Vehicle suggestions......

Uncle D

Hello everyone...I've been lurking around the site for some time now. I've attended two of the expo's here in AZ and absolutely get extremely excited about the near future possibilities. I've been taking my time looking at all options but I think I've decided on purchasing a truck with either an XP or FWC. I'm planning on using the truck as a daily driver, however, my commute isn't far at all. Most days it'll sit at home as I cycle to work. So, my question to everyone with infinite wisdom about overlanding and creating capable rigs. Would I be better off buying a new 4 door toyota trd (~35k with 10k miles) or purchasing a full-size mega cab diesel (2006/2007 run roughly 35k to 40k with low miles)? I plan on initially taking trips lasting a week or two. In the next five years, I'd like to take a sabbatical and take a year off, possibly longer. I'm planning on flat bedding the camper to get the extra floor space. The initial route I'm considering would start somewhere up in Alaska and end down in Patagonia.

Looking forward to any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
What kind of traveling do you plan on doing? All on the road or do you plan on dirt/gravel roads or some real off roading? Are you set on late model rigs only, or are you open to an older rig, which have their own benefits over newer rigs. How capable are you at maintaining a rig? Do you plan on modifying anything yourself or have a shop do it?

Uncle D

Probably 75% of the traveling would be on the open road. I'd like the opportunity to get off the path for some remote camping during the longer trips. So, some off roading capability is necessary but its not the main focus. What kind of older rig are you referring to?? I'm a handy guy and will do most upgrades myself. I also have a good friend of mine that has an auto shop for mods outside my ability. There's going to be two of us and a dog. Like I said before, I've considered the XP, FWC, and possibly the Flippac. I saw a real nice build this Spring in the back of a tacoma with a flippac. I've got plenty of time for this so I'd really like to get it right the first time. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 9101

If the cost is the same:3/4 or 1 ton, but with a gas engine. Diesels are expensive to buy, maintain, and fuel. Modern gas engines have plenty of power and are damn near indestructible.

Uncle D

I know the diesels cost a little more to maintain. I've had a few of them over the years. The fuel mileage on a 5.9 Cummins is fairly impressive. Not to mention they're run 300K or better on mileage. Might actually be cheaper in the long run....but I'm not certain of that.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
In my experience, vehicles made between 1987 and 1997 tend to be the best combination of durability, simplicity and technological advancement. Specifically, F-series pickups. They're work horses that are VERY hard to kill. And these days, they can be had for cheap. A 4WD F150 from that era will do what you need for a lot less than a newer rig. The gas mileage will be about the same too. Despite what auto dealers like to say, fuel efficiency hasn't improved a whole lot in the last 20 years. You're still trying to move X amount of mass, Y amount of distance in Z amount of time.

The real benefit to buying older is that you can start from scratch and build it EXACTLY how you want it. Diesel or gas, you can throw in whatever engine you prefer, with whatever suspension setup you prefer with whatever comforts and accessories you prefer. The other benefit to buying old is that its already been through a lot and is still here, so you know its proven tough with all the bugs worked out of it. Some wear and tear items will need replaced, but that's simply seen as an opportunity to get to know your rig, a vital part of any overlanding adventure I believe.

Speaking of comforts, since you'll be living in your rig, I recommend an auxiliary "house" battery setup for things like interior lights and personal electronics.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Since F150 of the earlier vintage are mentioned, if I were looking for a full-sized rig, I'd try to find a '96 or earlier F150 with the 4.9 inline 6 and manual trans and no dual-tanks (they always seem to have a pump go bad). That engine sounds practically immortal--very overbuilt, with timing gears... It was also available in F-250s.

There are lots of different ways to go. I wouldn't limit yourself to anything yet and just go do some looking around and test-driving. There are lots of truck options and camper options. Many different brands and types of campers have been built over the years. See what's for sale where you live and go crawl around in them, imagining you're doing what you want to do. Something will grab you.

Uncle D

Great feedback. I hadn't really thought of buying something older and just going through it....motor, suspension, etc. That would make good sense. I've had some Ford trucks in the past and I know they're practically indestructible. Its a little harder to find aftermarket parts for them than the new stuff. I've got a new wife that's still warming up to the idea of taking an extended sabbatical. That being said, I'll really need to think some of the creature comforts all the way through. I got rid of a 96 f350 crew cab long box with a 7.3 in it just a year ago. It only had 79k miles on it. I thought it would be too big. Hind sight is an awful thing......

Over the past two years I've crawled around in the fwc and the xp. Both awesome set ups. I think either one of those would work just fine. Fords inline 6 would be a good set up. Good power and decent fuel mileage. Great suggestion.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, as far as creature comforts and accessories, a junkyard is your best bet. There are some places that make the larger accessories, like custom bumpers, still around, but a junkyard can have everything you need.

And I6 coupled with a 5 speed would be ideal, but I'm not sure if that combo was ever sold in a crew cab model. Otherwise, I would have suggested it earlier. But they are as close to indestructible as I've ever seen. And don't let anybody tell you the TTB front suspension is garbage when its really one of the toughest IFS systems out there. Its also comparable to modern systems as far as ride quality goes.

Creature comforts: Does your wife want a heated seat with massage options and power adjustments? Grab one of those out of a junked car and drop it in the truck. I know a lot of guys do that. A welder and some wiring and she can't complain. Wiring in a second battery with 120V inverter will give you all the power for personal electronics you'll need as well.

Just look around here. The old body style F series makes an ideal expo rig. The ladder frame lends itself well to durability and flexibility. Its basically a lego rig. 90% of repair and upgrade parts are bolt off, bolt on.

D

Deleted member 9101

I know the diesels cost a little more to maintain. I've had a few of them over the years. The fuel mileage on a 5.9 Cummins is fairly impressive. Not to mention they're run 300K or better on mileage. Might actually be cheaper in the long run....but I'm not certain of that.

I can only speak in regards to work trucks, but a company that I use to work for figured that it would take 250,000+ miles for the extra cost of a diesel to pay off over the cost of a gas motor (we did this in 2008). That was fuel and maintenance only, not repairs. An injection pump or turbo failure can cost more than an entire gas motor.

I have a little over 200k on the 4.7 in my Tundra and it runs great. I have got even higher miles out of a 4.6 in a F-150 and a 6.0 in a Chevy. Modern gas engines have no trouble lasting longer than you will ever own a vehicle.

Years ago I had a 1990 F-150 2wd-short bed, regular cab, with the 300 straight six and a 5 speed. Damn good truck and IIRC it got around 24 MPH doing 65 with the tailgate down. It pulled a 18' ski boat pretty easily and hauled all kinds of stuff. Not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination and the interior left much to be desired, but it was a damn good truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles