THE TRIP - Cape York 2015

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I know it's been awhile but work and Computer not doing what its suppose too with my videos. The Frenchmans Track is not that hard a run when it is as dry as what it was but it is a narrow track and has a couple of great river crossings. One being the Wenlock and we had a play on the approaches.

The next crossing is on the Pascoe River and is more of a challenge and a lot of fun.

Dan.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
The rest of the track out to the Development Road made its way through the trees with a few smaller climbs and descents and nearly all were rocky and a lot of fun. We camped for the night on the banks of the Little Laura Creek. My nephew left us here and made his way back home to Cairns. We had given him a good taste of 4WDing which he apparently enjoyed.

Our next destination was the east end of the Frenchmans Track for the east/west run. All was going well and we headed up the Development Road and then turned down the road to Portland Roads. The road was fairly corrugated and there are a few sharp corners so we're traveling at 60 to 80 k's/Hr. I've just rounded a Right hand right angle corner and heading up a small straight when over the UHF I hear my Sister say something which takes me a minute to decipher but it was " I've rolled the truck ". A quick stop and call to my brother who was ahead of us, over the radio to come back. We turned around and return to the corner and here is the Canter upside down just passed the apex of the corner on the road. A stop to let the wife out and continue around the corner and park in the middle of the road so traffic can see that I'm stopped on the road. On returning to the Canter they are all right but trapped inside as the cab is pushed down on the passenger side and the driver door is twisted so won't open and the window is jammed but a bit of help we get the window open. They are able to crawl out . My sister has been knocked around but no injuries, her husband who was passenger (it's her truck and she drives it) has a cut on his arm that needs stitching. By this time there are helpers around (some being nurses) and he is well looked after but is going to need medical attention. I went and collected my Canter and use this to right the other and pull it to the side of the road.
The accident was caused by a number of factors, road conditions being the major reason.This was a right angle corner with a washed out section across the apex of the corner.It also had a large dust hole on the outer edge where if you were running a little wide you would hit. Well you come out heavy (from inertia) on the wheels after coming through the wash and she hit the dust hole, Where the front wheel bit into the edge and laid the Canter on its side and then onto the roof. Speed was slow less than 60 k's. Remember this was on the road not on one of the tracks.
The Canter was picked up on a tilt tray and taken to Weipa where we spent the next week trying to solve the insurance. Yes it is a write off but we have purchased it back and will be fitting another cab which is all that is needed.

View attachment 306494
View attachment 306495

The boat rack that we built before we left Gladstone, well it saved the camp box from damage but the poor boat took a bit of a beating.
Everybody is okay, that is what matters most.

Dan.

Wow I am glad everyone is ok and it was only the vehicle that was damaged.

yabanja

Explorer
Nice Video's~(I am a little late to the game. Have been vacationing in India for the last few months)

Allan

Outback

Explorer
Thanks for sharing your expedition. What an area to live in! Its a shame the old girl rolled over but a new face lift will make her look all new again. The main thing is nobody got hurt to bad. Cabs and glass etc can be replaced but people can't. God Bless and keep the Vids a coming!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
We will keep the vids coming. We are just organizing this years run (leaving Gladstone on the 7th August at this stage) and it will back up to the Top and finish our last trip. Candy's Canter is on the road just, we still need to change over the camp box and a few extras. It certainly is nice country and you are more than welcome to come over and join us. Don't forget that Alaska is also a nice place that I hope to drive to one day.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I'm starting a trip from Cairns on the 25th of September.

Bring it forward and come and join us, we are doing roughly 3 weeks up there. Taking in Zig Zag, May Town, Creb if open, Bloomfield, Frenchman's and of coarse the Old telegraph Track. There are a few others that we are going to look at as well.

Dan.

Bris31

Adventurer
..We are just organizing this years run (leaving Gladstone on the 7th August at this stage) and it will back up to the Top and finish our last trip. ....
Dan.

As we spoke, tentatively at this stage we would be joining you Dan.
But first we need to come out of Simpson desert trip in June unscathed :sombrero:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
As we spoke, tentatively at this stage we would be joining you Dan.
But first we need to come out of Simpson desert trip in June unscathed :sombrero:

Not a problem as long as I don't have to change the destination to a recovery trip in the Simpson.

Dan.

AussieTim

Good videos, a taste of what to expect this trip.
Really looking forward to joining you on this years trip Uncle Danny, although might be a little out of place driving a rusty old Nissan between the diamonds but ill still try to keep up :p

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Good videos, a taste of what to expect this trip.
Really looking forward to joining you on this years trip Uncle Danny, although might be a little out of place driving a rusty old Nissan between the diamonds but ill still try to keep up :p

Good to hear that you like the videos and yes we will wait for you if needed (Na - she'll be right we don't go that fast).

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz