Recommend a brand / kind of water filter for 4x4 setup?

Maninga

Adventurer
It could probably do the job fine as a standalone unit but I've had severe stomach problems that've lasted a number of years and almost put a stop to build a few times (I couldn't work full time for a year or two, thankfully under control now). If there's a nice, simple solution that'll make a difference and help prevent bugs, I'll take anything I can get. Also part of the reason I've got 2 tanks, 1 for drinking, 1 for showering/hot water.

Two differences I see. The UV-1 goes to 0.5 micron, my inline one is 1 micron and secondary is 0.4-0.1 micron. Flow rate through the UV-1 is 1 Gallon/minute, for a 12 gallon tank would be good, one I'm using is 1.5-2.5 GPM which adds up when filling 100 gallons. UV-1 looks like a good unit

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Took awhile to find. here is a link to another system. To be truthful it doesn't seem so user friendly, it says it the filter dries out, you are in trouble.

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/

To the OP I've got a question: Why are you pumping 3.5 gal/min at 55psi? Where does this come into play? What is the purpose? If I'm getting
clean water, and lots of it. I'd sit down and relax and let it happen.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Took awhile to find. here is a link to another system. To be truthful it doesn't seem so user friendly, it says it the filter dries out, you are in trouble.

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/

To the OP I've got a question: Why are you pumping 3.5 gal/min at 55psi? Where does this come into play? What is the purpose? If I'm getting
clean water, and lots of it. I'd sit down and relax and let it happen.

Thanks for the link.

The 3.5 gal/min @ 55psi is just the rating on the shurflow pump I bought.
...Maybe I didn't get the most appropriate pump?

Now that I'm leaning towards a UV-1 http://www.purauv.com/puraundersink.htm , it is only rated at 1gal/min anyway, so I assume it will slow the flow down to that.

Thanks again for the help,
-Dan

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am working on a system for my truck. My thinking is to filter the water before it hits the holding tank. If I have some type of failure (pump/electrical/etc) I will have clean water in the tank. I am also incorporating a manual foot pump into the system. There are several threads on the forum, great first hand information on what works and what doesn't! :snorkel: Like most design projects, simplicity is complicated.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
^^That seems like a logical way to go about it. Post it up when you get it done. Seems like everyone is in a hurry. I kind of like the Sawyer system, even
if it is gravity feed. Being able to process large volume is important.

Kiomon

Adventurer
We really like General Ecology's SeaGull filters. They are one of the good companies that publish full test results of their filters. We filter as we pump into our tanks with a 5 micron filter, and then coming out the tank, all water is UV sterilized and then drinking water and cooking water goes through the tape.

We sterilize the entire system, including the fill hose, (using bleach/chlorine) once a month or so to ensure nothing is growing in them :) we have a write up of our system on our blog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier