Dometic Tec 30 Diesel Generator For sale

Mjolnir

Observer
Dometic Tec 30 diesel Generator For sale. Less than 180 hours, very quiet, very compact, rubber mounts and muffler included. Refer to photos for specs. 1500W step down transformer available. This generator is in gret shape Starts and runs just fine. The Location is in Prince George B.C. Canada. I removed it from my Unimog 1550L expedition camper because it was too big for my needs. We have solar panels and when they are not enough we have a small petrol generator which we still have not used. My wife and I do not use a whole lot of power and the camper does not have a large amount of electricity consuming devices.......

I am looking for 5000USD for this unit.

Best regards,

M

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,955
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,931
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,697
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,716
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,425
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,669
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,474

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The real problem is that it is 50 Hertz - the voltage can be worked out with a autotransformer to get a normal 115/230 VAC configuration.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Pretty reasonable - under $400 for one without an enclosure:

http://www.infinigi.com/outback-power-fwx240-4-kva-120240-vac-autotransformer-p-135.html?ref=99

That will give you a normal "north american" type split phase - but doesn't fix the frequency issue. If that can be adjusted up to 60 hz then you would be good to go.

You might also consider generators for Onan/Cummins - there is a QD series rated at 3200 watts that is similar to this unit that is popular in vehicle applications and is in the same ballpark as far as pricing.

Mjolnir

Observer
I have a 1500W step down transformer that I will include. As for the frequency issue if you look on the power specs for most appliances it will have an acceptable frequency range. I have spoken about this with a few other people as well, but have not been able to get an answer out of Dometic, I think you could just push up the RPM to increase the frequency. How easy this is to do I'm not sure, but since it is a mechanically governed engine I cant see it being that hard. This generator is very quiet. You can stand next to it while it is running and hold a conversation. I did plan to use it for a backup Gen set for my rural property, but my wife and I will be going travelling prior to building on that land. It seems a wast to have this thing sitting around. Please read the article below:

https://www.shiptoshoretraveler.com/pdf/electricity.pdf

This is a great article, but if you don't want to read the whole thing skip to the bottom.

M

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I think they need to go back to school. This 1st paragraph is sort of right in some cases. Series motors will run at twice the speed. Other types will actually run 20% slower. Some electronics will also have timing troubles with the frequency switch. For example I believe most of the US supplied rooftop AC units run squirrel cage compressor motors. These will run 20% slower even if you use a suitable transformer to step down the voltage.

"In North America operates on 110/125 volt Alternating Current (AC). However, the majority of the rest of the world operates on 220/250V AC, which is twice the voltage used in North America. This means that when appliances made for use in North America (110/125V) are plugged into a foreign 220/250 volt outlet, the motor goes twice as fast than it was designed to, which will damage or destroy the appliance."

Now even with these drawbacks this unit is a great option for those people who want to single source their fuel supplies. It is much more compact than the Onan units. And for someone building a RTW rig maybe this would be a good option along with wiring the whole rig to be 240V to suit the majority of the world.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Observer
I'll be home in a few days (I'm currently in Romania) I'll have another read of the engine manual, and see if the engine speed can be increased to get 60Hz.

Mjolnir

Observer
RPM can be increased, I'm not sure it is worth it as the fuel consumption will be higher as well as the noise level. I'll bump a few more times before I put it on ebay......

M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles