My next new build is about to start - V3 Explorer - Feedback from the group needed

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
That looks incredible! I think you will like the Awl grip, good stuff.

I really wish I had a bagging system now...

@java, I was able to buy my vac pump off ebay for $50. Some kind of commercial thing. It can suck approx 1 atmos which is probably all I need. It didn't cost me much to add the air fittings and filters.

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
Do you look for wall panels or for panels for your cabinets? I have build a camper with composite panels a few years ago. It is 11.5 ft x 7 ft x 6.5 ft plus cabover and weighs dry about 850 kg or 1870 lbs fully equipped. I did not use wall panels on the interior, just painted the inside of the composite panels. After 6 years of use (about 5 months per year) I should repaint it. A friend of mine used wallpaper. Looks great and is very light.
For my cabinets I used 1/2 inch plywood covered with hpl (high pressure laminate). Despite a lot of very bad roads especially in Africa nothing broke. I used Sika 221 to attache the cabinets to the walls because screws don't work in composite panels. No problems so far.
Stefan

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Do you look for wall panels or for panels for your cabinets? I have build a camper with composite panels a few years ago. It is 11.5 ft x 7 ft x 6.5 ft plus cabover and weighs dry about 850 kg or 1870 lbs fully equipped. I did not use wall panels on the interior, just painted the inside of the composite panels. After 6 years of use (about 5 months per year) I should repaint it. A friend of mine used wallpaper. Looks great and is very light.
For my cabinets I used 1/2 inch plywood covered with hpl (high pressure laminate). Despite a lot of very bad roads especially in Africa nothing broke. I used Sika 221 to attache the cabinets to the walls because screws don't work in composite panels. No problems so far.
Stefan

I might have to move to some kind of plywood. Did you use marine ply? I am worried about mould. Old boats with plywood panels and bulheads seem to get a funk about them after a while.
_
Did you think about rubber toughened epoxy (like West green glue) instead of Sikaflex? Or did you want the flex?
_
For sure, I won't be able to screw anything to the walls. If I absolutely need to screw something to a wall, I will glue a 1/4" G10 plate first and thread into that.

java

Expedition Leader
@java, I was able to buy my vac pump off ebay for $50. Some kind of commercial thing. It can suck approx 1 atmos which is probably all I need. It didn't cost me much to add the air fittings and filters.

Wow im impressed, I pictured you doing this with a pro set up table and all. Care to share a bit more pics of the panel making? I'm on lots of the boat forums and the coosa has taken over. Are you using Coosa brand or something else?

Id be interested in seeing some rough costs too if your willing to share.

sg1

Adventurer
I used Sika because I wanted the flex. Somebody had told me that even composite panels expand and contract a little with temperature change. It turned out that this was great advice. When the sun is really blazing on the roof the seal between the roof and the cabinets visibly expands. Especially in the middle between the front and the rear the roof seems to raise by about 1 to 2 mm. Sika can compensate that and there are no cracks.
I used these https://www.reimo.com/de/52012-moebelbauplatte_schichtstoff_apfel_dekor_728 plywood panels. They are specifically developed for use in diy rv's and easy to work with. Even I could make good looking cabinets.
Stefan

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
@Java, I bailed on the coosa concept. I found out that the glass is the center of the panel with a foam type material on the outside. The foam is quite stout, but I would still have to cover it with something. More laminating that I didn;t want to do. The panels are pretty spendy if I still have to do more. I am looking at alternatives now.

I am roughly $25K in for materials (carbon, foam, paint etc). Its an expensive box, but it will be light.

My panels are Divinycell H80 (1" think) 5lbs per cubic ft. The laminate is two layers of carbon each side. A biax cloth around 20oz and then a 90 degree weave to make the outside layer look nize another 8oz. We figure we got to around 14oz sqft for the panels. The box is approx 700 lbs.

Last edited:

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
I used Sika because I wanted the flex. Somebody had told me that even composite panels expand and contract a little with temperature change. It turned out that this was great advice. When the sun is really blazing on the roof the seal between the roof and the cabinets visibly expands. Especially in the middle between the front and the rear the roof seems to raise by about 1 to 2 mm. Sika can compensate that and there are no cracks.
I used these https://www.reimo.com/de/52012-moebelbauplatte_schichtstoff_apfel_dekor_728 plywood panels. They are specifically developed for use in diy rv's and easy to work with. Even I could make good looking cabinets.
Stefan

Thanks for the link. I am not sure I can find these in the US. Do you know a distributor?

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
Sorry I don't know a US distributor. I wanted to show the type of plywood. But similar products should be available in the US. In my other camper, a FWC Hawk similar plywood is used. Unfortunately the quality is not the same.
It is still difficult to find good quality components for overland vehicles in the US or Canada but it is getting better.
When I retired 6 years ago we decided to travel to Africa and to do the Panamericana. Because of the weight restrictions in many of the more interesting African parks I was looking for a comfortable overland vehicle with a GVW of 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Not a chance in North America at that time. Things have improved in the meantime.
Because I am German-Canadian I researched the German market and found overlanders paradise. Lots of experienced custom builders who without exception use composite panels and a huge selection of components I hadn't even known before. Finaly a guy who has been building composite overland campers since 1982 and who even produces his own panels build a shell and I did the interior relaying heavily on his suppliers. Together we managed to build an overland vehicle with bathroom, shower and a full queen bed within the specified weight limit. After 5 years of abuse in Africa, Europe and Latin America I replaced 2 shocks and an ABS sensor. Building light and strong is possible. Your build is the first in North America I am aware of trying to keep weight down using modern materials.
Sorry for being so long. Stefan

From a translation of that link it appears to be Popular plywood with an Apple laminate. Birch plywood is commonly liked by the community here. Quality plywood with no voids is expensive and hard to find without paying large shipping fees. When it comes to that it is best to order in a quantity that justifies the shipping and split the order with friends.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
That looks fantastic! How is the truck coming along? Any updates on the frame stretch?

Truck is bought and paid for. Getting delivered to DK Diesel. The stretch is turning out to be a lot more than a stretch. I have listed the truck program below:
_
2017 RAM 3500 Mega-Cab
_
20"x11" - Wheels from Stazworks. Nitto Trail Grappler 37"x13.5"R20
_
DJ @ DK is doing the following:
- Stretch the frame to be 124" from the back of the cab to the bumper mount
- Fass Fuel Lift Pump & Filter
- New gearing and ARB lockers front and back
- ARB Onboard air w/tank
- Spyntec Free Spin kit up front
- BDS Leveling kit
- Bushwacker Flares
- Titan 51 gal tank
- Buckstop Classic 3 Front bumper
- Warn 12K Winch
- Edge Insight CTS2 Instruments
- Amp Side steps
_
I will have a brand new factory bed, wheels and rubber for sale.
_
They are going to send pics along the way and I will post for sure.

Last edited:

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Sorry I don't know a US distributor. I wanted to show the type of plywood. But similar products should be available in the US. In my other camper, a FWC Hawk similar plywood is used. Unfortunately the quality is not the same.
It is still difficult to find good quality components for overland vehicles in the US or Canada but it is getting better.
When I retired 6 years ago we decided to travel to Africa and to do the Panamericana. Because of the weight restrictions in many of the more interesting African parks I was looking for a comfortable overland vehicle with a GVW of 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Not a chance in North America at that time. Things have improved in the meantime.
Because I am German-Canadian I researched the German market and found overlanders paradise. Lots of experienced custom builders who without exception use composite panels and a huge selection of components I hadn't even known before. Finaly a guy who has been building composite overland campers since 1982 and who even produces his own panels build a shell and I did the interior relaying heavily on his suppliers. Together we managed to build an overland vehicle with bathroom, shower and a full queen bed within the specified weight limit. After 5 years of abuse in Africa, Europe and Latin America I replaced 2 shocks and an ABS sensor. Building light and strong is possible. Your build is the first in North America I am aware of trying to keep weight down using modern materials.
Sorry for being so long. Stefan

No worries. I am orginally from Canada. Now living in Colorado. My truck alone will weigh more than your limits. I figure I am 7,300 lbs for the truck and 11,000 lbs all up wet.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
It's white now ...

We cut the laminating table in half. Cleaned the shop, put the cabin on casters and wheeled her in the shop. BTW: Paint is Alexseal - Cloud White.
_
My daughter is trying out the bed area already :)

2016-10-02 14.49.03.jpg
_
2016-10-02 14.44.36.jpg
_
2016-10-02 14.44.44.jpg

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
The new truck has arrived >>>

Here it is:

At DK Diesel now for the long-bed extension and some other cool mods.

2017, 3500 RAM Diesel, Mega-CabIMG_4251.jpg

Check out DK Diesel on FaceBook for a list of the other things they are doing to this truck ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles