I need an entry level AR 15 education

FJOE

Regular Dude
the cheap GI mags are just that, cheap, don't waste your time.
]

A lot of hard dudes put bad guys in the ground for good with those cheap mags. Remember that those mags were never designed to be reused. They were thin metal and cheap to make because they were designed to be used, discarded, and replaced. They are cheap on the surplus market. Buy them by the ton and replace the springs with chrome silicon, and the followers with Magpul self leveling, and shoot all day. I can't count the number of times I've over inserted a PMag, but I've never overinserted a USGI one.

robert

Expedition Leader
A lot of hard dudes put bad guys in the ground for good with those cheap mags. Remember that those mags were never designed to be reused. They were thin metal and cheap to make because they were designed to be used, discarded, and replaced. They are cheap on the surplus market. Buy them by the ton and replace the springs with chrome silicon, and the followers with Magpul self leveling, and shoot all day. I can't count the number of times I've over inserted a PMag, but I've never overinserted a USGI one.

Yep, I love some GI surplus, especially the Colt 20rnd mags.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Quick question: 1/8 twist vs. 1/9 twist. Which is better (or when would one be better than the other)?

Looks like I'm reviving another dying thread, but I'm considering an AR platform rifle.

Twist requirements depend a lot on the length of the barrel and how heavy a bullet you plan on shooting. 1/9 is generally a little slow for some of the heavier cartridges out of the shorter barrels, 1/7 is a bit too fast for some of the lighter ones.

I've settled on 1/8, and have run that twist out of barrels ranging from 10.5 to 14.5 out to about 600m with 62gr green tip effectively. It will also stabilize 55 and 77 very well.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Been shopping ARs for a couple months. My budget is an entry level gun. Looked at DPMS, Del-ton, Ruger all in person, and reviews on Smith & Wesson H&P Sport. Best I can tell, these rifles in this range seem to be pretty much the same. The forums I have looked at are so full of flamers on why this gun is a piece of crap or that gun is. And I have found that each one has its own favorite to whatever particular brand and EVERYTHING else is a POS. Looking for real world experience with the guns listed. Yes, I know everyone says for a little more money you can get this or that other brand or widget. Anything you buy fits that description, whether a Toyota, a Jeep, or a Rover. The guns above are in my price range, especially as I may purchase 3. One for self and each of my boys. They will be used for spending shooting time together with them and or friends. And or SHTF protection. All I want going in is iron sights. Any add ons will be way down the road. What I feel and think I have seen is that in this entry level range, one is about the same as the other. Please keep comments to your experience with these. Im leaning toward the Del-ton $495 with front sight, Ruger is $548 with front & rear sight. Not wild about the DPMS $489 with no sights. The SW in my area seems to be $625 to $699. Thanks all

IMO

What you start with is of little consequence. Pretty much everything on the market "works" now, it's just a matter of how gucci you want it to be, and how well you want it to shoot. A $500 rifle with some key accessories at a $1k in training and ammo goes alot further than a $2k rifle.

I would say get something basic to start, just make sure it's made to Mil-Spec tolerances or better. As you progress and get better, you can upgrade parts. As long as the upper and lower receivers are machined correctly, the rifle will progress with you.

By far the biggest things that make a difference in performance are the barrel and trigger. Good barrels and gas systems make a huge difference in reliability and performance, triggers make it easier to shoot consistently. I've really taken to the chromed or NPI'd bolt carrier groups for my rifles too. Makes clean up a lot easier and some of the newer ones have better gas venting schemes.

Avoid gimmicks like frog lube etc. Just run a basic high temp gun oil that manages the soot. I like lucas, rem oil, and tetra grease...but there are others.

good luck.

FJOE

Regular Dude
What you start with is of little consequence. Pretty much everything on the market "works" now, it's just a matter of how gucci you want it to be, and how well you want it to shoot. A $500 rifle with some key accessories at a $1k in training and ammo goes alot further than a $2k rifle.

Amen to that. Training, training, training.

bob.wiley.5099

Amen to that. Training, training, training.

I second or third this.

I have an m&p15 sport with some basic upgrades, but I still shoot it with the A2 front sight and magpul rear mbus because I want to be proficient with iron sights above all else. It works great and I found one for $600. Davidsons gallery of guns had the Ruger on sale recently.

My 2 recommendations for upgrades are a trigger upgrade and muzzle brake. These make it easier to be accurate and fast back on target. I used the BCM trigger for $60 and the Surefure procomp brake for $60, but there are a million options out there. So for less than $800 I have a rifle that's reliable, accurate and efficient. None of that means anything without practice and training though. Find a good instructor, take a class and shoot the thing consistently.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Thanks guys, but that's been quite a while back. I now have 3 Ruger AR 556s, 1 complete Palmetto State Armory lower with a premium upper, another PSA lower, and my favorite, a WASR AK

robert

Expedition Leader
I knew it, they don't call it black rifle disease for nothing- build one and there will be more in your future. :jumping:

4runnerteq

Explorer
My shop is selling the S&W sport 2 for 499.99 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty awesome. Ive sworn off buying anything else this year already. Althougghh a Arsenal SLR 104 AK74 or VEPR AK74 would be pretty sweet. Commie rifle disease may be worse than black rifle disease.

screwball48

Explorer
That's pretty awesome. Ive sworn off buying anything else this year already. Althougghh a Arsenal SLR 104 AK74 or VEPR AK74 would be pretty sweet. Commie rifle disease may be worse than black rifle disease.

Commie disease is very addictive.
c6300250176a52d1998965d22201f47f.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
Ugh, please lop a couple of inches off of that top rifle and add a brake or flash hider. A $200 stamp would make it much mo' beautiful. The US Palm grips are some of my favorites on the AKs though.

screwball48

Explorer
Ugh, please lop a couple of inches off of that top rifle and add a brake or flash hider. A $200 stamp would make it much mo' beautiful. The US Palm grips are some of my favorites on the AKs though.

Trust me making that one proper is on "the list".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke