4 cylinder diesel option for future LR?

haven

Expedition Leader
Jaguar, corporate cousin of Land Rover, is planning to import a sedan to USA with a 2.0L diesel engine option. The diesel produces peak torque of 317 pound-feet of torque from 1750 to 2500 rpm. In the 3400 lb sedan, the diesel will return 35-40 mpg.

Since the new diesel has completed EPA certification, it would not cost Land Rover very much to add the diesel as an option in future Land Rovers. The newly released Land Rover Discovery Sport gets 250 ft lb from a turbo 2.0L 4 cylinder gas engine, but at higher rpm.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Problem with the discovery sport is the drivetrain is FWD based....the engine is transverse. I'm not sure the turbo diesel will fit (assuming the Jag sedan is RWD (Jag has released anemic FWD sedans under Ford's ownership, I would hope they wouldn't go back!). So the question is if this new motor would fit in the Disco sport.

This would be a sweet Overland engine choice for the new Defender though! It's probably too weak of an engine for the Disco 5 (which is supposed to be getting the RR diesel anyway). It might even make a D110 sluggish (but economical). I would be interested.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The new 4cylinder little 2 to 2.8's are getting interesting. The power ratings cover a wide range. Mercedes little 2L is 200hp and pretty impressive grunt. The New GM 2.8 I suspect will be very similar 180-200hp. I think its going to get interesting in the next year or so for us. These little diesels are a pretty fair substitute for the v6 gassers at least its starting to look like they might be.

JackW

Explorer
The new Ingenium 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engines are available in two hp ratings in the Jaguar - 161 HP and 177 HP - both in rear wheel drive configuration.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xe/91255/jaguar-xe-portfolio-diesel-2015-review

http://www.jaguar.com/fleet-and-business/news/xe-ingenium-engine.html

Its pretty much a given that this engine type will be available in the next Defender - and possibly a five cylinder 2.5 liter version as well.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/new...land-rover-powers-new-ingenium-engine-family/

The Discovery 5 will probably have the TDV6 engine or an updated version that will be available in the Range Rovers this fall.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
The Discovery 5 will probably have the TDV6 engine or an updated version that will be available in the Range Rovers this fall.

I thought the "newer" engine was already in the Range Rover for 2016? Maybe that's what you meant, that a Disco 5 will likely get the same as the TDV6 RR. A driver test in Idaho or somewhere stated 30 mpg on the highway for a decently long enough trip to test.

I'm loving the sound of that considering it's with stock sized and spec tires. A Michelin LTX M/S2 with their Green X tech slightly oversized would be incredible on the Range Rover or a Disco 5. My LR3 shows +10% increase in mpg using the 32" Michelin vs stock size.

The new vehicles will be awesome right up until the instrument cluster goes black from a computer glitch. ;)

Thon

We've had the 2.2 TD4 / SD4 4 cyl turbodiesels in Europe for nearly 10 years and it always amazes me that they never saw sufficient demand to sell them in the U.S. I have an LR2 fitted with the TD4 variant, which makes 160ps and 295 lb.ft of torque. It's plenty powerful enough for this type of vehicle and achieves 36 MPG (EU gallons = 4.55l as opposed to US gallons = 3.96l I think?). The engines are extremely reliable too, with a joint Ford / Peugeot design. Pretty hard on clutches it must be said though, but typical of the 4 cyl TDCI that needs a DMF to smooth it out.

I'm pretty sure the TDV6 would have sold well even if the LR2 has a bad reputation over there. Small capacity turbo diesels have come such a long way in the last 15 years, it's like night and day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne