus far. As Scott mentionned, it does move arround a bit but covers the essential areas and that nasty tear in my driver's seat!

Willman said:
Having a young family....It is always nice to have more places to put things.

The first thing that came to mind is lots of hiding places for the young family members to hide a piece of food that will decompose over time making you scratch your head as to where that funky smell is coming from...:elkgrin:

wierbeard

just my .02 cents worth. I bought one of these to see if it would fit an 80 series LC, and NOPE.

So i'm taking it to a upholstery shop to see if they can mod it for a reasonable price with additional denier panels and heavy duty hook and loop to replace the fastex clips. Also to make an opening on the side for the seat controls. I believe they will have to modify the length as well to ensure the right fit on the seat top. I'd like to do this myself but lack the sewing machine skills and am not sure if one of those small hand sewers has the needed oomph to push through the material.

IggyB

Adventurer
I just hung some old backpacks on the seatbacks that my girls used for school last year. The backpacks are not very big and since they get new ones at the beginning of the year I always have a good selection to choose from.

Put the headrest rods through the handle of the pack and wrap the waist strap around the seat. :D

wierbeard

Thats what i had been doing with my old rucksacks/camelback systems. I seem to acquire tons of these things, everytime i deploy. lol. So thats why i went with the Smitty's, i have some molle hydration bladders that i'd like to use, so i don't have to worry about the lack of cupholders in the 80 series.

Dowry

Observer
Reviving an old thread: I was lusting after the Smitty Gear covers too but decided they were too pricey and didn't want to cover the whole seat as others have noted. I since found these at Sears for $9.99 and they fill the bill for me:
http://www.caselogic.com/back_seat_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57181

Drawbacks are:
- the Fastex buckle at the headrest either fits your seat and physique or it doesn't,
- No bugout bag capability, but then those MOLLE packs aren't the easiest to attach and remove, I find,
- no seat cushion pouches.
- less stuff to fiddle with (could be a plus!)

But then, I'm $120 ahead.

HTH someone,

D

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I use these in my 4Runner.

Dowry said:
Reviving an old thread: I was lusting after the Smitty Gear covers too but decided they were too pricey and didn't want to cover the whole seat as others have noted. I since found these at Sears for $9.99 and they fill the bill for me:
http://www.caselogic.com/back_seat_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57181

Drawbacks are:
- the Fastex buckle at the headrest either fits your seat and physique or it doesn't,
- No bugout bag capability, but then those MOLLE packs aren't the easiest to attach and remove, I find,
- no seat cushion pouches.
- less stuff to fiddle with (could be a plus!)

But then, I'm $120 ahead.

HTH someone,

D

GaryMc

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
They might work ok on the Disco. Overall, I was not impressed with the fitment to my Tacoma. Without a securing connection at the back of the seat base, they would frequently slide out of position, bunch up, etc. Combined with the fact that the seat bottom has insufficient coverage and the "slippery" nylon effect on more "spirited" driving, I elected not to review the covers in detail, or recommend them.

I really liked them in person (on a Jeep seat at SEMA), and they are really close with some minor tweaks.

Scott, any idea if they would fit the Corbeau "Sport" seats any better?

Bella PSD

Explorer
I was worried about how they would fit on my Super Duty. Not being made for such a large seat. Well turns out they fit pretty good. I notice that the Toyota has kind of a loose fit. Not the Ford, nice tight fit. Very tight, so tight that the front storage area can not be used. Other than that, happy! Could fit perfect with just a little modifying.

Louie

Hoss86

Observer
Bella PSD said:
I was worried about how they would fit on my Super Duty. Not being made for such a large seat. Well turns out they fit pretty good. I notice that the Toyota has kind of a loose fit. Not the Ford, nice tight fit. Very tight, so tight that the front storage area can not be used. Other than that, happy! Could fit perfect with just a little modifying.

Louie

Bella PSD,

Do you know what part number you bought for your truck. I saw Smittybilt's website and they have part numbers for different vehicles. I have a 05 Superduty that I want to add these seat covers for the space. Thanks

Hoss86

Willman

Update

We have had a few emails/calls on these covers and i thought i should update this review:

These covers are a love/hate relationship.....

I have had one seam come apart on me. My wife has the tools to repair that.

DSC_0001.jpg

The bottom attach's kind of weird with these cords that don't really hold. I have seen people take out their seat and tuck their oem plastic to hold the cover in place. That mod seems to hold them in place ok.

Overall.....Great storage for my Tacoma! It does take up a little space back there but nothing a rider can't move with his knee..... Bad design/quality on the cover. I think i will end up cutting off the bottom (It doesn't even cover the whole bottom of the seat any way....which sucks!) of the cover just to keep the storage back there. The bags seem to be good quality....It just seems that they put alot of quality into the bags but forgot about the cover....

Sierra Expeditions has stopped selling his product due to lack of quality. We can still get them but buyer be ware!

More good discussion here

http://www.fjbruisers.org/forum/index.php?topic=4480.0

Last edited:

leman

Adventurer
sad to see that this product isnt holding up. driving a jeep i have been looking at these for awhile. always a need more places to stash stuff while the doors/ top is off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz