AEV Prospector first drive

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm not surprised at the cost of AEV equipment. The way they make their bumpers is way beyond the level of normal 'cut and weld' aftermarket stuff in design (looks OEM) as well as build. Forming all those nice curves and large radius edges costs money. That's not to diminish the work of other aftermarket companies products, it's just to point out that AEV invests a lot of dough up front to get a product out the door. All of their stuff looks OEM and that's the hardest thing to pull off for an aftermarket company. Whether you want to spend your money on it is irrelevant.

I will say that I do not care one little bit about stickers and embroidery and would not want to pay one penny extra for any of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRadio

One small thing that may need to be considered for the DIY crowd is that the suspension kit is built to recenter the axle. I got a chance to talk with these guys at SEMA and he mentioned that they have to extend the front driveshaft. Don't quote me on this but I think he said it was as much as 3 inches.

Side note they said the bumper and flares should be available for the 4-link Rams of the same generation very soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John E Davies

Adventurer
4ba30c749d2502a285f1aca6125951a2x.jpg

5078b06f66a0718b42aa205caad1fcdfx.jpg

622f7c97602d115978304706806527c9x.jpg

More pics and prices here .... This is a 3500 which so far seems to be a rare model.

http://www.bartonjeep.net/new/Ram/2016-Ram-3500-d5523d580a0a00de2156c8ac16a71c12.htm

The spare tire location is certainly a problem. No way I could slide a large camper into the bed, and I couldn't mount the spare on a bumper mount for the same reason. It would have to go up front and that would block the winch and hinder airflow through the cooling system.

Plus, a single swipe with a sharp knife and somebody walks away with your wheel and tire. I think that bed mount is a joke.

I just can't see these 37s working for me.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
The problem with the 37" spare is not just an AEV Vehicle issue. Anything over a 34" tire and it's not going in the factory spare tire location. There is supposedly a rear bumper in the works from AEV that will incorporate the spare, but I'm guessing it's a ways out, especially after what we saw from AEV at SEMA this year.

Clutch

<---Pass
Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh? My local Ram dealer (Barton) is an AEV dealer and they have one on order. I would love to test drive one. I've spent time crawling around several AEV Wranglers, and the engineering and build quality is stellar.

http://www.bartonjeep.net/new/Ram/2016-Ram-3500-d5523d580a0a00de2156c8ac16a71c12.htm

I wish they would offer their parts for the Gen 3 trucks, I really don't want to give up my 2006 Cummins for the emissions headaches of the new ones, but this truck might convince me. They even have a 5 inch snorkel with pre filter available!

Add a truck camper and it would be a hell of an expedition rig. Exceptionally cool looking also;)

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

They usually have a couple few at Dennis Dillon here in the Boise area, Idaho. Caldwell to be exact.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-7c45dddc0a0a000277c4308b816d41d4.htm

Clutch

<---Pass
I drove 600 miles to buy my Power Wagon from Dennis Dillon. Good people. They seem to have the best AEV prices I've seen. If I was in the market again, I'd give them a close look.

From what I read from others they have the best prices in the US, even on their stock vehicles.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I drove 600 miles to buy my Power Wagon from Dennis Dillon. Good people. They seem to have the best AEV prices I've seen. If I was in the market again, I'd give them a close look.

Dillon offered me a real good price in '06 on an ordered truck. Very nice sales manager there.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Seriously is right. I don't even think their suspension has any value? $1900 for a level kit? for that price you could get carli coils, and fox shocks. I think this AEV stuff is not even in the ball park? The stock coils on the RAM trucks are STIFF!

Spoken like a normal "lift kit" buyer. You, my friend, are NOT the target customer for AEV. (Don't take it personally, I'm not either, and I know several of the guys at AEV personally...)

AEV's suspension systems are not "Lift Kits", nor are they "Leveling Kits". They are full re-designs of the factory suspension, with many improvements made for ride quality, durability, alignment, tire clearance, etc. Where spring rates are wrong, they are corrected, where geometry is bad from the factory, and it often IS, they correct it. They do ride and handling tuning FAR in excess of what any other "lift kit" company does. Their products have been copied over and over, and that alone should speak volumes about the quality of the work that goes into their systems. And their target customers are willing to pay for that work.

As for the Prospector, I love the front bumper! The suspension re-design on the 2500 (Rear coils) is worthwhile, even though the lift amount is not a lot. (3500 has rear leafs I believe, so not as much done there...) On the front, moving the tire forward (~1.5" I think) is critically important to running large tires with minimal lift. I've ridden in two of the trucks used for design work and they ride really nice. The factory coils are not too stiff, the factory shock tuning just sucks.

I hope this takes off for AEV and they move on to some goodies for Ford and GM trucks, but I'm not holding my breath... With trucks costing more and more, I think we'll see more people wanting to roll things like this into their payment plans. The per month cost of an $1800 dealer installed and warranted lift is $30 for a typical 60mo truck loan, and that's all most people look at these days...

nick325i

Adventurer
Has anyone had some direct experience with the AEV lift? It looks like the most complete kit for the money.

I'm torn between that and spending a little more for a Carli system. I'm just worries that the Carli spring rates are more meant for a diesel and I have the 6.4 gas.

The biggest thing for me is proper geometry and improving the ride quality.

MarAgt

Observer
I have a '15 AEV Prospector that has their lift. While I cannot say how the Carli or Thuren kits drive on these trucks, I can say this is the best riding and handling lifted truck I've ever driven. I did some research and found that AEV's Ram products are pretty new for '15. They were only a concept in '14 (I believe). They are designed to improve the ride, accommodate the 37" tires without a monster lift and maintain the stock load carrying and towing capacities.

All the published reviews I could find were excellent. The actually owner reviews I could find were very positive too. The only negative reviews I found were non-owners who speculate on how they think the AEV products will perform based on what they think they see. Are they right? Time will tell. But for now, I'm exceptionally happy with mine. While I don't live out west where I can run Moab or the Rubicon with it; I do live in rural SC where I take it off road regularly to hunt, fish, haul ATV's, etc.

I've read through all of the posts and hear all the complaints. Mine came with a whole lot more than what y'all listed:

I also got 4:10 gears
5 AEV wheels and 37" BFG's
Warn 16.5ti winch
AEV leather package
LED lights in and above the bumper
and I'm probably leaving out some other small items.

It was also all installed and it retains all of the factory and AEV warranties since I bought it directly through a Ram dealership. To me, there is a lot of value in that, since I kept my last diesel 8 years.

I'm not going to say that equivalent or better parts cannot be purchased for the same or less money. I will say that if someone is not inclined to do all of the labor themselves and would pay someone for labor to do all of the additions, I suspect the end prices would not be substantially different. I learned this from my Harley. For all the work I had done on m 2009 Road Glide, I could have just purchased a Screaming Eagle Road Glide once and been done with it.

My one last comment; if an AEV Prospector is an option for you, I don't think you will be disappointed at all in the option.

Good Luck with whatever y'all drive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452874777.432595.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452874790.656223.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452874814.818761.jpg

kmcoop7

Observer
Spoken like a normal "lift kit" buyer. You, my friend, are NOT the target customer for AEV. (Don't take it personally, I'm not either, and I know several of the guys at AEV personally...)

AEV's suspension systems are not "Lift Kits", nor are they "Leveling Kits". They are full re-designs of the factory suspension, with many improvements made for ride quality, durability, alignment, tire clearance, etc. Where spring rates are wrong, they are corrected, where geometry is bad from the factory, and it often IS, they correct it. They do ride and handling tuning FAR in excess of what any other "lift kit" company does. Their products have been copied over and over, and that alone should speak volumes about the quality of the work that goes into their systems. And their target customers are willing to pay for that work.

As for the Prospector, I love the front bumper! The suspension re-design on the 2500 (Rear coils) is worthwhile, even though the lift amount is not a lot. (3500 has rear leafs I believe, so not as much done there...) On the front, moving the tire forward (~1.5" I think) is critically important to running large tires with minimal lift. I've ridden in two of the trucks used for design work and they ride really nice. The factory coils are not too stiff, the factory shock tuning just sucks.

I hope this takes off for AEV and they move on to some goodies for Ford and GM trucks, but I'm not holding my breath... With trucks costing more and more, I think we'll see more people wanting to roll things like this into their payment plans. The per month cost of an $1800 dealer installed and warranted lift is $30 for a typical 60mo truck loan, and that's all most people look at these days...

I take nothing personally. Just putting my opinions out there like the rest of us!

I am pretty sure I am exactly AEV's target customer. I own 3 ram trucks, which are used for work, hauling trailers and equipment, as well as pleasure hauling the family and pushed off road as hard as anyone drives a crew cab long bed Ram with a Cummins on hard trails all over the west. I typically invest about $5-7k into the upgrades of my trucks suspension. I typically put the "best" products on all of my stuff. I have fabricated my own "lift kits" including radius arms ect for my more dedicated trail rigs so I am a reasonably well educated consumer.

I respect the engineering, work and quality AEV puts into their products. I own their wheels and bumper for my Ram, and will probably purchase several other of their products in the future. I just think they really missed the mark on their Ram "lift kit". Yes it is a "lift kit", saying it is a "re-engineered suspension" is a stretch at best. They couldn't even figure out what the right spring rates should be, so they kept the factory ones.

I can say from experience that a Thuren or Carli kit drastically improves the off road ride and ability (increased articulation) of a Ram truck. I can also say with confidence that stock springs and Bilsteins are a marginal improvement in the ride of these trucks and the truck has very limited articulation/travel when used off road due to the stiffness of the stock springs. Also, Bilstien 5100's will NOT hold up to hard off road use in a diesel ram. I have destroyed 3 sets of 5100's in 30,000 miles. The rubber bushings are broken, and the seals destroyed from heat cycling. I have my bumpstops properly adjusted so as not to damage the shocks and carefully selected the bilsetins for length/travel of my truck.

There is only so much ride improvement you are ever going to get out of the high rate springs a Ram comes with from the factory by simply controlling them with a better shock. These trucks are stiff, and designed to carry loads. If you are upgrading your suspension to perform better off road you typically do so knowing that you are making a compromise in the trucks "factory" loading capabilities. Not making a half rear-ended attempt to improve the off road ability and retain factory load capacity, which goes out the window anyway when you lift the truck as you change critical design parameters like roll center, and center of gravity. In doing my own analysis of AEV's marketing of their system, I just think it tries to give you two things it can't give you the way it is designed.

As for the Prospector.....lets crunch numbers
Base price: $13,925
Bumper: -$2,300
Lift: -$1,900
Wheels -$880
Tires: -$1,500
Install of above -$1,000 (not sure if this is actually included or not, figured I would give one in AEV's favor)
Warn 16.5 -$1,700

That $4,600 gets you:
- AEV windshield banner
- aev hood decal
- aev prospector badges
- aev cluster badge
- fender flares (these are probably worth a bit, but only offer asthetic improvement so I lumped them here)
- aev logo head rests
- aev build plaque
- aev warranty

I try to be smart with my $ and that seems like the most expensive sticker kit I have ever seen. I also speak from experience here as my kids have thousands of stickers in the art drawer at our house.

My summary: if you want to retain factory load carrying capability and spring rates and improve the on road and mild dirt road ride of your truck spend $350 on a set of bilstiens and you will essentially have what AEV is trying to sell you. You can also remove the front sway bar on a 3500 which helps with the ride a bit (not recommended). If you want your truck to look nice with tires and a lift, get a Ready lift, Super lift, Pro Comp, or BDS. If you want your truck to ride well on road, off road, improve off road capability and are ok with compromising the factory load capabilities of your truck, your money is best spent with Carli or Thuren for a Ram or HD Ford.

Last edited:

kmcoop7

Observer
dis

I should say I am not trying to disrespect any of you riding around in those prospectors! They look spectacular, and I am sure they work well for the purpose that you bought them for. Just spewing my opinions hoping to share some of my knowledge and experience to help others make decisions on how to spend their money on their trucks.

Enjoy whatever you are riding around in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier