range rover classic vs. fj62

Where is it and where is it going to?

I have had good luck with only one company, but that's not entirely the industry's fault. My shop is tucked away in the Sierra Foothills and getting a truck out here is impossible with length restrictions on the local roads. They all say they ship door to door, but I always expect a call from the actual driver saying there's been a change in plans.

I'll see if I can dig up the name of that outfit.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I know both platforms well. IMO, the 1995 RRC is the pinnacle of Land Rover engineering. Its coiled, has A LOT of articulation, has TC, and wheels great. Tonnes of engineering went into the RRC, from late 70s to 95, it is simply an amazing truck; but VERY different beast than an FJ60. Most all parts are available for a 60, but not so with RRC. The Aluminum V8 in the RRC is VERY prone to sleeve slip, I leaned the hard way... A new or T sleeved engine is $6 to 8K depending on how much wrenching you do on your own.

The 2F in the 60 is very robust engine, but very under powered for todays use. Armor it up and load it for a long weekend of wheeling and camping and it will chug down the road like a Series 2 land rover 40MPH in the slow lane. That said, lots of drop in kits for V6 and V8 engine for the 60. At a minimum add at a chevy TBi to the carb. A swap to the H55 gear box is a prudent upgrade too, much better engineered tranny than the US 4sp. Lots of cargo space and simple to work on.

With both platforms rust and rot are the biggest factors in buying. Decent base trucks can be had for <$10K but with either you'll toss another $10K at it for end of life parts, sorting, and performance upgrades.

Between the two, my '95 RRC was my favorite off road truck: with both TC and f/r air lockers it was mule off road.

IMG_3068.jpg

JKU87

Adventurer
I know both platforms well. IMO, the 1995 RRC is the pinnacle of Land Rover engineering. Its coiled, has A LOT of articulation, has TC, and wheels great. Tonnes of engineering went into the RRC, from late 70s to 95, it is simply an amazing truck; but VERY different beast than an FJ60. Most all parts are available for a 60, but not so with RRC. The Aluminum V8 in the RRC is VERY prone to sleeve slip, I leaned the hard way... A new or T sleeved engine is $6 to 8K depending on how much wrenching you do on your own.

The 2F in the 60 is very robust engine, but very under powered for todays use. Armor it up and load it for a long weekend of wheeling and camping and it will chug down the road like a Series 2 land rover 40MPH in the slow lane. That said, lots of drop in kits for V6 and V8 engine for the 60. At a minimum add at a chevy TBi to the carb. A swap to the H55 gear box is a prudent upgrade too, much better engineered tranny than the US 4sp. Lots of cargo space and simple to work on.

With both platforms rust and rot are the biggest factors in buying. Decent base trucks can be had for <$10K but with either you'll toss another $10K at it for end of life parts, sorting, and performance upgrades.

Between the two, my '95 RRC was my favorite off road truck: with both TC and f/r air lockers it was mule off road.

View attachment 305332

That is a gorgeous rig...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elbee

Adventurer
If you want passion, heritage, and the spirit of the stiff upper lip go Land Rover.
If you want logic, dependability and well executed engineering go Toyota.

Thats why you see quite a few rovers with yota drive trains. Either is a decent choice range rover is well engineered but generally more complicated, all come with quirks.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I found a really good fj62. It has been extremely well maintained, with a more than a few extras. This time his story checks out ha ha.
Pics to come
With that being said, I still do have a thing for the RRC, i just need alittle more reliability, for the next year or two. Through all the research the toyota seems to have that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior