Range Rover vs LR4

MTSN

Explorer
We're thinking about adding a vehicle soon, and I've seen prices fall enough to land in the comfort zone finally for an LR4 or a 2010+ RR. I prefer the RR (particularly the supercharged version), but my wife prefers the look of the LR4. Assuming the price differential isn't a factor between the two, which would you pick? The gas mileage is virtually the same, they're both great off road and on road, and reliability doesn't seem to be extremely different between the two. Regardless of which I would certainly get an aftermarket comprehensive warranty since any repair would be very costly I'm sure. This vehicle would be 90% on pavement with maybe a couple of trails per year thrown in just for fun. I have a feeling the LR4 will probably hold it's value a little better, but I think the RRSC would be much more fun to drive.

2010-land-rover-range-rover-8.jpg

2011-land-rover-lr4_100334428_l.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
The V8 Lr4 is pretty damn fast. I would suggest driving one to compare.

I've seen the LR4 documented at 7.5 seconds 0-60 which I wouldn't consider fast. The 3.6 Pentastar is rated in the high 6s for 0-60, and I wouldn't even call that fast. It's certainly sufficient, but low 5s is more on par with modern quick vehicles.

Exploder
The LR4's not "fast", but it's pretty darned fast for something that weighs 6000 lbs and can make it through a majority of the trails in the U.S.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Both are really nice. However there is more aftermarket support for the LR4 out there, so its easier to build.

If you are going to start adding things like lift, bigger tires, armor, etc, and LR4 will be easier to do. That kinda stuff for the RR is fairly absent from the market.

MTSN

Explorer
I will definitely not be modding this one at all. No lift, armor, bigger tires or anything like that since that's what the Jeep is for. This will be purely for a fun daily driver that does great in the snow with the occasional unpaved scenic road. I would honestly be too afraid of costly repairs on either if we took it offroad more than once in a blue moon. Repairing trail damage on a LR is a whole different stratosphere of costs than a Jeep.

MTSN

Explorer
Geesh, where have I heard THAT before.....

My JKUR stayed stock for a whole three weeks :D Oh and my new Ducati Scrambler stayed stock for almost three months before I put a pipe and tune on it too, so I'm doing great lately!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My JKUR stayed stock for a whole three weeks :D Oh and my new Ducati Scrambler stayed stock for almost three months before I put a pipe and tune on it too, so I'm doing great lately!

Yup, LR4. Definitely NOT the RR.

zelatore

Explorer
IF you will actually leave it stock and use it as a road-only vehicle as you've said you will, then RR. But if you think you'll change your mind down the road and want to build it/wheel it, LR4.

JackW

Explorer
More possibility of electrical gremlins with the RR - but we all know that Land Rover electrical systems are dead nuts reliable so just go ahead and buy the one your wife likes...

MTSN

Explorer
I'm hoping we can drive the RRSC tomorrow. We tried the LX570 last weekend, and she found it too "big". I'm hoping the more aggressive and sporty driving nature will offset the fact the RR is not really any smaller than the 200 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior