Add to my growing issues w/ the Sport, new clattering noise

redraif

The uphill battle begins
UPDATE

So here was my Saturday last weekend :( ...To the shop about 11am

tmp_20307-20160206_112018-1488696203.jpg

tmp_20307-20160206_111040-1-3340677.jpg

It all boiled back to this failed repair I discussed in this thread above. After I got it back from the shop, that odd clatter would happen every once in a while. Could not put my finger on a pattern and every time I was ready with the video it would not do it. I knew I would be out of the truck for a good 2 weeks if it went to the shop and I really needed it. The clatter would last 1 minute or so and be gone. I assumed it was a loose AC belt as I noticed the belt was slapping around. Got a warm day and no A/C, so I tightened up the belt and AC returned. Noise was gone. Then boom it was back.

Last Friday, it was no longer an intermittent sound and no longer went away. I suspected there is bearing damage to the tensioner or its ability to hold tension had been compromised. I feared to even drive it the 5 minutes to the shop. I rolled video on the Sport.

https://youtu.be/og5GGbFVj8k

The noise was more intense in person. It seemed to be on the passenger side quite close to the tensioner location. It was quite loud by the crank pulley which the tensioner is quite close to. At one point, it almost calmed down, the point I stepped around to the driver side. But then it came back. At the point I shut the video down, I could not bear to let it run anymore. I did notice a slight rubber smell for a brief second. I went with my gut and parked the sport. Called the shop to tell them it would be towed there Saturday, was not going to risk flinging the belt.

I then researched the noise and found it disturbingly similar to these:

the noise he gets is similar to what I'm hearing... 4:30 mark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAxiFJ2rHBE

And a Mitsu 4g63 motor timing belt tensioner that was bad...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEt0piYkfLA

Shop called yesterday to say the tensioner is bad. Heck yeah! Thank the lord! Said the tensioner was not keeping tension at all anymore. Also all the other belts were a bit loose.

He is going to check the water pump to be sure the bearing seems ok. Told him to check the cam seals to verify if that is where the dang leak is. He was supposed to clean that all out last time.

I'm decided to go ahead and save myself the $ down the road and swap the timing belt while the shop is in there? Its only 25,000-30,000 miles old, but after what it has been though, that's a lot of stress on it. The water pump is already new due to the replacement that started this mess a few 1000 miles ago. The tensioner will be new too.

Just got off the phone with the shop today.... cam and crank seals are also leaking... freaking parts store crap. Replaced them all 25,000 miles ago! grrrr.... But that would explain the quart losses every 700 miles! :) Wonder how they will figure the labor on this... I'm not paying for anything related to the tensioner! I will pay the extra to do the seals. belt should be a gimme with the seal swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles