iPad Pro vs Surface Pro 4

fike

Adventurer
When I read the specs this morning, I was looking for two things,USB and a card reader.
The absence of these features is something I don't understand...I guess it is not looked at as a fault in Macland.

...and Apple's insistence on only allowing internal storage with no provision for a card reader is inexplicable...and please don't tell me more about adding an accessory like they have had in the past...not only are they slow, but who wants to use a tablet with a fragile plastic appendage hanging off the bottom.

(Sent from my crummy iPad mini 2)

turboale

Observer
Wow, did not know that. Guess it's a testament of how useless a neutered OS is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fike

Adventurer

Do you mean a neutered OS like IOS? Haha.

Another notable tablet that should be considered is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, 8.4 and 10.1. These android tablets have a USB port and micro SD card. The new s2 version is a minor upgrade to the Tab S series.

haven

Expedition Leader
Even though the iPad Pro was announced in early September, and reportedly has been under development for 2 years, it won't ship to customers until November. We may be able to buy the Surface Pro 4 in October. But Microsoft may delay for a bit to employ Intel's new Skylake processor. Skylake offers reduced power consumption, somewhat faster processing, and much faster graphics co-processing, compared to the Haswell processors in the Surface Pro 3.

One of the knocks on the SP3 is the need for a fan to keep the processor cool. So it's possible the SP4 will employ the Skylake Core M processor, which has lower performance, but much lower power consumption, than the Core processor in the SP3. Or Microsoft may continue to use a fan so the SP4 can run the faster, but hotter, Core processors.

Or maybe Microsoft will follow the lead of its competitor, Lenovo, which just announced they will build both Core and Core-M two-in-one devices using the new Skylake processor.

turboale

Observer
Just because negative things are said about a product doesn't mean it's bashing.

iMHO, Apple used to innovate. Now they are playing catch up. If that iPad was released a year ago it would have made sense. It says it was in development for two years and it shows. In reality it's a faster iPad with a pen. The real question is how does that help "pros"? Anyone doing photos or video are out because the sheer amounts of data required. Not to mention pro level editing software is clunky at best with touch. With a pen it's better but a mouse is still the best way to interact when making precise changes.

The fan in the surface doesn't bother me. It's not like a laptop where the hest is held directly on your insulated lap. It never turns on with day to day use. Only when I'm editing in light room. Which is asking a lot considering I can be editing hundreds of 24mp+ images at a time.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Just because negative things are said about a product doesn't mean it's bashing.

iMHO, Apple used to innovate. Now they are playing catch up. If that iPad was released a year ago it would have made sense. It says it was in development for two years and it shows. In reality it's a faster iPad with a pen. The real question is how does that help "pros"? Anyone doing photos or video are out because the sheer amounts of data required. Not to mention pro level editing software is clunky at best with touch. With a pen it's better but a mouse is still the best way to interact when making precise changes.

The fan in the surface doesn't bother me. It's not like a laptop where the hest is held directly on your insulated lap. It never turns on with day to day use. Only when I'm editing in light room. Which is asking a lot considering I can be editing hundreds of 24mp+ images at a time.

Do you mean a neutered OS like IOS? Haha.

Another notable tablet that should be considered is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, 8.4 and 10.1. These android tablets have a USB port and micro SD card. The new s2 version is a minor upgrade to the Tab S series.

Yea these are childish and bashing.

Jason911

Adventurer
I thought the USB was a problem with iPad, but I just do not need it anymore. My camera has Wifi or I can plug it in to the charge port. I think peripherals are just becoming less relevant.

I would agree with Scott that the peripherals are becoming less relevant, and there is always the option of a lighting to usb/mini-usb cable, if its needed to push/pull large data files: JPEG, RAW and the like. More and more I find myself using a 3rd generation iPad as the daily go-to device, and pushing/cabling in to a laptop w/external 4TB for back-up/storage. I too am curious about the differences of the two - beyond just what was shown in the advertising demo's. Both machines have benefits and weakness's to be sure - the key is to find out what works best for YOU, as it may not be the best solution for the next individual.

Do have to be careful as this thread could become a full blown anti-rhetoric full non-useful information, arguments and such.

fike

Adventurer
Yea these are childish and bashing.

As I sit here and write my posting on an iPad mini 2, I don't really think pointing out limitations of one product over another is childish and bashing. I overland in my Subaru, but I don't take offense when people tell me it can't do heavy duty off-roading. Of course it can't. It is for light-duty off-roading, but that's okay.

As for IOS, it is a media (movies, music, books, magazines) consumption platform, and with its beautiful screen and light weight it is very good at media consumption tasks. On the other hand, Mac OS or Windows OS are for heavy-duty content creation and processing tasks.

For several years I have been trying to lighten my load with various devices ranging from handheld GPS and photo wallets through iPhones, iPads, and personal storage devices. With the surface and the android tablets like the Galaxy Tab s, we finally have truly compact computing platforms that can handle more than media consumption. SO with Apple's most recent announcement, I think many of us are disappointed that they didn't really move towards a real computing experience. The apple purists will jump through all the hoops to create content or to do computing on the iPad pro, but for the rest of us, the lack of USB, SD card slot, and full-featured file system. Really are deal breakers.

If those aren't important to you, that's cool, and I envy you a little bit because you can go light and fast compared to those of us who feel the need to have computers with us.

And if it is that "neutered" word that made you think we were bashing, I neutered my cat and still loved him greatly.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As I sit here and write my posting on an iPad mini 2, I don't really think pointing out limitations of one product over another is childish and bashing. I overland in my Subaru, but I don't take offense when people tell me it can't do heavy duty off-roading. Of course it can't. It is for light-duty off-roading, but that's okay.

As for IOS, it is a media (movies, music, books, magazines) consumption platform, and with its beautiful screen and light weight it is very good at media consumption tasks. On the other hand, Mac OS or Windows OS are for heavy-duty content creation and processing tasks.

For several years I have been trying to lighten my load with various devices ranging from handheld GPS and photo wallets through iPhones, iPads, and personal storage devices. With the surface and the android tablets like the Galaxy Tab s, we finally have truly compact computing platforms that can handle more than media consumption. SO with Apple's most recent announcement, I think many of us are disappointed that they didn't really move towards a real computing experience. The apple purists will jump through all the hoops to create content or to do computing on the iPad pro, but for the rest of us, the lack of USB, SD card slot, and full-featured file system. Really are deal breakers.

If those aren't important to you, that's cool, and I envy you a little bit because you can go light and fast compared to those of us who feel the need to have computers with us.

And if it is that "neutered" word that made you think we were bashing, I neutered my cat and still loved him greatly.

Respectful comment :)

haven

Expedition Leader
Another interesting comparison is between the iPad Pro and Apple's MacBook line of laptops.

The entry level MacBook costs about the same as the least expensive iPad Pro, and has I/O ports, but has a much lower resolution screen, and lacks touch screen technology. The MacBook runs a "real" OS with a "real" file system, but probably will be slower in most tasks, compared to the iPad Pro's A9X processor.

The MacBook Pro with 13 inch Retina screen is more expensive than the iPad Pro, and is configurable with fast processors and a boatload of storage memory. The MacBook Pro also has the Force Touch trackpad, although not many 3rd party applications make full use of it today. The iPad Pro has slightly more pixels on a slightly smaller screen, uses touch and "pencil" input, and is more portable.

I made a mockup of the iPad Pro out of cardboard. It doesn't sit in my lap quite as well as the iPad I use daily. but it's less cumbersome than I expected.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I'll probably buy an ipad pro.

Why would a 'pro' want to do serious photo editing/ video editing on either tiny machine?

turboale

Observer
As I sit here and write my posting on an iPad mini 2, I don't really think pointing out limitations of one product over another is childish and bashing.

I didn't mean to offend, and would like to explain what I mean by neutered. If the word is offensive I apologize, but a mobile operating system is by definition limited in what you can do. It is designed to be economical (save battery life), work with limited hardware and be finger friendly. Three things professional grade devices care little about.

I also used to be a professional photographer so my needs can be vastly different than 95% of users. I have used all sorts of devices to lighten my load. Some have worked, most have not and come with limitations and strings attached. That is what I mean by neutered.
Wifi, while convenient only supports JPEG transfer on my Sony cameras. While most of the time JPEG is more than enough, if I'm ever doing something I want to print, or truly care about more than posting to facebook, I want to edit it in RAW. I'm a little behind on image editors for iOS but all the good ones for Android limit the size to about 2kX2k pixels at 72dpi. They do this because of lack of ram. Again, fine for the screen but nothing I would be comfortable printing larger than 5x7.

Does that explain it better? Again, not trying to be a jerk. There are good reason for it to be limited or "neutered", it has limited resources and hardware to begin with. If you put a full OS on a mobile device it would be slow and hard to use... Different tools for different tasks...

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wired did a pretty good matchup between the published specs of the iPad Pro and Surface Pro 3. They are obviously extremely similar. Interestingly, it appears that Apple was a bit more clever in the internal design, because the device is larger, yet lighter and notably thinner, and I know from experience with iPads and a Surface 3 Pro that the iPad runs MUCH cooler, making it something you actually can use in your hands more easily than a Surface. Fascinating to see what the Surface Pro 4 will offer.

Here is the link: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/head-head-apple-ipad-pro-vs-surface-pro-3/?mbid=social_twitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94