ATT launches mobile hotspot for your vehicle

haven

Expedition Leader
ATT has a plan to turn your vehicle into a mobile hotspot. For $100 outright, or $0 with a 24 month service agreement, you can purchase the ZTE Mobley, a device that will provide WiFi to your phones and tablets as you drive. The uplink uses ATT's LTE data service. The device can be added to the Mobile Share Value plan for an additional access charge of $10 a month, or connected with a DataConnect plan with monthly charges of $20 for 1GB or $30 for 3GB.

The hotspot plugs into the OBDII port that 1996 and newer cars and trucks have under the dash. The hotspot is on when the car is running, and off when the car is shut off. If you change vehicles, it's simple to move the hotspot to the new car.

http://about.att.com/story/Vehicle_WiFi_Hotspot_Plug_In_ZTE_MOBLEY.html

Sure, you can accomplish the same thing by tethering your laptop or tablet to your smart phone. ATT is counting on the plug and play simplicity of the hotspot to attract customers.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Not sure I want to add Wifi to my ODBII/Canbus.

In addition many ODBII port placements are not conducive to having a dongle sticking out.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
ATT won't let me turn my iPhone into a hotspot unless I give up my unlimited data plan that I'm grandfathered into.

Have to agree with ATT. From their perspective an unlimited data Hotspot would potentially be an issue for infrastructure.

BBsound

Adventurer
Dont get too stuck on the unlimited data plan, the new shared plans are pretty generous with data for the price, and it allows you to use a hotspot, etc.

look at what your data usage has been average for the past year or so. finding a knowledgeable employee at an AT&T store is very valuable.

davkenrem

Observer
I'm pretty sure I don't want a 4g modem with GPS plugged into my cars computer system uploading data and location from my car. Isn't my cell phone and computer enough. This is another way to data mine for more sellable data at the least and far worse in the wrong hands...

Campndad

Essayons!!
With the unlimited data they kill your bandwidth after so a certain usage. We finally gave it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meental

Observer
This device sounds like a terrible idea, this is the same reason why new Chrysler vehicles can be hacked into and remotely controlled.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior