Overland LJ

piratenation90

Adventurer
Hey everyone pretty new to the forum thought I would go ahead and introduce my Jeep to the group. Joined last month been lurking ever since. I live in Greenville SC and have a 2006 LJ, 80k miles, auto, D44 rear, d35 front that I purchased bone stock this spring with 77k on it. LJ is my weekend vehicle, I have a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 that is my work/ non off-roading trip truck. I previously had a 2000 TJ sport manual that I sold in March to upgrade to the LJ. Its only my grilfriend, 40lb Boykin Spaniel and myself right now but I know in a few years there will be one or two kids so I wan't to get a jeep that we could all fit in with camping gear.

Current mods are:
ARB Quadratec stubby front bumper
SuperWinch Tiger Shark 11.5k SR (synthetic rope)
LOD Signatures series rear bumper and tire carrier with trail rack and jerry can mounts
OME 934 front coils (ZJ V8)
OME 949 rear coils (LJ)
Bilstien 5100's (for 3” of lift)
OME rear track bar relocation bracket
Energy suspension front and rear coil isolators
Daystar bump stops
Quadratec 16x8 silver Moab's (set of 5)
BFG KO2's (set of 5 in 315/75r16)
procomp steering stabilizer
1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers
1” front seat risers
Brackentron mounting bracket for CB
Cobra 75WX ST CB radio
KC Hilites gravity LED Pro-Sport driving beam
LifeTime LED rear bumper flush mount 20watt 40 degree flood light
Switch-Pros SP8100 8 switch panel power system (similar to SPOD, except more switches and better price)
VisionX Tantrum LED rock lights

Future mods:
definitely want to make a custom storage drawer system for the rear area with the seat removed need to spend some time figuring out gear(the system will have to be easily removable as I do carry passengers in the back seat from time to time)
re-gear to 4.88's (Southeast Overland is really close to where I live and will have them do the gears)
Flat fenders or possibly highline kit
as of right now roof rack and rtt are way down the line of mods

Before and after pictures
IMG_3526 (800x800).jpg

Recent trail ride
IMG_3462.jpg
IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg

The last 2 pictures are side by side comparisons with my buddy's stock 2005 LJR
IMG_3353 (800x600).jpg
View attachment 303341

My old TJ, was a sad to see it go.
IMG_3137.jpgIMG_3135.jpg
Jan horsepasture 2.jpg

Here is my DD
IMG_1780.jpgIMG_1779.jpg

Last edited:

piratenation90

Adventurer
Replaced my stock SS with a rubicon express one over the weekend. I ran a MOOG SS on my TJ and really liked it, however the all black Rubicon Express one blends in nicely with my suspension components.
I don't know what it is with me and steering stabilizers but every time I go to take the stock one off I end up having to drill the bolt out. I blasted the bolt everyday for the 3 days leading up to me taking the SS off but the damn thing wouldn't buge.IMG_3521.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3523.jpg

piratenation90

Adventurer
CB antenna

So I finally decided on a cb antenna mount for the LJ. The exogate tire carrier I have from Gr8tops was designed by Jeff Scherb, many people on here know him for the awesome stuff he creates for wranglers. Well a company is selling his JK heavy duty hinges and als selling a CB antenna mount that goes along with it. I emailed Jeff to see if it will work with my tailgate hinges and he said it would!!! This is great because I can't use the passenger side teraflex mount due to the hinge reinforcements and I don't want the use the driver side one because I plan on getting a gobi roof rack and will have the access ladder on the driver side. Jeff also came up with a rotopax/cb antenna mount that would work with my hinges but since I have a 315 as a spare it work fit unless I do flush mounted tail lights.

Here is a picture of the antenna mount and the diagram for it:
CB antenna mount.jpg
antenna mount diagram.jpg
Best of all this mount is only $20. The mount should be in by the end of this week.

Here is what the rotopax mount looks like, wish I could have used this but I just don't have the room between my tire and tail light for it.
Rotopax.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very well put together

Always been a huge fan of the LJ, and yours is a great example of why.
Such a very cool Jeep. :beer:

Lucky j

Explorer
Suscribed!

I'm also slowly building my LJ, but I've decided to keep the rear seat with storage in the back so my little malamuthe couls use it when we travel. But I made some seat sliders so I cam bring the seat 5 inc forward for more storage in the back when no body rides behind.

Last edited:

piratenation90

Adventurer
Suscribed!

I'm also slowly building my LJ, but I've decided to keep the rear seat with storage in the back so my little malamuthe couls use it when we travel. But I made some seat sliders so I cam bring the seat 5 inc forward for more storage in the back when no body rides behind.

I like that idea, I plan on building a platform I can put in place of the back seat so my dog can have a flat surface to lay on and I can store stuff underneath it.

piratenation90

Adventurer
So I am planning on taking a few trips this spring/summer and have a list of mods that I want to do before then.

Front bumper: ARB stubby Quadratec edition bumper
View attachment 316785
View attachment 316786
View attachment 316787

Winch: I am really liking the Warn VR 10K
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/VR10000_winch.shtml

Tailgate table: since I got rid of my 3rd brake light I don't need the bracket on the inside of my tailgate so I can fit a JK size table on it.
View attachment 316788
View attachment 316789

I was looking at recovery boards online and came across tred's line of boards. They are coming out with the Tred pros this spring and have a kickstarter campaign going on right now. I much as I have heard and seen great things about Maxtrax and really want a set I went with the Tred Pro's. For the price of 1 set of Maxtraxs I got 2 sets of Tred Pros and 2 mounting brackets.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evolvenpd/tred-pro-total-recovery-and-extraction-device-for

MOguy

Explorer
So I finally decided on a cb antenna mount for the LJ. The exogate tire carrier I have from Gr8tops was designed by Jeff Scherb, many people on here know him for the awesome stuff he creates for wranglers. Well a company is selling his JK heavy duty hinges and als selling a CB antenna mount that goes along with it. I emailed Jeff to see if it will work with my tailgate hinges and he said it would!!! This is great because I can't use the passenger side teraflex mount due to the hinge reinforcements and I don't want the use the driver side one because I plan on getting a gobi roof rack and will have the access ladder on the driver side. Jeff also came up with a rotopax/cb antenna mount that would work with my hinges but since I have a 315 as a spare it work fit unless I do flush mounted tail lights.

Here is a picture of the antenna mount and the diagram for it:
View attachment 306922
View attachment 306923
Best of all this mount is only $20. The mount should be in by the end of this week.

Here is what the rotopax mount looks like, wish I could have used this but I just don't have the room between my tire and tail light for it.
View attachment 306924

Even with the better hinges for your tail gate you are still mounting the Jeeps body. With the larger tire and added weight of the fuel can do you think that the body (where the hinges mount) can take all that added weight? As far as the CB mount do you plan on grounding it to the body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles