Surly Pugsley - Weight Weenie Inquiries

jayspies

Adventurer
I have a Lauf on route for my BG. To be honest, not sure what I think of that thing. I'll have to wait and see.

I would be VERY ingterested in what you think of a Lauf with 4" tires. I like the Lauf for it's weight and maintenance free aspects, but the undamped-ness of the rebound compared with the undamped-ness of the fat tires seems to be a recipe for a basketball-bounce diminishing loss of control downward spiral, especially if speeds are or become high during a descent. Be sure to post up on that one when you get some seat time.

JPsLC

Observer
The weird fat tire names makes reading this thread difficult. I went to see what the Lauf tire was all about but found a crazy fork instead! That thing is different but hopefully in a good way. I look forward to a review.

Lauf Forks

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
yes we got derailed on forks. Here is some Lauf Expo fun. I don't know if I would be that close to the cables if the fork were to grenade.

jayspies

Adventurer
That's more than a little impressive. Agree that I would not personally be under one of those cables.

Fork distractions ******! :wings:

deuxdiesel

Observer
A 27 pound Pugs is easy. This was built without any carbon. With a carbon fork, rims, post and bar it could be in the 24-ish range. This is a Lefty on B+ rims and Fat B Nimble tires.
image.jpg

jayspies

Adventurer
Di you use Project 321 clamps for that Lefty? I am in the process of lefty-izing my Mukluk, and am using clamps from Mendon Cycle Smith in NY. Assuming that's a supermax? Impressive, BTW.

deuxdiesel

Observer
Yep, 321 adapter, but it is a '15 Lefty with 100 mm of travel. No need for the SuperMax when using 3" tires, only for the larger tires. There is no loss of travel like on the Mendon clamps, which by the way are fantastic. I had a set on an older Pugs, and Craig is an absolute peach to work with. Great service and price for his kits and fork rebuilding. The new Lefty's are so much nicer because they don't have the issue with bearing migration like to older versions, but they are expensive. I've had normal fat Pugs, a 29+ Pugs, and I even have a tandem Pugs, but the B+ set-up I think make for a great adventure bike with little to no compromises.

jayspies

Adventurer
That's awesome. Craig and I are about halfway through the process of parts collection; I plan to go full-fat lefty. I sourced a 2008 C-Dale Prophet and am scavenging the fork (a Max 140) and hub. Plan to part out the rest of the bike to recoup costs. Travel will go down to 110, but that should be waaay more than enough with the tire squish mixed in. So this thread isn't derailed entirely, what was the weight of your Pugs when in full-fat lefty mode?

deuxdiesel

Observer
It was right up there with a stock Pugs, so about 34 or so, and used light 1x cranks and a few other bits. The 26x4" tires, even the very lightest ones, are still pretty heavy compared to these FBN's, which are 800g or so each. Unless you need to run 4.8" tires on really wide rims, you might consider looking at 26" trials rims- they are strong and quite light, and support a 4" tire without issues, but they are only 50mm wide, so the tire profile is more round.

jayspies

Adventurer
Funny you say that, I am going to go with Light-Bicycle (chinese) carbon rims, 65 mm wide. Craig likes them, and at 480g apiece, they're crazy light. Paired with some 26"x4" FBN's, or the ever-elusive Schwalbe Jumbo Jims and you have a fat wheelset that approaches the weight of an aluminum 29'er set. Plus, they can make them offset drilled to accomodate the regular lefty hub.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/65mm-wide-carbon-fat-bike-rim-26er-hookless-double-wall-tubeless-compatible.html#.VilNEmSrSes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94