Defender 110 information needed.

zolo

Explorer
I have a very low knowledge level of the Defender line and the model changes and engine changes over the years.
I have a friend who is wanting to buy a late model Defender 110 (2008-2012) He has asked me to go see a few down here in Chile and I have.
But Im not sure what Im looking at compared to what I worked on back in the US.

Im a mechanic and he wants me to make sure whatever he buys is mechanically sound. However Im still confused as to what motors they had and what changes they made over the years.

I looked at a 2008 110 yesterday. It appeared to have the Ford developed diesel motor with a 6spd manual Getrag trans.
Does that add up correct for the year? If so what draw backs are there to that engine and trans set up?

One question I had was what years did Rover use the diesel TD5 with the coded injectors? The ones with a special number needing to be coded to the motors ECU to run? I know you need the IDS for this task.

Im trying to increase my understanding of the differences for the years. The motors seem to broke down into 3 types. The 300tdi, the TD5i, and the Ford developed motor which I assume is a TD5 but maybe without the coded injectors? And what years did they all come in?

Any help would be appreciated. And before anyone brings it up no the truck is not getting imported anywhere its for use in South America only.
Here are a few photos of the 2008

Attachments

• IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Dozer Dan

Observer
The 300TDI was from 1994-1998. Good engine.
The TD5 was the last Land Rover developed engine. This is now a proven engine. All the noise about reliability concerns was from before the reliability was actually tested by time. There are no expensive time bombs on these.
The TDCI was introduced in the Defender in 2007. It was a 2.4l 4cyl ford engine. It's not without issues. The field is very divided between the people really liking it and the people really hating it. Being a 4pot it is rougher than the TD5. it consumes a bit more fuel but should be a touch more powerful. It's commonly referred to as the Puma engine. It doesn't have a dual mass flywheel which is obviously great for reliability but it doesn't help the ride.
The interior was also "upgraded" in 2007. Well, heating and cooling was vastly improved but they made away with the beloved vents in the bulkhead.

Much more info available on UK forums such as lr4x4.com etc.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
The 300 tdi was available through 2006.

^that

Tdci is 07-15, 2.4 up to 11 or so, 2.2 from there on. I like both the engines and the mt82 gearbox. I wouldn't say we have enough high mileage experience to determine its reliability, but we've never had a mechanical issue.

Maml

Just make sure the recalls have been done. Early Puma models had a few niggles, mostly sorted by late 2012.
Agree, lots of info on UK forums... Try Defender2.net.
Love that colour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles