4m50 engine sputters

boostin

Adventurer
Hello

I have a 06 fuso fe. The truck seems low power and high fuel consumption. Truck has all basic maintenance, valve adjust and fresh injectors and filters.

I have noticed when in neutral when you rev up the engine it sputters and builds no boost till about 2000 rpm then it gets boost and revs smooth.

Any ideas¿

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised it builds any boost at all in neutral. It's very hard to get any turbo boost without a load. Do you have a boost gauge? Have you checked to see if the turbo is spinning freely and the air filter is clean? Is the fuel pump operating correctly?

boostin

Adventurer
Yes, I have a boost gauge, filters are new.

According to the factory neutral should build about ten pounds in neutral.

Being a common rail should set a check engine light if it had high or low rail pressure so I assume the pump is working.

It sputters like it's running to rich, like a carb gas engine with the choke stuck on

dlh62c

Explorer
.....Truck has all basic maintenance, valve adjust and fresh injectors and filters.

Could the fuel system be sucking in air somewhere?

If a bubble of air comes up to the injection pump, it will try to inject it into a cylinder, thus causing a sputter. The smallest of air leaks can cause the system to lose its prime while sitting.

Do you have difficulty starting the truck after it sits for awhile?

Last edited:

boostin

Adventurer
Long story short I changed the fuel fleet again and solved the sputter. Only had maybe 2000 km in it but I guess the old tank and fuel pipes where rusty cause the new tank I installed is shiny clean.

Guess I better keep a eye in this but might explain the lack of power and terrible mpg I was getting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior