Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If this lid had handles on the side, it'd be much more versatile. Then you could use it as a serving dish, wash bowl, and potentially a cooking pot, etc. I know the handle is easier to use on the top, but the compromise for added function I think is worth it.

On the other hand, unless the handle(s) detached, it might not fit into the carry bag. I think there's room for both. Get yourself a flat-bottomed wok with a removable handle and you'd have the perfect multi-tasker.

WheelsUp

Observer
A single handle would be too wide, but a pair of looped handle like the lid uses now should have plenty of room in the bag. I've been casually looking for a pot that would serve this function, but haven't found anything quite what I want. I'll check out some woks.
I've got an old Tramontina 10" pot that might work, but the handles are too close to the rim (as are most pots) and hit the skottle surface. I've considered cutting them off and welding them on further down the side, but I'd really prefer something wider.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Just got back from the Overland Expo and had a great show! We sold every Skottle Grill Kit we brought to the show!

The Skottle IGT table insert is now listed on the TemboTusk website as a sale item. Thanks everyone who helped push to have this insert developed! the IGT Skottle Insert can be found here: IGT Skottle Insert

2016-05-21 12.58.18.jpg2016-05-22 07.33.37-1.jpg

KD7WCD

Jerry,

It was great to meet you and the family at the EXPO. Tell Bryan if he is still interested in picking up some side work in Rock & Roll to come on by and see me.

I am glad I picked up my Scottle. Sounds like it was a successful show.

Last night I set up my new Scottle to show my wife what I had bought and been talking about. Before I could get started on our first meal my 3½-year-old jumped in with her own recipe from her play kitchen. Kind of institual sense I had not really explaned what it was to her yet. Mak's first to use it..jpg

For our first meal I kept it simple. A Rice and Beans thing I usually do in a skillet. Add in some leftover Chicken and Summer Sausage and an easy quick meal.
Cooking Rice and Beans.jpg Add chiken and Sausage.jpg

It was fun cooking with it and made a great quick meal out on the patio so we did not heat up the house.
Sucsess.jpg

Looking forward to many more cooking adventures.

Last edited:

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Love the play food on the Skottle! Great meeting you at the Expo and I let Bryan know about the offer of side work.

Looks like the rice and beans turned out real good!

kramme

Observer
Looks good and being I love rice and beans, can you give me an idea how you cooked the rice (did you boil the rice in the skottle then add a can of beans)? Also yes that is precious with the toy vegies, that is one smart kid!

KD7WCD

Thanks Kramme.

I used a package of premixed Zatarain's Red Bean & Rice. It was pretty salty and not what I normally use. It cooks all at once. Added some Vegetable Oil with some water, heated it all up until it was ready. Then pushed it out to the side and heated up the meats. I think if I were cooking the meat from the start I would have cooked it first.

This was quick and easy but need to find a good rice and bean recipe that is not prepackaged.

JamesC

Adventurer
The Snow Peak IGT insert just arrived a few minutes ago! Thanks again for producing these. Fits great and looks very durable over the long haul.

Now to come up with a combo Skottle and Potjie BBQ Box recipe!!

dfinn

Adventurer
I think I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these to replace an old coleman fuel stove but one thing I'm wondering is how do you find them to cook in the wind? We spend a fair amount of time in the desert and it can get pretty windy and nasty. It seems like the food is totally open to the elements when cooking on one of these? My old coleman with the top and sides folded out does a decent job of protecting things from blowing sand when the wind kicks up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94