THE TRIP - Cape York 2015

Aussie Iron

Explorer
The rest of the track out to the Development Road made its way through the trees with a few smaller climbs and descents and nearly all were rocky and a lot of fun. We camped for the night on the banks of the Little Laura Creek. My nephew left us here and made his way back home to Cairns. We had given him a good taste of 4WDing which he apparently enjoyed.

Our next destination was the east end of the Frenchmans Track for the east/west run. All was going well and we headed up the Development Road and then turned down the road to Portland Roads. The road was fairly corrugated and there are a few sharp corners so we're traveling at 60 to 80 k's/Hr. I've just rounded a Right hand right angle corner and heading up a small straight when over the UHF I hear my Sister say something which takes me a minute to decipher but it was " I've rolled the truck ". A quick stop and call to my brother who was ahead of us, over the radio to come back. We turned around and return to the corner and here is the Canter upside down just passed the apex of the corner on the road. A stop to let the wife out and continue around the corner and park in the middle of the road so traffic can see that I'm stopped on the road. On returning to the Canter they are all right but trapped inside as the cab is pushed down on the passenger side and the driver door is twisted so won't open and the window is jammed but a bit of help we get the window open. They are able to crawl out . My sister has been knocked around but no injuries, her husband who was passenger (it's her truck and she drives it) has a cut on his arm that needs stitching. By this time there are helpers around (some being nurses) and he is well looked after but is going to need medical attention. I went and collected my Canter and use this to right the other and pull it to the side of the road.
The accident was caused by a number of factors, road conditions being the major reason.This was a right angle corner with a washed out section across the apex of the corner.It also had a large dust hole on the outer edge where if you were running a little wide you would hit. Well you come out heavy (from inertia) on the wheels after coming through the wash and she hit the dust hole, Where the front wheel bit into the edge and laid the Canter on its side and then onto the roof. Speed was slow less than 60 k's. Remember this was on the road not on one of the tracks.
The Canter was picked up on a tilt tray and taken to Weipa where we spent the next week trying to solve the insurance. Yes it is a write off but we have purchased it back and will be fitting another cab which is all that is needed.

DSC00162a.jpg
DSCF3232a.jpg

The boat rack that we built before we left Gladstone, well it saved the camp box from damage but the poor boat took a bit of a beating.
Everybody is okay, that is what matters most.

Dan.

Attachments

• DSC00162.jpg
    DSC00162.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
What, no dash cam footage?

Just kidding, that's scary stuff Dan, glad everyone came out of it ok and the truck is salvageable.

Kinda scary how weak the cab is, without the tray head board it would have been flatter!

yabanja

Explorer
Ouch.

Glad everyone is ok.

It is interesting to look at the damage. Makes me want to put an external roll cage on mine.....

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Surely that will buff out Dan... :Wow1:

It's never good when s#!t happens, but at least no one was seriously hurt.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
No dash cam footage, not even mine when I returned to the scene (I know be prepared and have it running) as I didn't have it running because we were only traveling on the road. As it stands I have driven it about 10 kilometers to bring it into the farm, as we unloaded beside the highway and it drives well. I measured the chassis for square and it is good. Now need a cab.

Dan.

Candy

Well, as you can see, I rolled the truck. It happened in an instant, yet was in slow motion at the time.
I was not injured, except my pride, and my other half, Steve, was ok too, but needed 14 stitches on the arm.
I am so lucky to have Steve, because he understands my passion for 4wdriving and he has agreed that we will rebuild the Canter.
It is a very capable truck and we will finish the Cape Trip as soon as we get back on track.
As they say, " What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". And I guess in my case "more determined" not to be beaten.
Henny

westyss

Explorer
Wow! Glad you are all OK and too bad about the truck. I would be interested in hearing about the circumstances that led to the rollover.
I had an accident several years back where during the crash I thought for sure I would roll but didn't....after that I assumed that they are pretty darn stable in that regard so I would like to hear more about what you found contributed to the rollover.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...so I would like to hear more about what you found contributed to the rollover.
As I read it...

The accident was caused by a number of factors, road conditions being the major reason.This was a right angle corner with a washed out section across the apex of the corner.It also had a large dust hole on the outer edge where if you were running a little wide you would hit. Well you come out heavy (from inertia) on the wheels after coming through the wash and she hit the dust hole, Where the front wheel bit into the edge and laid the Canter on its side and then onto the roof. Speed was slow less than 60 k's. Remember this was on the road not on one of the tracks.

gait

Explorer
I can relate to the slow motion bit Candy, its almost graceful. Time for the slow dawning sinking feeling that something horrible is about to happen. The difference between almost rolling and rolling is very small. I was just a smidgeon luckier than you.

Pleased everyone is ok.

Candy

I hate that sinking feeling.
Anyway I do believe there were other outside factors which contributed to this accident.
Firstly about 6 months prior, I asked my brother in Townsville if we would be going to look at Weipa. He said he did not think so, But I could check with Dan as he was organising the itinerary. A couple months later I asked Dan "Are we going to look at Weipa?" His response was "No. There is nothing at Weipa to really see." Ok. I was fine with that. We DO NOT need to go to Weipa.
Secondly, 2 days prior to the rollover, I caught a tree on the leg of the tray on the truck, which neatly wiped out my passenger mirror. So we searched for another mirror the next day and found one which we fitted. Steve was saying "This is a mistake. It has come off a rolled car." I didn't want to listen. The mirror fitted good.
Well, you guess what happened next. Yep, rollover and ended up in Weipa. (For nearly a week)
And the mirror survived without a scratch. It just folded neatly towards the door of the truck.
Henny

Aussie Iron

Explorer
The Canter platform is very stable but like all vehicles momentum often takes us where we don't want to go. I can attest that the side angle that we can take it to is greater than your rear end can sit in the seat. This I have done and if the door wasn't there I would not have been and yes it stayed on it's wheel but if you were to lift the high side by hand you probably could have tipped it over.

Well we spent the week in Weipa. Not much to do there, couldn't get a fishing charter as you need to book well in advance. We did do an Eco Sunset Tour and did see a couple of crocs one swimming and one on the bank. It was a good distraction from the chaos that was around.
DSC00167a.jpg

DSC00172a.jpg

Weipa is a mining town and the bauxite is shipped out from their modest little port. Here are a couple of ships passing in the shipping lane early in morning mist.

DSC00175a.jpg

With transport arranged to get the Canter shipped back to Cairns and my Sister on a plane back home we now had a decision to make as which way we would head. It was decided that we didn't have time to head to the Top so a diversion was planned and we would go through Batavia Downs Station to the Cape road and do another run west to east on the Frenchmans Track. This takes us somewhat heading towards home.

Dan.

Bris31

Adventurer
Dan/Henny, sad to see the the state of the truck but good you both still maintaining same sense of humor.

I hate that sinking feeling.
Anyway I do believe there were other outside factors which contributed to this accident.
Firstly about 6 months prior, I asked my brother in Townsville if we would be going to look at Weipa. He said he did not think so, But I could check with Dan as he was organising the itinerary. A couple months later I asked Dan "Are we going to look at Weipa?" His response was "No. There is nothing at Weipa to really see." Ok. I was fine with that. We DO NOT need to go to Weipa.
Secondly, 2 days prior to the rollover, I caught a tree on the leg of the tray on the truck, which neatly wiped out my passenger mirror. So we searched for another mirror the next day and found one which we fitted. Steve was saying "This is a mistake. It has come off a rolled car." I didn't want to listen. The mirror fitted good.
Well, you guess what happened next. Yep, rollover and ended up in Weipa. (For nearly a week)
And the mirror survived without a scratch. It just folded neatly towards the door of the truck.
Henny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94