What's the fastest +12volt pump for airing tires up

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I want to air up my 33" tires as fast as possible using a +12v pump. I don't care about cost, just the best performing one out there.

So what's the best?

Thanks.

Crom

Thanks. It's at the top of my list. Just wanted to ask before buying. :) See if there are other options, etc.

Crom

Best is, well, best for you.

But, the absolutely highest true cfm is the Oasis for a 12 or 24 volt power source.

http://www.oasismfg.com/index.html

Worth the visit, anyhoo.

Dale
Thank you Dale. Most impressive, indeed.

That 3000 model, weighs 62lbs and puts out an impressive 9 CFM@ 50 PSI, and even more impressive 8CFM @100 PSI.

It's a monster! Wow!

For $1,500 dollars that thing delivers!!! :D

XD3000-1.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
A York A/C compressor tied to a DC motor. I'm guessing top dollar for that rig. I used to source those Yorks out of the junkyard all day long for about $35, including all the brackets. Since the concept of air conditioning in an old open top Jeep was a bit on the amusing side, repurposing the A/C pump as an onboard compressor was a no brainier, and it bolted right up. I used them for airing up tires and feeding the semi truck horns I liked to stash under the hood. :D

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I miss my extremeaire magnnum..... great compressor!
There is an article OJ did on comparing compressors. I'm sure it would be rather easy to dig up.

Crom

A York A/C compressor tied to a DC motor. I'm guessing top dollar for that rig. I used to source those Yorks out of the junkyard all day long for about $35, including all the brackets. Since the concept of air conditioning in an old open top Jeep was a bit on the amusing side, repurposing the A/C pump as an onboard compressor was a no brainier, and it bolted right up. I used them for airing up tires and feeding the semi truck horns I liked to stash under the hood. :D

Belt driven compressors are awesome! There is one successful writeup from a member on tacomaworld who succeeded in finding an AC compressor in a junkyard and converting it to run on grease, fabing a bracket, and installing a longer serpentine belt. He got the job done.

As awesome as that would be in my own truck, I want to steer clear of any mods to the engine apparatus.
The VIAIR compressors are powerfull and fast.

Choose your model and dont be dissapoiment

Honack
http://blog.honack.com
Viair makes some great stuff. I have one of their smaller compressor. I don't think they make anything that can touch the ARB dual though.

For a comparison metric I'm using CFM at the same PSI.
I miss my extremeaire magnnum..... great compressor!
There is an article OJ did on comparing compressors. I'm sure it would be rather easy to dig up.
Extreme Magnum huh? Sounds bad a**!

I'll see if I can find the article.

Last edited:

FlyFishermen

Observer
Pair a pump with sufficient storage tanks. The more tank capacity the more air flow you will get at pressure and the lower duty cycle on the pump, once the tanks are full of course. Viair has a few tank options. You don't need one big one, a few small ones plumbed together works too. Then you can run tools also, not just inflate tires.

Crom

Pair a pump with sufficient storage tanks. The more tank capacity the more air flow you will get at pressure and the lower duty cycle on the pump, once the tanks are full of course. Viair has a few tank options. You don't need one big one, a few small ones plumbed together works too. Then you can run tools also, not just inflate tires.
At the present time, my plan is to go with the biggest best performing pump I can fit in the truck, that weighs 20lb or less.
air zenith - been using them in the air ride world for years. Far out preform Viair

http://shop.air-zenith.com/200psiob2-black.aspx
Agreed! Based on my research from yesterday. The OB2 is the closest thing that competes with the ARB Dual, at much less cost too.

I'm quoting a trusted associate who sourced these figures from product doc:

ARB Dual: 4.65CFM @ 29 PSI
Zenith OB2: 4.25CFM @ 30 PSI

Source

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I don't think you mentioned what kind of vehicle it's going in or whether you want hard mount or portable. Whether hard mount or portable, air tanks will speed things up considerably. If you use a portable compressor with tank(s), you will need two quick connects, one to get air into the tank(s) and one to feed your air hose. Viair makes a lot of connectors with check valves for setups like this. If space is an issue the ARB is a good choice, but the ARB twins run hot. Max output is probably going to be from the big Oasis, but the smaller Oasis 3000 (?) puts out a lot of air; takes a lot of space. If you can find one of the old Warn single or twin cylinder units, those might still be the most bang for the buck. I have the big Warn single at 12cfm free air flow with 100% duty cycle (the twin is about twice that) and I like it a lot. It came as a portable unit in a handy cradle, but I pulled the unit off the cradle and hardmounted it in my truck. Warn SPI behind the grill:

Attachments

• IMAG0609.JPG
    IMAG0609.JPG
    498.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
At the present time, my plan is to go with the biggest best performing pump I can fit in the truck, that weighs 20lb or less.

Agreed! Based on my research from yesterday. The OB2 is the closest thing that competes with the ARB Dual, at much less cost too.

I'm quoting a trusted associate who sourced these figures from product doc:

ARB Dual: 4.65CFM @ 29 PSI
Zenith OB2: 4.25CFM @ 30 PSI

Source

The Zenith is much less expensive and you are talking one compressor rather than 2. If you add 2 of those OB2s you will have plenty of air. Mate it with a 5 gallon tank somewhere in your cargo space and you will fill them up in no time. Especially if you buy a 200 psi tank and you run 3/8s line off it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles