Thanksgiving in Death Valley

Popping this back up to see who else is in, and what days we should do. I am actually looking a little slow at the moment thanks to an online advertising fiasco.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm in for driving down 25th. Returning the 3rd. Girlfriend is coming. My friend Joe may come and possibly his wife.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Have another friend who wants to join us. Some destination suggestions from him:

Saline upper (northern portion) had some snow
Saline hot springs are enjoyable & free camping
Saline Valley Dunes were cool
Dedeckera road interesting
Ballerarat ghost town interesting, still partially inhabited
Talc mine is neat
If you are ready, one can get video of fighter jets flying in the canyons below the road you are on!
Butte Valley road/wash and has large stair steps in the road
Trona is an interesting area
Scotty's Castle - no gas (they didn't go there as they were low on gas) I was there when a kid
PanamintSprings has most attributes of civilization, cell service on the hill to the west and at Vista Point to the east
Saline road (southern portion) has large stairs
Lippencot Pass lead mine road, can go over Hunter Mtn, 5800'

Got hit the a stomach bug yesterday, but going to crawl out of the fog today. Ballerat is nothing much to see, but the cabin for Thanksgiving is up the hill from it. Need to figure out our days for sure, complicated by Esthers dying grandmother. But since you are coming down Wednesday we will plan on meeting at the cabin Wednesday night, then loop up there on Thursday. A couple of those sound new and interesting. Do want to do Cerro Gordo for sure though.

Ok, looks like we will go part way Tuesday night, and then head in Wednesday maybe stop at an attraction on the way in. So be at Briggs Wednesday and Thursday night then move to another camp for Friday and Saturday, head home Sunday. Will plan out some trails next, but at least we pinned our days.

montypower

Adventure Time!
More notes from the someone who just visited.

Definitely start at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center for all the latest backcountry information
Mesquite Spring Campground is quiet, has water and is their favorite.
They liked the Leadfield ghost town
Historic Stovepipe Wells has the heavy duty wagons of the mining era
Started up Johnson Canyon to see the Hungry Bill Ranch and turned around before they got there

---

Let me know what you are thinking for the different days. We are leaving on Weds 3rd.

Clem

Adventurer
Started up Johnson Canyon to see the Hungry Bill Ranch and turned around before they got there

Can you share why they turned around (i.e. bad weather, trail too tough, attacked by wild animals :sombrero:, etc.)?

Thank you,

Clem

Ok, thinking of a reverse direction program since we are starting West, and from the suggestions sticking north. Let me see about scraping another day or 2 together headed into the next week with you.

Wednesday -- We are leaving Tuesday night, so we will arrive early and take the loop around Pleasant Canyon to South Park and Grab Briggs Cabin
Thursday -- Run to Cerro Gordo and Back to the cabin for Thanksgiving Dinner(what do you want to bring for dinner?)
Friday -- Head Up to Saline Hot Springs Area and Explore
Saturday -- Titus Canyon(leadfield Here) and Chloride City
Sunday -- Echo Pass/ Inyo Mine

Maybe add Lippencot Pass lead mine road and Race Track if we can pull another day off. Scottys castle is closed due to a flood. Man Death valley takes a beating from floods. Being an El Nino year we need to be prepared for adjustments, especially for impassible snow.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Lloyd -

Hate to do this, but need to stay in town. Had four real estate transactions scheduled to close before Thanksgiving now two have been pushed into the trip dates. Been a rough week... Tried to make other arrangements but not looking feasible at this point.

One of my friends (Nate) may still want to join you. I sent him a link to the thread.

justcuz

Explorer
Sorry to see you are doing this alone. Hopefully the weather will hold out, cold and clear with little to no rain.
There will be lots of other people out there though. Can't wait for your trip report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz