3rd Gen 22re Pickup. TAT and TET slow budget build.

Thoryota

Observer
Man that sucks. Gives a good reason to upgrade though. ��

It does suck big time. That thing has been hanging on the back of my truck for a few years now. Have pulled many a 3/4ton Ford out with it. Never failed. If that didn't work out comes the winch. I always look for a reason to upgrade stuff so this is it for that part. Sucks it took funds out of the lift kit savings but I can wait a while still before I lift it. Need to get a pair of 32x11.50 Kenda's for the back of the truck being that I have one that is slick and the other is getting there. I can daily the truck still with the 32's. I changed my mind on 33x12.50's and got my eye on the 33x13.50x15 Super Swamper LTB. Its a evil looking Bias Ply tire that will probably break everything under the truck. But you only live once so why not. I can't really daily on them so I will keep the 32's to daily and play with the Super Swampers. Or be a man and daily them and watch money disappear down the road.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
It does suck big time. That thing has been hanging on the back of my truck for a few years now. Have pulled many a 3/4ton Ford out with it. Never failed. If that didn't work out comes the winch. I always look for a reason to upgrade stuff so this is it for that part. Sucks it took funds out of the lift kit savings but I can wait a while still before I lift it. Need to get a pair of 32x11.50 Kenda's for the back of the truck being that I have one that is slick and the other is getting there. I can daily the truck still with the 32's. I changed my mind on 33x12.50's and got my eye on the 33x13.50x15 Super Swamper LTB. Its a evil looking Bias Ply tire that will probably break everything under the truck. But you only live once so why not. I can't really daily on them so I will keep the 32's to daily and play with the Super Swampers. Or be a man and daily them and watch money disappear down the road.

lol, thats great! The SS tires would be a blast. I rolled some out in front of my truck a while back to see what they would look like on. It looked pretty cool. My big thing for tires up here though is snow and ice so I decided to continue on with the BFG AT's. Never had an issue with them and so the last four sets of tires I've purchased for trucks have been them.

Thoryota

Observer
lol, thats great! The SS tires would be a blast. I rolled some out in front of my truck a while back to see what they would look like on. It looked pretty cool. My big thing for tires up here though is snow and ice so I decided to continue on with the BFG AT's. Never had an issue with them and so the last four sets of tires I've purchased for trucks have been them.

We only get snow maybe twice a year if that. And when we get it everything shuts down. I mean everything. Bread and milk gone. Not sure what people do with milk sammich's but thats what we do down here. But the beer shelve will be full. Doesn't make since to me.

Any how I got my tire guy to price me two more Kenda's for the back of my truck. Think it came out to 340$ for two mounted and balanced, tax and all that good stuff. So I will be get them in the next few weeks. But while I was there I had him look up some prices for me on the Super Swampers. He could not find any on his websites but has got them before. But he can get me the Nitto Mud Grappler in 33x13.50x15 for 214$ a tire. That is almost 60 dollars less than 4 wheel parts. They will handle road use a lot better since they are radials and the price is better. This is a hard choice.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Your truck is coming along great! I have enjoyed reading the build.
Just a question of curiosity, why go with a 13.50 inch wide tire? The extra width and weight will put a lot more strain on your front end, and especially your steering components. But what do I know, I'm running 35's on a basically stock ifs front end 😳!
I will say though, that bigger tires will definitely eat up idler arms! I upgraded mine originally with a Blazeland brace and it worked well to keep it from breaking but the arm itself still wore out within a year of trail riding on 33x10.50s. I bit the bullet and bought the Total Chaos idler arm and couldn't be happier. Two years with a year of it on 35's and it it still as good as new.
Just trying to offer up some advice on something that will break and could leave you stranded. Hope you don't mind.

Thoryota

Observer
Your truck is coming along great! I have enjoyed reading the build.
Just a question of curiosity, why go with a 13.50 inch wide tire? The extra width and weight will put a lot more strain on your front end, and especially your steering components. But what do I know, I'm running 35's on a basically stock ifs front end ��!
I will say though, that bigger tires will definitely eat up idler arms! I upgraded mine originally with a Blazeland brace and it worked well to keep it from breaking but the arm itself still wore out within a year of trail riding on 33x10.50s. I bit the bullet and bought the Total Chaos idler arm and couldn't be happier. Two years with a year of it on 35's and it it still as good as new.
Just trying to offer up some advice on something that will break and could leave you stranded. Hope you don't mind.

The main reason I want a 13.50 tire is just simply because I have always wanted a set. This will most likely be a one time purchase and when they wear out I will got down to a 12.50 or back to an 11.50 like I have now. When I eventually SAS the truck I might stay at a 12.50 not really sure yet.

As for the idler arm I a have destroyed one already back when I was on 31x10.50's with 6'' wide wheels. Not much of a load but I did break one and a tie rod end. I replaced it with the Autozone FA5040. It does work but next time I break one I will be getting the Total Chaos idler arm. I wanted one then but didn't have the extra cash for it. I am sure once I lift it the little bit I will lift it. I will kill another one. Expecting it to happen honestly.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Right on! Look forward to seeing some fatty tires on our generation truck, as I've never seen what it looks like before. Keep the build coming. We all learn from each other!

Thoryota

Observer
Right on! Look forward to seeing some fatty tires on our generation truck, as I've never seen what it looks like before. Keep the build coming. We all learn from each other!

There is a guy on Toyotaholics on Facebook that has a 89 on 14.50's with a 14 wide wheel. Looks killer. Not exactly my style but man it looks sweet. Mine will not stick out that far due to the fact the tires are going on my 8'' wide Soft 8's. Feel safer airing down with a narrower wheel. This might be the only non real function thing I will do to this truck. Everything else that I have done serves a purpose and this is just for looks. Not like I break enough necks when I am in town.

Thoryota

Observer
Well after a long two weeks of impatient waiting, my Factor 55 Hitchlink 2.0 came in the mail. I chose the Factor 55 to replace my stolen Warn receiver shackle. Any how the fit and finish on this thing is amazing. Doesn't have to be for its purpose but it is a very nice touch. Being that it is billet aluminum it doesn't weigh hardly anything. The Warn receiver shackle must weigh 3 times what this does. One thing I do like about the hitchlink is the fact that it has two mounting holes. But due to the way my Trail-Gear bumper is made I have to use the first hole towards the end of the mount. The warn had the mounting hole in the same location so it doesn't bother me any. Anyhow since y'all like pictures here is some pictures.

Attachments

• yota factor 55.jpg
    yota factor 55.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 13
  • yota factor 55 2.jpg
    yota factor 55 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 14

Thoryota

Observer
Went out and blew some cash today. Ordered another set of 32x11.50x15 Kenda Klever KR29's a few weeks ago and they came in last week. Any how took a few hours off of work and got em mounted. The reasoning behind getting another set of the same tire is this. I had two that were slick so I ordered two. Well I had no idea that a full set was ordered. So when I saw the full set in my tire shop I said well might as well do it right and get all four. Any how in a few months (4-6) I will be selling these to a coworker for his 88 Toyota. Since I am going up to a 33x12.50 or a 33x13.50 when I do my lift these will be going. He needs them more than I do so I will sell them to him for cheap. I will lose money on the deal but I like Miguel, and I like his Toyota. So anyhow here is some pictures since we all like pictures.

Attachments

• yota new tires.jpg
    yota new tires.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
  • yota new tires 2.jpg
    yota new tires 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13

Thoryota

Observer
Since we are a visually oriented group here, I washed the truck and got a bad driveway shot today while it was nice. I need to remember to take pictures when I do use this truck like it was meant to.

Attachments

• yota new tires 3.jpg
    yota new tires 3.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 20

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Man, reading through this thread is bringing back memories!

My first 4x4 was a '94 regular cab Toyota Pickup; manual everything and absolutely perfect that way. Mine was green and had the 3.slow, but had exactly the same cheesy side graphics and '90s roll bar that yours does.

It's still my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and good luck with the build!

Thoryota

Observer
Man, reading through this thread is bringing back memories!

My first 4x4 was a '94 regular cab Toyota Pickup; manual everything and absolutely perfect that way. Mine was green and had the 3.slow, but had exactly the same cheesy side graphics and '90s roll bar that yours does.

It's still my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and good luck with the build!

Thank you Gatordoc. There is a guy in the area that has the same exact truck you had but with a 22re and no roll bar. Same color, same cheesy side graphics which I love. Its a beautiful truck. If I ever get around to doing the body work and rust removal on this thing I am going to put the same cheesy side graphics back on it. These trucks just don't look right with out them.

Thoryota

Observer
Well I figured I better post an update since I haven't done one in a while. Been working a lot of overtime the last few weeks so instead of spending the extra money on something smart like a lift kit or something useful I bought another Yota. Anyhow I found a rust free 91 single cab short bed 4x4 with a 22re and a 5spd. Its the exact twin to my truck color and all. But unlike my truck this one needs a bunch of work but the price was right. $1000 dollars for a Yota around here that is decent is unheard of. But the is a catch to all this good however. The 22re might be stuck and I know it has a freeze plug out. But I can rebuild the thing if the block is still good.

Now for the good. It has a mostly complete interior and no rust. New radiator, new plugs and wires and came with a box of 12ga shells. So if I get mad at it I can shoot it. So anyhow I bought it last night (sunday) and drug it home. I didn't feel like going back to the farm and getting a trailer so my buddy with no drivers licence and drunk (also just out of jail for driving drunk with no licence) offered to steer and run the brakes while I flat towed it. Didn't have but 10 miles to go so what the hell it happened. But it has really good and new brakes so I got lucky there. Any how here is the pictures of the new project. I just have to figure out what direction to go in with it now.

Attachments

• yota 1991.jpg
    yota 1991.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 6
  • yota 1991#2.jpg
    yota 1991#2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 6
  • yota 1991#3.jpg
    yota 1991#3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads