I'm scared; transistion from 06' taco to 100 series, counsel me.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Ok I am looking for the lowest miles possible 98-2003 Landcruiser/lx470. 2003-2005 gx470, 2005+ sequoia. I will consider an older sequoia if it is in excellent shape and low miles. Budget is 14k total includes mods. Puts me around $10k for the rig.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Well I bought a gx470. I'm flying to Seattle thursday to pick it up. 2005 with 143k miles 2 owners clean carafax, for $12k owned by a 73y.o. lady who's always has it serviced at Lexus! I was a little hesitant due to the mileage but the service history was impeccable. I like the horsepower gain of the 2005! All new brakes, tires, all fluids changed new battery all within the last 2 years. I think they might have taken her a bit due to her age but oh well.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
The more I read in this thread I want to trade my Tacoma for a 100 Series. lol...

It is interesting how a nice GX470 can be had for reasonable funds.

So what is the ideal year if any for the 100 Series LCs.

Are the ones without the adjustable susp known to last longer?
Or at least not cost as much to repair.

Years ago I had an LS400 that had the air ride. It was nice until a rear air shock died,
I wish I had known I probably would have just looked for a non air susp LS at the time.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The more I read in this thread I want to trade my Tacoma for a 100 Series. lol...

So what is the ideal year if any for the 100 Series LC.

Can open. Worms everywhere!!

There is no "ideal" year for the 100 series. Slee has a "newbie guide" on his website that will give you the skinny, (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm) but in a nutshell:

98-99 have factory rear locker and 2 pinion (supposedly weaker) front dif.

00-02 no more lockers, 4 pinion front dif.

03+ 5 speed auto arrives (claimed to improve fuel economy slightly)

06+ VVTi engine and AHC (hydraulic suspension) introduced.

I have a '99 with Old Man Emu suspension in it and otherwise pretty much stock. It is a fantastic truck. I would buy the best maintained, lowest mile 100 I could afford if I were you. They are all great, just different throughout the years.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Well I drove frome seattle to boise averaging 70mph. I got 19.5mpg. The rig is pristine condition. I have a folder full of receipts from the lexus dealer for the last 10 years. What a rip off for the people who I bought it from. $80 to change one headlight bulb. thats just the beginning...oh well glad it was babied! Ordering suspension this weekend. Thanks for all your help. I am very happy with my decision and don't fell like I settled, for me I just don't get hardcore enough to justify the 100 series. I have tons of power all kinds of fancy features. I really feel like I upgraded from my tacoma! I'm going hunting soon and excited to go off road!

wingysataday

Adventurer
Well I would post pics but they wouldn't look any different than a google images search of "silver GX470." It's bone stock. Soon I will be putting the lift and wheels on.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Congrats! What suspension and wheels are you putting on?
Question of the day... I'm a big fan of bilstein but from some of the pics I have seen comparing stock shocks to the bil 5100's they don't seem any longer so that concerns me that they wont allow full articulation. Old man EMU is high on the list. I will be replacing the rear air suspension with longer FJ coils and metal tech DIY kit. Their is also a guy on IH8MUD who placed air lift air bags inside the FJ coils and connected the stock air pump to them and he claims that his factory dial and pump work perfectly with them. I'm only looking for about 2-3" lift. I just don't like it when the back sits higher than the front, I prefer it ever so slightly the other way around. Wheels are gonna be difficult because I want it to remain somewhat classy, I'm not a huge fan of all black rims they just seem to always look like dirty wheels. Tires will be either general grabbver at2's or BFG all- terrain KO2's.

tjsean0308

Well I drove frome seattle to boise averaging 70mph. I got 19.5mpg. The rig is pristine condition. I have a folder full of receipts from the lexus dealer for the last 10 years. What a rip off for the people who I bought it from. $80 to change one headlight bulb. thats just the beginning...oh well glad it was babied! Ordering suspension this weekend. Thanks for all your help. I am very happy with my decision and don't fell like I settled, for me I just don't get hardcore enough to justify the 100 series. I have tons of power all kinds of fancy features. I really feel like I upgraded from my tacoma! I'm going hunting soon and excited to go off road!

Great find man. I would caution that dealer maintained doesn't always mean babied. I have found stuff done quick and dirty by dealers that needed fixing in used cars I've bought. Usually just small annoying stuff but its adds up when the door cards rattle or the window regulator wears out because of something a flat rate guy rushed at the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94