What's the fastest +12volt pump for airing tires up

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Ill be interested to hear how the Zenith compares to the puma. As I was interested in getting the puma.
I used to run a puma, paired to a 5 gal tank, when filling 2 tires simultaneously, it would take 6 mins if the tank was full(125 psi), 7 mins if tank was empty, so generally it took me 15 mins to air up all 4 33" tires from 10-40 psi.

I just picked up an air Zenith ob2 and I'm waiting on a few small parts, and I will compare it to my times with the puma. I also have an mv50 as a backup and that takes around 30 mins for all 4.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp

Good looking tank. AVS doesn't list the max working pressure on their website, do you happen to know if it's 200psi?

Also it was mentioned in this thread that the OB2 compressor is rebuildable. I found this neat video where the guy completely breaks down the compressor into parts and he explains all the parts and peices and improvements of the OB2 over the OB1.

meental

Observer
Yea they have changed their site and no longer list any info on the tanks. Since i bought the tank a while ago, I called them and confirmed it is good to 200psi. They couldn't tell me the burst pressure but he said they run them all the time with 200 psi compressors and used to sell the ob2 paired with this tank. They no longer sell the ob2 but do have a nice mounting bracket for them still.

I tried to mess with all this stuff for awhile. then I found C02. Havent looked back. I can do all 4 of my 37s from 8 to 28 before an arb can raise 4 33s 10psi

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have run Extreme Outback on 3 different rigs and will never own anything else.
Mounted to frame rail under Suburban, 2 gal tank, doesn't care about weather, mud, rocks or anything else. It just works and works really really well.
Plus George & Tamara are the best people you will deal with. Call and chat and see what you think.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Thanks for your post. Just looked at the Extreme Outback. Right away I noticed a few differences vs. the Air Zenith OB2.

The air intake on the Extreme Outback is on crank case body. This is not the best design. As I understand it, any moisture, grit, that makes it past the filter gets sucked right into the body and get into the pistons and bearings. The Air-Zenith OB1 was designed this way too. If you look at the OB2 (major redesign) , you'll notice the air filter is mounted on the head of the body. The reason for this is so that air can come into the head, pass through the valves and right back out. Less chance of stuff getting into the compressor. Both compressors are sealed from the elements with rubber o-rings and what not. Also the air filter on the OB2 uses a complex passageway which helps reduce moisture from getting in, apparently much in the same manner as the head on a snorkel for a vehicle air intake. To be fair I dont' know that much about the Extreme Outback, other than what I read on their website, so I don't know if it has anything special or not to help it fiter.

Other things to note is the size difference. Notice how much larger the head is on the OB2. This tells a story. It's much more efficient at dissipating heat and which is why it can be 100% duty cycle at 200 PSI.

The rest of the story is told by the power consumption. Extreme Aire 82 amps draw @ 100 psi, 2.6 CFM vs. OB2 35 amps draw @ 100 PSI, 2.47 CFM

Dimensions and wight are similar.

ExtremeAire Magnum $590

Specifications:
-1.5 HP Motor
-82 amps draw @ 100 psi
-Continuous Duty Rating @ 150 psi, 200 psi max pressure
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi"
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall

extremeaire_magnum_14.jpg

Air-Zenith OB2 $370

■ Voltage: 12V DC
■ Working Pressure: 200 PSI
■ Air Flow: 4.25 CFM @ 0-30 PSI
■ Air Flow: 2.47 CFM @ 100 PSI

■ Duty Cycle: 100% @ 200 PSI
■ Max. Amp Draw: 35A
■ Motor: 3/4 HP
AZOB2K.2.jpg

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Sounds good. Do me a favor, and let me know your results.

I got in touch with Air-Zenith, and their 5-gallon aircraft-grade aluminum 300psi burst proof air tank has 8 ports: 4x 1/2", 4x 1/4".

And the following specs:

AZ-5-gal-alum-tank.jpg

I'm not sure I can fit this model tank under my Tacoma... Going to do some measuring tonight.

Something to think about is mounting it under your truck to the rails then have a piece of steel bent up as a skid plate for it. That will protect it from hitting it on anything and it a simple piece to make with a break or a metal worker

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have run Extreme Outback on 3 different rigs and will never own anything else.
Mounted to frame rail under Suburban, 2 gal tank, doesn't care about weather, mud, rocks or anything else. It just works and works really really well.
Plus George & Tamara are the best people you will deal with. Call and chat and see what you think.

Similar setup here (except it is under a Fuso not a Suburban) and it runs strong.

The only issue I have had is getting up to 120psi at high altitude, it just likes to run forever. Since I have mine always on (for air seats and air horn) that can be an issue, so I put in a manual override and can switch it OFF-ON-SOLENOID. For normal driving only getting up to 100 psi isn't an issue, but I air my rear tires at 120 so need the high pressure at times.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Quote Originally Posted by GR8ADV View Post
Did you toss this Oasis one out? Sorry I could not find your thoughts on it in the thread. Seems to blow both the extream air and OB2 away at 8CFM at 200 PSI. http://www.grainger.com/product/OASI...P-12VDC-22NW59
I did. For two reasons. 1.) Weight @62 lbs. To heavy for a Tacoma. 2.) Price $1,500. Too much for recreation vehicle.
And the Oasis is just huge. Tough to fit it into a truck that needs to carry a lot of other gear. Great compressor, though

ert01

Adventurer
My warn vtc is pretty darn quick. I think the specs are 8cfm at 90psi...
Too bad it's been discontinued.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My warn vtc is pretty darn quick. I think the specs are 8cfm at 90psi...
Too bad it's been discontinued.
It's a great compressor and would be my first choice if I had room for it. My SPI is the single cylinder version of that compressor, and it will run air tools all day if you need to, even without a tank. Delivers 12cfm free air flow and 4cfm at 90psi. Warn really screwed up when they discontinued those compressors, but they were expensive and hit the market at the wrong time. The recession killed a lot of good products and good companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz