LR3 search

HSL

First time posting here. Previous owner of a '97 D1 5spd

I'm on a hunt for an LR3 with HD package. Is it really worth the searching? If I find a vehicle that checks all the other boxes (including price and miles) am I wrong to feel hesitant if it doesn't have the HD package?

My perfect truck would be:
No nav
Upgraded stereo option
HD package
Black
Black interior
V8
7 seats

A lot of searching so far and have yet to find a single one with the HD package

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Depends on application. Did you find yourself in a position with your D1 where you needed a rear locker to extricate yourself from a situation safely on a frequent basis?

Personally I think the HD package is great, and a lot of folks on here search them out b/c it does add capability-but a non-HD LR3 is still plenty capable even in stock form (more capable than the stock D1, IMHO, and I too have a 5 speed D1 that I love dearly).

Your criteria was similar to mine when I searched for my truck, I made a list of options I wanted in priority order and the HD was there but nowhere near the top so when I found a Green/Black with HD, cold wx, upgraded stereo and 7 seats I was done. If I want a locker later I'll get the ARB. In the meantime there are Maxtrax and a winch.
r-
Ray

Jason911

Adventurer
Ironically enough - I'm going to look at a '06 LR3 HSE, every option except navigation and 3rd row seating. 30,000 original miles, blue exterior, tan interior. Never driven in the winter. Never having owned a Landy before, always been GM/Jeep - but need something with more space. If it's not to my liking, I'll pass the info your way.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
First time posting here. Previous owner of a '97 D1 5spd

I'm on a hunt for an LR3 with HD package. Is it really worth the searching? If I find a vehicle that checks all the other boxes (including price and miles) am I wrong to feel hesitant if it doesn't have the HD package?

My perfect truck would be:
No nav
Upgraded stereo option
HD package
Black
Black interior
V8

A lot of searching so far and have yet to find a single one with the HD package

Hey man! Welcome. As a fellow new guy here, and LR3 seeker, let me just say that you're in the right place. I've gotten unbelievable feedback and insights from many guys on this forum. Anyways, I can relate to your search. While my list wasn't the same as yours, in the beginning I too thought the HD was important. Guys here talked me out of it, based on my intended usage for the truck, which is light off-roading and camping. I feel like just finding any used LR3's that are in very good mechanical condition is hard enough, without a list of must haves. I'm sure its different in various regions around the country, but in the Southeast, I feel lucky to have found a solid truck. It is Black/Black but no HD! Keep up the searching, and be relentless with your pursuit once you find potentials. Ask the hard questions, as I had several CL posters stop responding to me once I started "digging" for service records or known problems. Pay close attention to any red flags in their behavior and listen to your gut! good luck, keep us posted.:victory:

HSL

Ray_G: With the D1 I wasn't usually doing anything too extreme so I really didn't find myself wishing I had a rear locker that often although when I had the D1 I lived in Florida and now I just recently moved to Oregon. Different terrain and trails obviously and having that HD package seems like it would just be a nice thing to have but you're right about going the ARB route.

Jason911: Thanks! Keep me updated (although I forgot I was keen on having 7 seats since so many LR3s have them)

StreetsofCompton: Thanks! I've always lurked Expo and I enjoyed reading your threads since you're in a similar position as me. The LR crowd is great. I've done a fair amount of calling around and have two I'm watching closely but still no HD package found :squint:

Side note... Does anyone know what the different stereo options were for the LR3?

Jwestpro

Explorer
"stereo options"? I don't think there were really any but maybe there were ? What's in my hse is more than enough for my needs. It could be I suppose that HSE got an upgraded stereo over the SE but if an SE were ordered with nav, 3rd row, cold pkg, I bet it would have the Harmon Kardon too.

I'd also be surprised if there was such a thing as 7 seat without nav. Maybe though. I wouldn't worry too much about what it has that you don't want as I would being sure you find what things you DO want. The price on older lr3's isn't really going to be much different based on those items. It's going to be more about the year and mileage.

In a D1, a locker could honestly help you out a LOT, same goes for D2, but in lr3/4, it's a very rare situation that matters "much" and even then, it becomes more about how easy or hard a spot was than yes/no. In my D1 there would definitely be situations that without a locker, which I did not have, meant "get out the shovel (solo) or radio your buddy with the winch (not solo).

The lr3 has some very incredible systems that almost negate lockers. I'd put a lot more weight on the vehicle condition, price, the stuff you'll actually look at, touch, smell, and use every day before holding out for a HD.

Ray_G

Explorer
My understanding of the basic stereo options were:
-Base model (non Harmon Kardon)
-HK (base HK, has amp, speakers, etc-but doesn't come with BT, iPod integration, etc-this is what my SE has)
-HSE HK (HK stereo with all the bell's & whistles).

This may be a simplification, i.e. some trucks may have BT but no iPod, or have Nav but lack those things, etc.

I also have a 7 seater...without Nav.

In my search I didn't worry too much about BT, iPod, or Nav. In retrospect I hate the aux connection on the truck but have offset that with an aftermarket iPod setup (will be documented soon in my build thread). Same/same with BT, just added it on for the rare occasions I want to talk to someone while driving (I don't stream music, prefer my iPod classic). I was, and am, ambivalent about LR Nav-my Garmin works great in that position and can get pulled out to move to my D1 and such.

For HSL, out in Oregon I would suggest just some good tires and see how she does for how you want to use her. Side by side compared I did VOT in my D1 and my partner had his LR3 (HD package). My truck had a TT in the back. We pulled cable just slightly more for him but I had better tires and he was still learning the truck's capabilities, all told I think it is a phenomenal vehicle and that's why I ended up getting mine.

Good luck on that hunt!
r
Ray

NickH

Observer
I bought the truck you are looking for, but with Nav before I came back to the states. I was looking nationwide for trucks with the HD package and they are very hard to find. I would like to add that in order the engage the rear locker, you have to be in the mode and the truck has to be on a incline. Basically, the truck has to sense the need for the locker. It's not like you can engage it whenever your little heart desires. Also, the Nav package does more than just Nav. There is also the off-road dashboard that shows your vehicle specs and such. Oh yeah, 2 modes of Nav is on and off-road, I'm not a big fan of LR Nav, my cell is better, but I am going to try the off-road Nav GPS coordinates. That being said, I have not been able to use the rear locker yet, but winter is coming...

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The HSE has the best sound system, extra speakers in the rear pillars, extra power. I bought a 2007 and had all the software updated so I had BT now with the factory stereo.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Just for some more info, I have an MY13 LR4 with HD. I assume its similar to how the LR3 e-diff works. It does activate more than just on a hill. Where I see it turn on the most often is grass/gravel/snow mode in the winters in Iowa, even on flat concrete roads. Pulling away from a stop I see the center and rear diffs engage between 1/3 and 2/3 (it has a 3 level indicator ring around the diff to show how much its engaging the clutches in the e-diff)

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have an MY13 LR4 with HD. I assume its similar to how the LR3 e-diff works.

Not sure what you mean by "similar". Both are "E-diff" and both are called HD package and function the same way. The LR4 and other newer vehicles do have the cool graphics though. The lr3 screen basically just shows on/off.

A.J.M

Explorer
The terrain response got an overhaul for the 4.
My friend has a 12 D4 with the rear locker, his terrain response shows the centre and rear diffs locking in stages of 1/3 2/3 3/3. My early 04/05 has the centre diff showing as locked or unlocked. 0/1 or 1/1.

The 4 was great on a recent off road trip, it kept switching the lockers on/off in stages when it felt it needed it and had both fully locked before pulling away on a few occasions.

I have no rear locker sadly. It's also a VERY rare item to have on a UK car.

For sound system, my UK HSE has the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 fitted. 13 speakers with built in subwoofer, that is the top spec sound system for the 3. It doesn't have BT, the cubby fridge.
It does have nav, heated front and middle seats, 3 sun roofs, auto adaptive bi xenons and rain sensing wipers.

HSL

Found that the SE has HK 9 speaker system and the HSE has HK Logic 7 with 13 speakers

HSL

Ok well now I'm moving interest to the LR4. I've had some luck with finding examples with the HD package and they check all the boxes except for no nav (obviously) and the prices are only 8-12k more than an LR3 with similar (higher) mileage.

I understand the LR3 is more utilitarian and the LR4 is more "cushy" ... Any reliability problems coming from the LR4 camp? I've heard 2005 is a not so good year for LR3s, is it the same case with 2010 LR4s?

I've not completely jumped ship as I actually prefer the LR3. Just thinking about options

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles