Astro 4x4 Adventure VAN

ihatemybike

Explorer
I have one question that I always asked every Safari/Astro owner out there and I get mixed results...how hard is it to work on the engine?
Having owned as many Astros as I have, there are many tips that can make working on them easier.

Spark plugs = through the front wheel wells, using socket and extensions to reach between the body and sub-frame

Engine driven accessories and most everything towards the front of the engine = remove the airbox, radiator shroud and fan as needed

Spark plug wires, cap, rotor, distributor and ignition coil = pull the interior engine cover

Top end rebuild = pull the interior engine cover and one or two of the front seats to make yourself more comfortable

Gas tank = cam straps and jack to lower and raise, pretty easy (do not cut a hole in the floor!)

Transmission bell housing bolts = long extensions reaching from the back of the trans

In all honesty, as long as you don't spring a intake manifold gasket leak you'll only need to pull the interior engine cover for tuneups, which are scheduled 100k miles apart per the owners manual.

Last edited:

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Having owned as many Astros as I have there are many tips that can make working on them easier.

Spark plugs = through the front wheel wells, using socket and extensions to reach between the body and sub-frame

Engine driven accessories and most everything towards the front of the engine = remove the airbox, radiator shroud and fan as needed

Spark plug wires, cap, rotor, distributor and ignition coil = pull the interior engine cover

Top end rebuild = pull the interior engine cover and one or two of the front seats to make yourself more comfortable

Gas tank = cam straps and jack to lower and raise, pretty easy (do not cut a hole in the floor!)

Transmission bell housing bolts = long extensions reaching from the back of the trans

In all honesty, as long as you don't spring a intake manifold gasket leak you'll only need to pull the interior engine cover for tuneups, which are scheduled 100k miles apart per the owners manual.

Ah, so its no worse than the 1995 Caravan I used to own. Good to know!

Sharkfox

Observer
I finally got some saddle time on the XR at Taylor Park Reservoir.
Plenty of beautiful spots to get off the road, set up camp and hit the trails for a few days. I had a trail map but very few of the trails other then the major forest roads were marked. I ended up just exploring and hoping to find a familiar path back to camp.

I had a close call with an elk on one of the trails but the cows were really what you had to keep an eye out for. At least the elk and deer would get out of your way.

The deer were pretty curious about my dinner though. This pair wouldn't leave me alone..

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Beautiful land ya got there... what are those tall green things? I live in SoCal, we don't have anything like that... unless they are cell towers painted to look like on of 'dem thar big green things.

Sharkfox

Observer
They may look like trees but you're right. They are all cell phone towers. The reception out there was AMAZING!

Here's another stupid video.
Enjoy.
[video=vimeo;111144161]https://vimeo.com/111144161[/video]

Sharkfox

Observer
Yeah...The bike sounds like it needs a little tune up.

After Taylor Park, I eventually made my way to Fruita Colorado.
Based on the enormous grain elevator mural, it looks like a good place to break out the mountain bike. Actually this was somewhere I'd been really looking forward to biking.

I saw this rig in town. For Sale.

The first stop for biking was Kokopelli Loops trails.

1,500 miles from home, I spotted a sticker from a local bike shop in Minneapolis. Check out the One On One sticker on the toilet stack! Awesome!!

I took a break at this overlook. Believe it or not, it's hard to find views like this in central Minnesota.

Eventually I found a spot outside of 18 Road Trails to set up camp for the evening. Some pretty fun trails here over the spines of the hills.
This is mid August and the awning provided ZERO shade during late evening. The tarp was a life saver.

Not at bad spot for a few nights...

jmeb

Observer
Great photos.

One on One is a rad shop. Their basement graveyard is the a dreamlane for bike nerds.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
They may look like trees but you're right. They are all cell phone towers. The reception out there was AMAZING!

Here's another stupid video.
Enjoy.
[video=vimeo;111144161]https://vimeo.com/111144161[/video]

Awesome... So Awesome.

Sharkfox

Observer
Yeah...That pipe sounds spot on doesn't it...

After Fruita, I made my way toward Moab. I must have found the only tree North of Moab. Set up the hammock and slept outside for a change...still in a hammock. At this point I can't imagine sleeping any other way.

Plenty of undocumented mountain biking occurred in Moab. I occasionally stopped for a few photo opps (let my lungs catch up with me). Here's a few from Amasa Back.

This was a great spot to watch the storm roll in..

After the storm cleared, I headed for camp. I found a pot of gold as well as a good spot outside of Moab.

Sharkfox

Observer
You know it jmeb. That boneyard is something to behold. You'd never expect something like that to exist in downtown Minneapolis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz