Locker only works in low range doesn't it?

A tip I read when starting out 4x4ing was to use 2wd until you get stuck, then use 4wd to get you out and home. Especially if you're out alone and have limited self recovery gear.

I disagree. You could become stuck to the point 4x4 wont get you out. If you are using a rear locker, you need to be in 4x4 first. If you want to leave the locker off to learn as a rookie, maybe. I would rather see a newbie do easier trails or join a group to learn. If you are in a group, you wont be stranded. To prevent abuse of a vehicle I advocate, use it if you got it and think you will need it. If it looks like you need low, shift into low before you start over heating. Rather then spin tires and beat the truck to a pulp, lock the diffs when you think you will need them.

nckwltn

Explorer
I disagree. You could become stuck to the point 4x4 wont get you out. If you are using a rear locker, you need to be in 4x4 first. If you want to leave the locker off to learn as a rookie, maybe. I would rather see a newbie do easier trails or join a group to learn. If you are in a group, you wont be stranded. To prevent abuse of a vehicle I advocate, use it if you got it and think you will need it. If it looks like you need low, shift into low before you start over heating. Rather then spin tires and beat the truck to a pulp, lock the diffs when you think you will need them.

I don't disagree :) The point is that if you assume you only have 2wd, you won't be doing difficult trails, or won't make it very far on a difficult trail. :sombrero:

group runs are the best, but not always possible

ljense8

Adventurer
On my 98 Gen 2.5 I am able to engage the center and rear lockers in 4hi and 4lo. I have only used the rear locker once in 4hi while going down a really muddy road in order to keep my momentum up. I was quite familiar with the road, so I was comfortable keeping a decent rate of speed (~20-25mph), otherwise, I would have gone around. At that speed with the rear locked, my Monty was quite tail happy, making for an exciting ride. I use the center locker fairly often during the winter months when our Michigan roads haven't been plowed yet. While not always necessary, it does tend to feel like it provides a bit more control through deep snow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
On my 98 Gen 2.5 I am able to engage the center and rear lockers in 4hi and 4lo. I have only used the rear locker once in 4hi while going down a really muddy road in order to keep my momentum up. I was quite familiar with the road, so I was comfortable keeping a decent rate of speed (~20-25mph), otherwise, I would have gone around. At that speed with the rear locked, my Monty was quite tail happy, making for an exciting ride. I use the center locker fairly often during the winter months when our Michigan roads haven't been plowed yet. While not always necessary, it does tend to feel like it provides a bit more control through deep snow.

So how did you engage the locker with it in 4-hi, care to tell us how you tricked the vehicle into thinking it was in 4-lo CDL drive mode?

ljense8

Adventurer
I engaged 4HLc and pressed the rear lock button. No trickery involved.

(edited to correct typos)

Last edited:

Bmp1

So back to the original question. What needs to be done so you can engage the locker at any time?

Bmp1

Ground the detent that inhibits the locker or hardwire the locker bypassing the locker computer.

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been around monteros very long. But seems like it's more to it than that. Wouldn't you need to bypass power to the air compressor? Is the locker electrical? I thought that it was pneumaticly actuated. Can you give more details on grinding the detent?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
There is a detent (a small switch barrel) it connects a ground when you shift into the different ranges. It then sends a signal to the locker computer telling it what range you've selected, these detents also control the dash lights so you may need to get clever. You could just bypass the computer, this will require a new locker switch (carling makes some that say rear locker) I think 3 wires. It's been a few years but you have power for the compressor and a ground wire for the rear diff indicator bulb, the locker compressor turns itself off at the proper pressure. It is a very simple setup when made stand alone. Just be careful because engaging your locker by accident at speed will shear the locking tabs off (diff will be fine otherwise) so you see why they inhibited it from the factory.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've never bypassed a locker computer, my trucks have always worked in 4WD any range. I have only wired lockers into non equipped trucks.

vanatee2000

Observer
You don't need to do anything special. If you are in full 4wd, with the locked center diff not awd, then the rear locker will work. It will work in 4 hi and 4 lo but not awd/4wd without center diff locked.

miloe79

Observer
I hope this helps, this is off the owner's manual from my 95 SR
8a10a6dea114f7a202ea75321c16d32d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94