My DIY solution to the UEV 440

Rutdigger

Watch This!
You have mad skills. Trailer is coming out awesome.

It's gettin there. I will be sooooo glad to get this thing out of my garage...lol! I am hoping to have it completed in a cpl of weeks...well, camping ready complete anyway. You never really get it "done"..Will post up some more pics after while.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Air bags installed in the springs. These will act as my bump stops:

250.jpg

Making a place for the wash basins. I was going to put a facet here, and I still might actually but for now I am going to try out a sprayer on a quick disconnect:

272.jpg

273.jpg

274.jpg

Fabbing up a spring loaded latch mechanism for the kitchen slide:

288.jpg

Adjustment for the t-handle. I may change this in the future but for now I am going to see how this holds up:

289.jpg

T-Handle release:

286.jpg

Awning track and awning rope has arrived. This is what I used to attach the tents to the trailer. I love this stuff. Professional seal and looks great:

293.jpg

294.jpg

More to follow..oh, had a great time on the Comal River today! Just sayin...lol :snorkel:

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Houston, we have a problem. As you can see in the pictures the bottom corners will allow water to come in when the water comes down the front slope and sides of the tent and trailer. If you can't see it there is a small opening at the very bottom that the track and rope could not cover. I racked my brain for days over how to fix this:

296.jpg

297.jpg

300.jpg

303.jpg

Solution? Make a rain sock of sorts. I created a trim piece that I sewn onto the tent and had industrial velcro on the bottom part. I then stuck the other half to the trailer all the way around the perimeter of the rain lip. The sock would then velcro to the trailer and shield the perimeter of the tent from the rain. Between the upper rain fly and this sock I think it will be able to manage a very heavy rain storm. Time will tell but for now I am satisfied.

Creating the sock:

299.jpg

301.jpg

302.jpg

298.jpg

After the sock was sewn to the tents and attached to the velcro. I think this will work just fine:

305.jpg

306.jpg

More to follow....

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Cut a square out of the roof for the Fan-Tastic-Vent...pretty nice fan. Three speeds, you can even get these things with a remote control, which is prolly what I should have done..:sombrero. I can't finish this up until I pull the trailer out of the garage to stay. Yup, with that vent on top it's to tall to get out so I will have to wait until I am ready to sew the top tent:

308.jpg

309.jpg

Added quick disconnect for the kitchen sprayer and the drain for the tank. Now, I know someone out there is thinking in their head, "those things are gonna get knocked off on the trail"...well, ya know, they might; if I took this thing on trails that had rocks or trees that close to the trailer. That obstacle would knock off the fenders and running lights (very bad) also...sooooo, I think it will be alright:

314.jpg

317.jpg

Fabbed and attached the propane tank holder for the furnace to the rear. Also buttoned up the propane light going into the furnace:

321.jpg

Began laying carpet and padding:

324.jpg

312.jpg

313.jpg

327.jpg

330.jpg

More to follow...

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Got most of the inside carpeted now. I put this mat on the bottom because I thought it would be good to catch the dirt; however, I'm not really diggin it. So I think I will pull it out and experiment with different lightweight flooring options. But here is a pick of how it sits now:

001.jpg

Here are a few pics of me playing around with a graphics theme. I am going to use an overhead projector I bought for 20bucks, print out some transparencies and paint them onto the trailer. I also need to get some good pics that are square to the trailer so I can really see what they will look like. But, anyway here are some pics of me playing with photoshop. See anything you like? I am leaning toward the compass:

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

020.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
Awesome build, I will have to go back again and read in slo mo. I hear you re build threads, they don't get many replis for the views, but people love em. I like the mountain graphic, maybe not that exact one, but that idea, just not angled.

I'm not getting the tent sock, is it like a gutter?

Again, great execution of an idea. I too love those Aussie trailers, but $80k just seems fr'e'aking insane.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Rutdigger

Watch This!
I'm not getting the tent sock, is it like a gutter?........I too love those Aussie trailers, but $80k just seems fr'e'aking insane. Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Man you aint kidding. Way to much money to be practical.

Ok, on the tent sock....I will go out and take a few pics for ya showing what it is actually doing. It's basically keeping the rain off the part what would allow it to drain into the bed area but divert it off the tent instead, much like a gutter would do....a pic will explain it better. Give me a little bit and I will get a few pics of it.

Ok, so I got back with some pics of the sock as I am calling it...what it is doing is basically shedding water off the main seal of the awning track and rope in the inside. This "flap" protects the inside...

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Great build, I want to see how you wrap this up. The devil is in the details.
I had a chance to snap a bunch of pics of one at Expo East last year they are impressive.
Keep it up!
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94