Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

JamesC

Adventurer
DesertSand05,
That being said, I am developing an insert to for the IGT table that will allow the Skottle and its burner to be used with the table. A prototype is being cut this Saturday and the testing will begin!

I will be posting pictures as soon as I can.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
An update from the TemboTusk World!

With the help of Goose Gear and his CNC machine we made a prototype IGT Skottle Insert. The insert fits the table and the Skottle fits the insert! See pictures below. Don't look too closely at the material as we used shop scraps.

Let me know what you think?

CNC machine.jpg

CNC layout.jpg

EGT.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Looking forward to it! 2 'units' occupied of the IGT then?

Thanks for the r&d :)

Two units??? Are you looking for the insert to use less of the the table opening? If the insert is shortened to its minimum, it could leave more open space on one end of the table. Or have the Skottle positioned off center to allow table flat space next to the Skottle. Not sure if that is what you are referring to?

My original idea was to center the Skottle on the IGT for aesthetics and balance.

Design input is welcome!

Thanks!

cactusjk

Explorer
It looks like is does occupy 2 units if mounted that way. So in a 3 unit IGC you could have one unit for something else. Not sure you could get it down to fit in a single unit.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Centered up like that using 2 IGT units is perfect for stability! Looks as if the Skottle was made for the IGT system :)

An update from the TemboTusk World!

With the help of Goose Gear and his CNC machine we made a prototype IGT Skottle Insert. The insert fits the table and the Skottle fits the insert! See pictures below. Don't look too closely at the material as we used shop scraps.

Let me know what you think?

View attachment 338942

View attachment 338943

View attachment 338944

JamesC

Adventurer
Two units??? Are you looking for the insert to use less of the the table opening? If the insert is shortened to its minimum, it could leave more open space on one end of the table. Or have the Skottle positioned off center to allow table flat space next to the Skottle. Not sure if that is what you are referring to?

My original idea was to center the Skottle on the IGT for aesthetics and balance.

Design input is welcome!

Thanks!

Agreed, looks like it is 2 units and is a good balance of stability and real estate usage. Is the base material going to be cutable for diy'er types who might want to minimize? Will it fit into the skottle bag at that size? Looks great and I know I'm not the only one who can't wait! Happy to preorder if it helps with dev costs.

Thanks again,

James

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
James,

Yes the insert will fit in the Skottle Carry Bag, however, I believe it would be better to store and carry the insert in the IGT bag. At this point since Snow Peak tables are bamboo, the Skottle Insert will also be bamboo and therefore could be cut by the end user to any size. Be aware that cutting down the Insert will sacrifice stability and I would not recommend doing it.

Still working on pricing. Bamboo is astronomically expensive, but I can't imagine a Snow Peak owner wanting any other wood with his or her tables.

Before the insert is ready for order, or preorder, I need to do my burn tests and make sure there are no issues there.

I want to give a quick shout-out Brian at www.goose-gear.com for helping me with the prototype. He has an amazing CNC router the size of a small truck!

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Snow Peak Skottle Insert Burn test compete ... FAIL!!!

I was hoping wood or bamboo would work, but it did not fair well. Off to get some metal cut ...

2016-04-12 18.13.29.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
OK, I've had the skottle on my wishlist forever, but the family hasn't taken the hint, so I may purchase on my own, since I think it would be a nice "multi-role" setup for our upcoming trip. I do have an "operating" question for those who use it frequently, though: It seems a lot of folks are using it in lieu of a grill, but it begs the question "What do we do with the grease?"

Even my little knock-off "Go Anywhere" style gas grill gets hot enough to do a good job burning off the drippings from fatty foods. I'm presuming that doing steaks/burgers on a skottle will result in a certain amount of rendered fat. Most folks just wiping it up with a paper towl? Dumping it? (Please say 'no'...)

If I pick one up, it's first field outing will be in established campgrounds, some with critter issues, so I'll definitely need a plan for dealing with this.

Secondary Question: Has anybody used the skottle as a Dutch Oven cookstand. I know it sounds sacrilegious, but in the vein of finding multiple uses and avoiding redundancy, it seems that I could safely put coals and a D/O on the skottle when in environments where ground fires aren't permitted and a fire ring isn't available...

EDIT: Question #3: Can I assume that the burner for the skottle can be used with a bulk tank? I have an appropriate coleman single-burner (the older one w/o the piezo ignition) that I use with a bulk tank by hanging it from a custom mount on my chuckbox. Is there anything about having the "weight" of the tank that's needed to use the burner with the skottle?
EDIT #2: A careful review of TemboTusk's IG seems to show at least a few people using w/ bulk tank, so I'll take that as "safe".

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier