Leaf sprung kingpin and wash board rippled roads? E350 van

rebar

Adventurer
Now that I'm sure my rebuilt 6bt motor is capable of towing 15k combined as expected, I'm preparing to install my D60 king pin front axle and 4x4 NV4500 on my 1995 E350 cummins van.

Towing Video with 25 mph head winds

I'm starting to second guess my leaf spring suspension choice after visiting colorado a few weeks ago. Yes, I need 4x4, and clearance to travel far up the fire roads to remote camp sites. But the majority of the dirt/rock roads in colorado are badly wash boarded ripples. Maybe 8" peak to peak, and 2" deep. I didn't decrease air pressure as my compressor is marginal, but the ripples really beat me up and almost spun me out on a corner once..

I'm still running the stock 2wd and coil springs up front presently. But when I install the king pin axle with leaf springs, will the ripples be worse even if I install Bilstein 7100 shocks and 34" tires? I'm wondering if I should look into what it takes to install coils with my old kingpin front axle.

Thanks!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Not much you can do on washboard other than going faster; which is usually too fast. Position sensitive shocks will help.

rebar

Adventurer
Not much you can do on washboard other than going faster; which is usually too fast. Position sensitive shocks will help.

I think I'm going to find a 05-07 F250 F350 for the coil spring super 60 and sell the kingpin. Brady at sportsman 4x4 told me the only custom parts needed was a track bar.. And they move the axle forward 1.5" with stock coil perch's. Sounds easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94