flip-back build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I am also a Flippac luster but don't have the funds for one either. I did work at an auto interior shop for several years though. I have stayed in contact with my old boss over the years. He has since moved on to working mostly on boat canvases. I have shown him my RTT and he loves the concept. I bet I could get him on board to maybe build something similar for my Tacoma in the future when we outgrow the RTT.

BTW, what type of sewing machine did you go with? I have been thinking about taking up some canvas sewing. My good friend found a couple older (60s-70s) machines to try out when I get around to it. They aren't Jukis or anything like that but seem pretty stout for what they are.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
depending on canvas weight and a heavy duty needle the older ones would probably stitch really well..I think the one I got is an epson...just basic machine target sells..

Good luck on your build!! I will try and help with any questions you have!

I found a large Flippac for sale in my area. I have a ram 1500 eco diesel, After reading your post I'm a bit concerned that it won't fit the truck! Has anyone ever put a flippac on a 14+ dodge 1500?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
mine was custom made..

I dont know if you have a standard 8ft bed or the 6.4 I have...you will need to measure it and see if it fits the box.

Arclight

SAR guy
I found a large Flippac for sale in my area. I have a ram 1500 eco diesel, After reading your post I'm a bit concerned that it won't fit the truck! Has anyone ever put a flippac on a 14+ dodge 1500?

The only way to know for sure is to exactly measure the front-to-back and sides in inches. Also measure how much clearance your cab needs for the overhang. Contrary to 100's of Craigslist ads, there is no "standard bed" pickup. Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota...all of them have made 6, 6.5' and 8' beds in a variety of widths and variants. So measure, measure and measure before you buy! Take a tape measure and compare everything betwen the shell on the ground and your truck when you show up.

Flippacs are made in two basic widths, and then the bed rails are glassed up to match the exact bed on the customer's truck. So an 8' bed F350 Flippac may or may not fit an 8' bed Dodge 2500. If you're lucky, a bit of trimming and fiberglass work in your garage or a boat shop can true up minor variations. Otherwise, measure and buy an exact fit only.

Arclight

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
sofar its been a hit at Carters Caves in kentucky in 90* weather with 2 12vt trucker fans...and a boyscout campout lots of jealous dads sleeping on the hard ground.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Could you give us unwashed a few pictures of your setup? Please. :snorkel:

hasnt changed really...Im getting ready to order 2 megamat 10's so we can have a more durable and better pad than either an air matttress that leaks or a foam pad that compresses..

100_1150_zpson5ymlq4.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
about once a month right now...just cus im super busy with work.

I took it to michigan to ride part of their 1100 miles of dual sport trails..

we did carters caves in kentucky and it was AWSOME!!!...3hr drive from cbus...

in 2 weeks we are doing treasure island RV park in deleware. just north of ocean city md..1 mile to public beach...and their own dock on the bay for blue crabs for diner...

Just picked up 2 mega mat 10s for the top and built a new awning but didnt finish it during the day so no new pics yet...

you getting out and about?

Last edited:

BOPOH

Explorer
Just driving around Vinton county, but i want to get more into camping. If you planning anything around weekends, can i tag along?

I went offroad two weekends ago

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
you got an FJ? cool...we used to wheel with a girl who bought one brand new and ran with us...impressive little M&M...

I dont wheel the ram...costs way too much in parts and downtime if I cant work...I got a little dual sport to ride on trails..

I think we should plan a trip...I like to basecamp then ride the bike..plenty of cool roads to ride that will make sure nothng gets broke and offers amazing scenery..

BOPOH

Explorer
haha thanks, i have montero too that i wheel a little harder than FJ but right now it's down due to melted wire. I'm usually free on weekends, although now during vacation season i may work occasional sunday night. I always wanted to try your "day trips" you've been talking about so i'm up for anything

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Heck Yeah man!!

Im kidless every 2 weekends..

lemme find a chunk of the TATERTOT to run....its the currently in develoupment trans ohio trail...mostly off pavement roads...currently 1300 miles long from euclid to marietta...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
New awning design..poles fit up in hammock...takes about 5min to set it up..works open or closed..I have the blue syn-nylon RipstopbytheRoll from the last awning and it's more shade and looks better..(8x9) the tarp is both for rain and privacy/walls (8x12)

Matetials are 3/4 and 1/2 emt conduit and sleeves on roof are 1in. Holes in 1in are both tube stops and screws mounting it. Poles collapse down to 72 In..

I need to get some more blue ratchet straps...also I have reflective cord I'm going to use to stake it down in high winds.

4c742cb46b7f712b8c4c87eafd8d84ae.jpg
302f718e5d1930ab4835e85e3ac3b54c.jpg

69c8e8bdf27794cbcc3a119f3e666bb7.jpg
96213035a5f6d6754642f07d5cf2aba3.jpg
bdf208b15ef107a0db543e3ac121ccf6.jpg
41712f4695d3355ea6337af27efb87b4.jpg
b30be990d1a28ccac5a09a40daf83587.jpg
73fefbcc1bda77136e664229252a8de5.jpg
4c7372555c3f01b0b9ef2702bcb706ca.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads