The "Az Crew" Thread

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
14th St Crew acknowledges this communication and is confirming three vehicles with a lease option extended to Shovel for a fourth. It'll cost you one penny, Shovel, over...

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Waiting to hear back from the missus about that weekend. I may have the whole family or just my chitlin, i can't fit everyone in the Mighty Max and don't want to beat up my DD out there. So... that's where i sit.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I was reminded that Jorge's 83 MM still has the crappy street tires on it (mismatched sizes) that shouldn't be traveling 75 mph on I-10, which is our preferred route to Tuscon. But, wait a minute. If Shovel doesn't respond, I can lift my 33's from my '86, put them on Jorge's '89 and take his 31's currently on his '89 and put them on his '83. All provided that IncorporatedX gets done with my '95... Come on, muh brutha.

John B.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
So far it is:
JBFP with 14th St.gang
Stroker explosion
Lord T.
PA_JERO (ME)

The maybe's:
Toast
Bull worker

Any updates on others coming along for this trip?

Toasty

Got my bed welded up some more, decided to make modified bed skirts and run those. So if anyone comes across a Gen 1 Mighty Max in the salvage yards let me know because i need front skirts to extend mine.

1110151212.jpg

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
It's hopefully going to be a big few days coming up. I haven't driven my 95 in over a year, but I think it's going to happen Thursday, as long as the IncorporatedX team reports all systems go. I printed up my $1 three day permit for emissions and related transport (the tags are long since expired) this evening, and since day three isn't technically until Monday, I have a five day permit. I probably won't get it to emissions until Friday after work, and even though I haven't ever had issues with getting this truck to pass, one never really knows. Providing it does pass, I'll probably elect to just pay ADOT their exorbitant late fees since I can't get time off to rot in a DMV office to sign their stupid papers saying I haven't driven it and I've been a good boy and all. Then I'll have just enough time to throw my camping and wheeling gear into the back so I'll be ready to roll on Saturday for the Chiva Falls extravaganza. It'll be fun to actually roll over some stuff with that thing again, as I've really missed having it ready. I only took one off-road sort-of trip this year, and it kinda sucked anyway, since my 86 isn't very hard core.

After this weekend, I'll have a chance to start going through the rest of the vehicle to sort out remaining issues and get it ready for next year's duties. Big thanks for all the efforts of IncorporatedX, Toasty, Pa_Jero and the rest of the fantastic AZ Crew for lending a hand. This marks the beginning of another 60,000 mile lease on life, and after that, it will still just need the timing components, not all this stuff that went in for this interval.

In case you, the reader, hadn't heard, there were a couple of unseen issues that crept up towards the end. First, there was an unreported hole in one of the valve covers that had to have been there since at least the last time the timing belt was done, prior to me buying the truck. It had been heavily RTV'd to prevent a leak, and InX saw it the other day during reassembly. Luckily, Pa_J had and extra set of valve covers (how lucky is that?) and donated one to the cause. Secondly, and this one really puzzles me, InX sent me a picture of what the previous timing belt replacer had done with the front main seal. He had deliberately cut a slice out of the outer metal edge of the bottom (I think) of the seal, ostensibly to accommodate what he thought was an oil return gallery or something. Obviously, this is what was causing the front main seal to leak for the entire time I had owned the truck. It gets weirder: the previous owner had returned the truck to the mechanic after the timing belt was changed because it was leaking oil after just a couple of days. The mechanic charged the previous owner again to tear apart the front of the engine and replace the seal, only to have the problem come back. What do you want to bet he did it to both seals? Just wait until I tell Monte3, the p.o. If that guy is still turning wrenches in M3's town, he'd better cover his ***.

Oh yeah, Jorge ordered his Aussie locker the other day for his 89 V-6. After we put his in, I'll know how to do it to mine...so I want one too! Maybe sneak some 4.90's in there, too. Gotta keep up with RyanY, who already has his done...

See you dudes on the trails!

John B.

Toasty

Gotta just make yourself a custom transfer case shift diagram, and transfer case shift linkage that doesn't indicate and won't allow a 2wd mode. No dyno, no CEL, no fail.

DUDE! i tried that with my '94! The testing facility even had a sign that had a list of do not test vehicles and Montero was on there (that's where i got the idea) Even though they likely meant the AWD Sport)) Anyway I stroll up all "hey this thing is AWD, do i need to go to a different place?" tech replies "No we can test it". So they try to run it on the 2WD dyno, it climbs off... they chock the wheels, it climbs off... Baffled, the tech calls his supervisor and i point out their sign on the wall. Now the supervisor tries to test the truck, wheels chocked of course and it climbs off the dyno. Then the proceed to fail my vehicle, so that trick didn't work for me. I bought a new catalyst and passed the old fashion way.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Secondly, and this one really puzzles me, InX sent me a picture of what the previous timing belt replacer had done with the front main seal. He had deliberately cut a slice out of the outer metal edge of the bottom (I think) of the seal, ostensibly to accommodate what he thought was an oil return gallery or something. Obviously, this is what was causing the front main seal to leak for the entire time I had owned the truck. It gets weirder: the previous owner had returned the truck to the mechanic after the timing belt was changed because it was leaking oil after just a couple of days. The mechanic charged the previous owner again to tear apart the front of the engine and replace the seal, only to have the problem come back. What do you want to bet he did it to both seals? Just wait until I tell Monte3, the p.o. If that guy is still turning wrenches in M3's town, he'd better cover his ***.

This one is new to me, i have not seen it in the 3000GT platform nor in the montero platform. But I do know that all of the mitsu engines benefit from some oil back flow modifications, typically done to the heads, this was definitely done intentionally and the clearance area aligns with two small oil return holes located at around 7-8 o'clock in the oil pump housing, so just below and to the left of the crankshaft. The area of modification aligned with those two oil galleys and might have been done as a result of a reported oil leak, thinking that oil wasnt draining into the pan and instead pushing over the lip of the seal and creating an oil leak.

Strange thing to me was that the timken seal and the oem seal JBFP bought had the same part numbers on them (typical of many seals being made by one company) but the one on the truck had a different number all together and looked slightly different.

here's a photo of the modification, it appears to be ground down with a dremel.
IMG_8183.JPG

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I wonder if the mechanic did that after the p.o.brought the truck back in to him after he did the timing belt the first time and it leaked. In any case, I'm happy you pointed it out. Since you didn't mention it, I suppose the crank and the bore for the seal looked acceptable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior